Anyone do guided math with Pearson Envisions? - ProTeacher Community

reesespieces

Anyone do guided math with Pearson Envisions?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'd love to implement a guided math format this year-and I want to make sure I cover all of the curriculum!

reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

EnVision math
Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do math workshop using EnVision. When we first adopted the series we followed it beginning to end. But with common core & my district pacing guide/assessment guide, it requires some skipping around after the first few topics. I really like all the vocab and deeper understanding of EnVision. I love it as a math resource. I do need to supplement a little but not that much. I'm not sure if that helped or what exactly your question was whether I answered it.
cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

Envision
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would also love to hear how you structure your math workshop using Envision. Do you use the games that come with it or make your own? I find many of the games to be more work than they are worth so I only use them every once in a while. What does your rotation look like? Any help/advice would be appreciated!
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

Math workshop
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's the article that got me started
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/t.../math-workshop

The thing I love about the article is how she explains that the highest group starts with the indep. practice because they can handle that. The lowest group starts with you.

math with teacher
math on paper (indep. practice)
math game

*This will be my 4th year of math workshop. Due to larger classroom numbers last year I added a 4th rotation (fact fluency- math fact practice)

I have a tub like this (double deep version for the game center)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-6/20699631
for each center to hold the supplies needed. The kids take them to the designated area. (math games- carpet area, math on paper- at tables with privacy folders, math with me is on the carpet by the smartboard)

I use a digital time from Dollar Tree for the rotations to keep us all on track.

The groups change for each topic (about weekly), but sometimes a few will be switched if I feel that I need to bump them up or down. I change activities daily, but don't feel that you have to in the beginning. I didn't and the kids were fine with that too (especially if they really liked the game).

I only use a few of their games. Sometimes I even forget to check theirs. I like more manipulatives & colorful games. Some good sources are
http://www.kidscount1234.com/Math Centers & Games Websites
http://www.k-5mathteachingresources.com/index.html
http://www.mathwire.com/
Also you can find game freebies on teachers pay teachers and even google images by just searching for the skill and using second grade or game/center in your search terms.

If you have any other specfic questions, I'd be happy to share what works for me.

reesespieces

guided math
Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

cre8tive_tchr-thank you so much for the info!! How do you have your students transition through the rotations smoothly, including cleaning up?

Also-what do the kids who finish the math sheet do when they finish early?

I was hoping to set it up pretty much exactly like you said!

I found inspiration from this website: http://pinterest.com/pin/149674387588700171/

She has-Math facts, At my seat, Teacher, and Hands-on manipulatives.

reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

Math workshop
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry I haven't been in here in a few days!! To transition I have digital timer from Dollar Tree (cooking section). I set it and the kids know when it goes off they transition. This keeps me on track as well!!! It takes some practice and they get really fast at transitioning after a while. The math on paper kids finish before moving to the math game. When they finish the important math on paper they place it in a basket. If they still have time, they get a paper from a binder I have in the tub. It says extra practice & I have pocket dividers that contain worksheets with review skills or more practice with the topic we are on. I try to include the types of papers that spell a phrase or have some type of coloring, cutting, etc. those are ones they like, but I usually don't assess. They have a choice to save those extra papers to finish the next day they have time or take them home.

Hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions

havinfun2

set up question
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like your idea on math workshop. Do you give a topic preassessment test to group the kids? If you do, what do you use for a preassessment?
havinfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote