Who gets specials? - ProTeacher Community

snoopyfan70

Who gets specials?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I've been teaching in a bubble! I am just curious to know how many teachers/schools get specials(art, music, PE, etc.) and planning time during the school day? Also, if your school does have these special classes, how are they funded (district, PTA/PTO, grants)?

I work in a district where there isn't a whole lot of school equity. The schools in the higher income areas get art, music and PE teachers, while the Title 1 schools generally don't. My school has no specials, but I do get my lunch time, about 20 minutes, and do not have to pull "lunch duty," but that is thanks to our union.

Anyway, I am not asking so I can complain or whine, I am just curious!
Thanks!

snoopyfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote

ginadoo

Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have music, computer lab with Jiji and library time once a week, The kids are gone for 1 1/2 hours so we have common planning time with our grade level.
ginadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

SCTeacher1028

Specials
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work in a Title 1 school and we have specials everyday. Our specials consist of music, art, computer lab, pe, and library. In my previous school, our specials were art, music, pe(2 times a week). We also had character education (45 minutes), computer lab (30 minutes everyday), science lab(30 minutes a week) and library(1 hour each week). These were in addition to our specials. That was at a Title 1 school as well. I'm surprised that there are schools that do not have specials/planning period everyday.
SCTeacher1028 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

small, private school:
The parents teach PE once a week.
Everything else is taught by the classroom teacher.
The students have lunch and recess supervised by someone other than the classroom teacher.
SCS89 is online now   Reply With Quote

firstgrade130

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have 45 minute specials each day: art, music, media, PE, technology. This is when we have planning. We always have lunch duty. We (teachers and teacher assistants) have to eat in the cafeteria while the kids are in there.

firstgrade130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peachyteacher

Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have a 30 minute duty free lunch each day. We get a 40 minute specials (planning) each day. We have p.e. twice, art, computer lab, and music each week.
Peachyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

Duty free 45 minute lunch... but
Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

once a week we have morning duty from 8:05- 8:25. We usually have specials everyday... music and pe twice a week for 30 minutes, art once a week for 60 minutes, SSL (health, social skills) once a week for 30 minutes and library (but we go with the class). We are required to plan for at least 30 minutes once a week during specials. Our schedules are arranged so that all teachers at a grade level have at least one day with common "prep" time for an hour (half of which we are expected to use for collaborative planning). All is paid for by the school district. This is districtwide (Title I or not).
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

specials
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have 40 min of pe or music everyday and 30 min of library once a week. We do eat lunch in the cafeteria. One teacher has lunch duty and the other two teachers have recess duty. We area title 1 school and it is funded by the district. I have taught in 4 States and it has always been just like this.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Specials
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We don't use the term "specials" - I had never heard that term before visiting teacher forums.

We have 30 minutes of art, 30 minutes of music, and 100 minutes of PE (50 minutes twice a week) every week. They are funded by the school - I teach at a charter, and we are very fortunate. Specials are unheard of in the local public school districts. Most southern California districts don't have many or any at all.

I once worked as a para at a very well-off school where the kids got specials funded by the PTA. The title one schools in the same district didn't get specials.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

grade1year1

Specials
Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My kids in first have art, computer, health and library once a week.

Twice a week then we have gym, Spanish, and music.

And thank goodness we have specific teachers for each of the special subjects!
grade1year1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SwimmerGirl

Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I get a 40 minute duty-free lunch.

We don't have any specials at all.
SwimmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm at a small, private school, too.
We don't have specials, but this next year 3 of us plan to make specials happen. Three days/week, one of us will take all 3 classes (small size) and do music, art, etc. with all the kids and the other 2 will have a planning period. I'm excited! Now we just have to decide who does which topic.

If classes aren't huge, maybe you could swap with another teacher.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

seashell

specials
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Every school is our district has specials. Our school has 600 kids so we have our specials 3 days a week. Pe/Music Mon 1 hr, Computer/Media Tues 1 hr Art a week 1 hr Guidance 1 hr B week

Art pe music travel to another school thurs fri

No duty free lunch (WE USED TO HAVE THIS. new principal.

So thurs an Fri are long days
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

specials
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We have a 40 minute "special" each day - music, health, PE, art, tech. with a related arts teacher. The classroom teachers have scheduled planning and data meetings 2 days a week and the other 3 days are for our own planning purposes (grading, copying, contacting parents, meeting with admin, checking with nurse, etc...) I can't imagine getting all of my stuff done without those planning periods - and that is with me at school 30 minutes before my day begins and 1-2 hours after my day ends each day. We also have a "duty free" lunch of 40 minutes each day (although by the time we get our kids through the lunch line and get them situated, it is only about 30 minutes before we pick them up from recess).

