Louisiana teachers...VAM scores? - ProTeacher Community

frecklejuice

Louisiana teachers...VAM scores?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was finally able to see mine today and I am officially Emerging Proficient. After 16 years of teaching, I am Emerging Proficient.

So frustrating. I know they factor in all kinds of things when determining these scores, but there are so many other things not considered. Umm...what about all of my kids being raised by grandparents, the ones who have a parent in jail, those kids that we reported to DCFS for suspected abuse, and on and on.

Don't tell me those things don't have an impact on a student's scores. Well, I guess I should be glad that I wasn't rated Ineffectve.

frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

teachz2

Question
Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is this your VAM for 2013 or 2012?

We didn't get our 2012 scores until March or April. I am wondering if it would take that long again? I'm in Florida.
teachz2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry! I'm completely frustrated with the system, and my eval is based on SLTs. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for those of you dealing with VAM!
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My best friends and some of my closest aquantances teach public school in the local parish. The lowest score I heard was 1.7 and the highest was 2.6. These are all teachers with 8+ years experience. The new VAM thing is horrible and is running good teachers out of the schools.

I see no way that a teache twitch 15+ years of experience who teaches at a magnet and consistently has the majority of her science students achieve the highest ranking on the LEAP exam should be getting anything lower than a 3.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

The VAM score is for 2013.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I find it rather pathetic that the scores were released late in the afternoon on the day before a long weekend. The school systems have had these scores since last week because a friend of mine who is a P in a nearby district told me she had her teachers' scores last Tuesday. She released her scores last Wednesday so her teachers could see them.

Anon4Now

Anon4Now

You're Not Alone
Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am Emerging Effective on VAM, as well. My score dropped quite a bit from last year, but my kids did really well on LEAP. Really well.

I just hope that with a new governor, we get a new state superintendent of education and that BOTH of those high-ranking officials value public education.

Hold your head high. EVERYONE knows that these VAM scores are a sham. Don't you love how you see what they expected your kids to score on the website NOW? Not before testing - now. I can only laugh at the insanity.

Repeat after me - "These scores DO NOT DEFINE ME. These scores DO NOT DEFINE ME."

Hariasa

teachZ2...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am in FL also. I got my score for the 2011-2012 school year in May when I had my final eval with my prince.

I moved to a new district in FL for the 2013-2014 school year and when I asked about the completion of this years final eval (2012-2013) he said he had no idea because they never told them when the scores for the 2011-2012 school year were coming until they came.

I also think the FEA or someone is fighting the scores and stuff. Not 100% sure on that and what is going on.
Hariasa is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

Successful PGPs, yeah, and
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

VAM 3, SLTs 3 and 4, retired June 1st
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I find it rather pathetic that the scores were released late in the afternoon on the day before a long weekend. The school systems have had these scores since last week because a friend of mine who is a P in a nearby district told me she had her teachers' scores last Tuesday. She released her scores last Wednesday so her teachers could see them.
I agree; it was pathetic! I was amazed at how late some districts are waiting: http://www.louisianabelieves.com/doc....xlsx?sfvrsn=2
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

BeStrong

Vam
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Where do I go to get scores? I am a teacher in Louisiana also.... I need to show growth....
BeStrong is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

Go to HCIS website
Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You probably had to input your PGP and SLTs on this website. You will have to log in and there's a tab for VAM.

scrapits

Vam
Old 07-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I won't know mine till next week. Scores didn't come in before I left on vacation. Now our administration is on vacation. I hate to see what my VAM scores is. My two eval and SLTs were all over the place. Why are we writing PGPs and SLTs? So tired of the paperwork!
scrapits is offline   Reply With Quote

cajunfrogdogs

So demoralizing!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't have my final evaluation/average yet, but I did log in to see each individual score, for each section of our compass evaluation. I was SHOCKED when I saw my VAM! BEYOND disappointed!!! I teach 4th grade math and my students did super well on the LEAP. Our school actually had the highest LEAP scores in our district. I cannot wrap my head around how I can score a 2 something on VAM but have an over all average of mastery on the LEAP. Really?! This direction that education has taken really scares me. :-(
cajunfrogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

cajunfrogdogs
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My kids scored really well, too. In fact, the grade level I teach was number 1 in the state on iLeap scores. It makes no sense. I had a 3.4 average on my 2 observations and really good iLeap scores but I'm emerging proficient.

It makes no sense.

scrapits

Just logged into mine
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Not happy with my score or the comments from evaluator. I wasn't ineffective, but I have to be observed weekly next year.

frecklejuice

scrapits
Old 07-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I didn't see any comments on mine. Where did you see that? Has your P set up a conference with you? My friend who is a P in a nearby school district says she has to meet face to face with her teachers to conference about the results.

I wouldn't worry too much about weekly observations. I don't think any administrator will follow through on that. After all, they are much too busy to visit classrooms.

scrapits

I think
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

it was on the evaluation tab. There is a part where the evaluator can make notes and recommendations for improvement. I plan to dispute part of the comment because it said we discussed the recommendations during the post eval. and that is not true at all. There is also a part where you can make comments. I think it's on the part where you submit final eval. I plan on saying quite a bit!

scrapits

Also
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Students' attendance is factored in. Two things I have no control over affect my score-attendance and desire/want to achieve.

Last edited by scrapits; 07-07-2013 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Word choice

frecklejuice

no comments on mine yet
Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My evaluator hasn't posted any comments yet. I wonder if that's supposed to be done after our conference.
scrapits
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 AM
This message has been deleted by scrapits. Reason: Too revealing

scrapits

Found out today
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

that teachers with VAM scores were evaluated half on VAM and half on admin. observations.
Non VAM teachers were half SLT's and half admin. observations. So why did VAM teachers have to write SLT's?

How can John White even think this evaluation program is fair to all teachers? Does the VAM make you want to work harder? Those of you who didn't score a high VAM, did your principals rake you over the coals?

genmom77

Louisiana VAMs
Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I couldn't believe attendance was factored in. My student who missed more than 30 days was at a -53. That offset my top student's +99. I've been teaching 32 years and had decent ileap scores, not the best due to being a school of choice and getting a lot of ill prepared students from failing schools. (However, many of those improved greatly from their last year's scores.)) Those with attendance issues did not.) I scored right at 50%. (barely proficient). I feel so terrible. My neighbor got an 11, just above ineffective. She was devastated as she works very hard. Her kids are already at the top, so can't improve that much. ( We had that problem when they first started ranking schools as we were at the top and didn't improve at the rate the state thought we should, but were way ahead of other schools in our district.) My principal had put a note of "very good," on mine, though I only scored proficient. My husband, on the other hand, an AP History teacher, scored Highly Effective with his SLTs. SLT's can be manipulated. I know of teachers who let their students work on the tests in groups. Others gave the test the day before and went over all the answers and then gave the same test the next day. Others gave the tests, didn't get the results they wanted, so retested. It's not fair to teachers with VAMS.
genmom77 is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

You're right!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

There's a whole lot that's not fair about Compass. I'll give it a try again this year, but can't make any promises about how much longer I'll keep teaching.