ARCHIVE

Town Themed classroom

>

teaches2nd

teaches2nd

Town Themed classroom
Old 07-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are getting a new reading series for the upcoming school year and I am trying to incorporate the town theme from the series into my classroom.
Looking for bulletin board/center ideas that fit the "town theme" not so much the "city theme". I made big book characters and was going ot make my job chart "community helpers" and student of the week "star citizen". Looking for more ideas.....

ConnieWI

Ideas!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are the mayor or town chairman. Your jobs could be things that need doing in a town...snowplowing, sanitation, electrician, road crew, etc. Instead of the public library, your library corner could be just library or classroom library.

Take pictures around you town of important buildings...make them larger and print them...then post them in areas around your classroom with slogans for the library, town hall, town garage, etc.

I went to the archives and typed in "town theme." You might want to do this. I didn't find much, but I think some of the city ideas might work for you.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachKids853

Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know if you live in a big or small town - and I don't know what book your using either....but I think it would be neat to go around you town and take pictures of important buildings (i.e. town hall, library, bank, park, maybe there is some old historical house in the town, etc.). I think this is kinda what the previous poster was getting at. But I think it would be neat for the kids to see!
TeachKids853 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

My class is city/town themed
Old 07-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe if you take a look at a short description of what I've done, you can get some ideas. If you're interested in any graphics, posters etc. I've made for it, feel free to contact me.

http://www.springfield.k12.il.us/tea...sinfo.php?b=04
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote
tshae07aQGQAB

tshae07aQGQAB

town theme...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love what you have done with your classroom, I am somewhat moving in the same direction. I'm going to TRY and create a 50's theme but like town in the 50's. We will see...

Where did you get your railroad crossing sign? Did you buy or make it?

Thanks for the great ideas!

teaches2nd

teaches2nd

Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Cute! Where'd you get the street signs?

2RinAZ

Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi,
Inspired by others I've "gone to town" with the town theme idea. I teach at a Catholic school so I've incorporated (which I always had) a prayer center (church) into my town. Here is what else I did after looking at Mr. Curry's pictures and wanted signs!

First I named my classroom LASER Town. LASER is an acronym for our school wide learning expectations. LASER Town consists of the Life-Long Learner Library; Active Catholic Prayer Center; Self-Aware Wellness Center (hand-washing, first-aid, healthy eating poster); Effective Communication Center (writing, post-office); and Responsible Citizen Town Hall (meeting carpet, classroom management posters including Stop-Think-Plan for which I have corresponding signs and also Fire Station job chart).

I was able to find many pre-made signs at Carson Delossa and Trend http://www.trendenterprises.com/prod...rchresults.cfm. Trend also has the fire station job chart. CD had a cute sign post job chart that I used to list the above centers and the town name at the top. For a welcome sign, I made a poster that listed the town name, my name as mayor, the population of our classroom, and mailing address so that it is a handy reference for our post office activities. I also put near the sign post, a map of our city, state, US map, and a globe so that we can get a sense of and learn about our place in the world. We do Flat Stanley so it is important to know about places.

I also found a couple of small wooden signs in a small shop while I was on vacation in San Diego. They said Awesome Avenue; Super Kid Street and a few others which I can't find right now! In addition my math center includes all of the manipulative supplies and money so that will be the supply store and bank.

Have fun going to town!
2RinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
teaches2nd

teaches2nd

Old 08-03-2007, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks! We do Flat Stan too. Cute ideas