I am so sorry for those of you who don't have those built in times for doing all of the other things that go with our jobs that don't involve actually delivering the lessons.
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

snoopyfan70

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Wow! It is neat to hear that so many kiddos out there are getting these things. I do feel badly for our students. My team (3 of us total) does our own round of Specials. We mix the students up because one class is ELD and it helps with their language and that way all the first graders get to know each other! We do a half-hour of art, music and PE. Nothing fancy, but the kids really look forward to it and we each have one lesson for the week and teach it three times. Our classes are too large to give each other planning time (27, 27 and 18).
snoopyfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 06-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We have Specials everyday. The kids go to PE three days a week, Art one day, and Music one day. They are gone for 45 minutes and this is planning time for teachers. We have grade level meetings with our admin. once a week during this time.

I can not imagine not having a this time during the day. I am surprised that some people don't have it.
TeacherMeg is online now   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

specials
Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have 45 minutes of specials daily. We use a 6 day cycle system with art once, drama once, pe and music twice each six days. We also have a 45 minute duty free/planning time lunch/recess. I saw someone above mention Jiji. We've had that for the last 6 years as part of our magnet program, but we lost it for next year due to budget cuts. Our kids LOVED jiji. We still have st music (piano keyboard lab) for one trimester of music.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Specials
Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We have specials district-wide. At my school they are 40 minutes every day and one days a week you have double specials (back to back) to give grade level teams 80 minutes of planning time together (we must plan together on those days, the other days we can do whatever during specials on our own). We have P.E. 3 days a week, Music 1 day a week, and Art 1 day a week. Then you are just randomly assigned one of those one extra time for that double specials day (my class had Music twice, others had Art twice).

The 40 min a day specials is the same throughout the district and paid for with district funds, but that once a week double special for each grade level is something my school (and many of the schools in our district now do it too) bought with a little bit of Title I funds.

We also have a 30 min lunch each day.
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our kids get music and PE every day for 40 minutes. These classes are taught by certified teachers in that area. We have lunch and recess duty one or two days per week.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

digitalkid4

Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have student taught in a Title 1 school where the kids get PE, art, music, technology, and library. The kids had one of these specials for 45 minutes a day. My teacher used this time to plan. She also had 45 minutes of free time for lunch to eat with the other teachers and talk about their day/plan. I am shocked to hear that some schools don't have any specials. I think that is just insane. Every child should have the opportunity to leave the classroom for a little bit to do something fun and interesting. I have never heard of schools that don't provide specials.
digitalkid4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bannister

Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I teach in a Title 1 school.

We have 3 specials: art, music and gym. We get each special once every 6 school days for 30 minutes.

We get library once every other week for 30 minutes.
Bannister is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Specials every day
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Every class has a 50 minute special each day plus one day each week we have a double special day. One of those periods are for Common Planning Time and the others are our preps. We have art, music, library once each week and PE three times each week to fulfill state requirements. I teach in a NJ public school.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Interesting
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I think it's interesting that so many are shocked about NOT having specials, and really speaks to the difference between states.

I am in California, and I was shocked when I got a job at a school (Title 1 charter) that DOES have specials. That's like winning the lottery around here. Both districts I student taught in had NO specials and MANY "duties" (recess, before school, after school, etc.) It's just normal around here.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbono

30 minute planning period per day+Hour Lunch
Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We get physical education twice a week, art, media (library/computers), and music! All taught by specially certified staff! Public school. Classroom teachers have a planning period at this time.

Kids have lunch for 30 minutes and recess for 30 minutes to make a full hour lunch break. Lunch Aides watch them while teachers take their break. We do have to take turns doing lunch duty if a lunch aide is absent.
mrsbono is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Specials
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Monday-Computer Lab for 40 minutes and Gym for 40 minutes
Tuesday-Gym
Wednesday-Library
Thursday-Music
Friday-Gym

The double times on Monday is one for plan and one for Team collaboration.

I have a 30 minute duty free lunch period. Every other week I have playground duty, so on the off week, I have some extra plan time.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Coyote8

Old 06-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Public School in Iowa: in a 6 day cycle I have 2 PE, 2 music, 2 art, and 1 library time all for 30 min. All are funded by the district moneys. I also have at least a 30 min. duty free lunch, and on some days it is a little more than that. We also have classroom guidance in the classroom with instruction for 30 min. 1 a month. I have 4 recess duties in a 6 day cycle for 15 min. each.
Coyote8 is offline   Reply With Quote

JunieBTeacher

specials
Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

In my school we have stated-mandated 40-minute planning period per day. Students have library, p.e., computer lab, music, and art taught by certified teachers in those areas. Arkansas also mandates a 30-minute duty free lunch daily and maximum 60 minutes lunch and/or recess duty per week. We are required to be available during our planning period for IEP meetings, parent conferences, grade level meetings, etc.
JunieBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 06-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Grades K-5 in our district the teachers have one 50 minute prep per day and 30 minutes for lunch. Recess duty is 4 days per week.

In grades 6-8 the teachers work on a 6 day schedule. Everyday they have one 50 minute prep period for specials: art, music, computers, Spanish. Plus gym is twice per week, and the classroom teachers have common planning time. So twice in a 6 day cycle you have two 50 minute blocks of prep time. Also lunch is 25 minutes long.

In grades 9-12 the teachers have 58 minutes of prep per day. All teachers have a homeroom/study block that is 50 minutes long. During this time it is essential prep, you just don't leave the room. However, teachers will make a run for the copier or print and leave the interior doors open between rooms. Lunch at the high school is 30 minutes.

I am in Massachusetts and work in a suburban school.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

I'm in a Title 1 school
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

and we have specials everyday - 2 days of Phys Ed., Library, Music, and Art, all taught by their respective teachers. Computer Lab is once a week with a Tech Teacher, but we stay with the class. We also have duty free lunch/recess. Each period is 50 minutes. Teachers that don't have a homeroom do bus duty and some cover lunch room duty as well. During the time the kids are at special we have grade level mtgs once a month and PLC team meetings as well. Of course there's always IEP mtgs, phone calls, you know - all the rest that we try to squeeze in!
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

AF1st

6 Day Rotation
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We have a 45 minute special each day that is our prep time with the kids out of the class. We can also schedule on our own computer for 1 hr and library 30 min during the rotation but have to stay with our kids. Duty free lunch for 45 minutes which is awesome - the only duty is after school crosswalks for 1 week every 6 week rotation.
AF1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Slipper

Specials/Planning
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

We have 3 days of 30 min. specials/planning and 2 one hour days. Our specials are music, library, guidance, and P.E. We share a P.E., music, and guidance teacher with another school. Our librarian is full time. We used to be a Title school but not anymore. We also have duty free lunch. We do shifts of morning and afternoon bus duty, a total of about 5-6 weeks during the year. Everyone has car duty in the afternoon.
Lady Slipper is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

45 minutes every day
Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I teach in a title school. We have art, P.E., music, computer, Spanish, and library. We have 20 minute lunch duty every day, but have a 30 minutes duty-free recess.

It's wonderful.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTip

specials here too
Old 07-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Title 1 school and our specials are funded by the district. We have pe, music, or art everyday. This is our prep time. We also have computers, library, and time for using a specific computer program created to increase math and reading skills - we stay with the students during these.
We have a duty free lunch, but have duty before school or at dismissal on a rotating schedule.
TeacherTip is offline   Reply With Quote

pkthru3

Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I work in a title 1 charter school and we have specials, P.E twice a week and music twice a week and go computer once a week.
pkthru3 is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Specials aka. Pull-outs
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

It is state law here that teachers have 40 minutes of planning daily so everyone gets PE, art, music, library, counselor. The schedule changes every grading period so everyone gets equal time for each. It is also state law that we have a 30 minute duty free lunch.
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

We get an hour of specials each day (K-5 school). It is required and our schools' must follow this requirement (we have a strong union).

My students have: music, art, science, PE, and library.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Specials:
Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

We have library, computer, PE, Art, and Music as specials for 30 to 35 minutes. We are a Title I school with a large ESL population. I can see in the future that these may be things that are "cut". Our art teacher was cut to 80% from full-time this year. He goes between two elementary schools and they cut one day out of his schedule. The music teacher also teaches between two schools and in addition is an assistant band director at the Jr./Sr. High. Our library and computer "teachers" are paras and paid like a para. The PE teacher also goes between two elementary schools in our district. I think this is pretty common in this area for them to work at more than one school. As far as duties, wWe do not have to do lunch duty yet because the paras cover them, but I could see that changing as well.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote