Setting up classroom rules - ProTeacher Community

abby123

Setting up classroom rules
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need suggestions for good books to use when introducing and coming up with classroom rules for 3rd grade!

abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote

TwistingTeach

Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have schoolwide rules, so I haven't done this, but one idea I saw recently (maybe on PT, not sure) is to read the book Ms. Nelson is Missing and do a Venn diagram comparing Ms. Nelson's class to your class. You could then develop the rules from there.
TwistingTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

rules
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like to read Lily's Purple Plastic Purse because it shows what happens when she doesn't follow the rules.

I also read Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches which refers to doing homework.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am probably in the minority, but I don't do much with classroom rules in third grade. I figure, they have been in school for several years and they know the rules. Do I really have to write "Keep your hands and feet to yourself" on a list of rules? I would bet my salary kids know this already. I usually just quickly go over the basic school rules and tell the kids that since they're third graders and most have been in school since pre-k, I know they are 'experts' at school rules and don't need them listed.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lemonlove

Setting up classroom rules.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The books mentioned earlier are good ones to use. Something I have had great success with is letting the class create the rules. We talk about what makes a great class and then brainstorm some rules together. They then pick out the ones that they feel are the most important and number them. A poster is then created with all the rules chosen. If someone forgets to follow the rules (I'm sure that never happens in your rooms) I quietly ask them to go and read the numbered rule that needs to be reinforced. It has worked great. They have some ownership in what goes on. We also create a homework poster as a class. They are cute, personal, and unites the class to start the year. We revisit the posters later in the year to see if they still like what they created or want to "tweak" things.

lemonlove is offline   Reply With Quote

philliesfan67

Classroom Rules
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I combine two of the ideas already mentioned below. I read Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse as well and discuss Lilly's behavior in the classroom. The students then come up with 5-6 of their own class rules. Students share their rules and we generate a list that will be displayed on a chart throughout the year. The students sign the chart before it is hung up showing that they "own" the rules. This works great and I routinely refer to the poster when a student needs to be re-directed.
philliesfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote

rissable

Class Rules
Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There's a book I liked to use in second grade (and I think it's still perfect for third) is called "What If Everybody Did That?" by Ellen Javernick. Before I read the book, I tell them a story about sharing the road as walkers, runners, bicycle riders, and drivers. We discuss how important it is to follow the rules of the road and what would happen if everyone broke the rules. After this they realize that things wouldn't work properly if we break the rules and I point out how it's the same in our classroom. Then I read the book and we chart our rules.
I keep my list of rules quite simple: 1. Come to school ready to learn. 2. Let others learn. 3. Listen when others are speaking 4. Don't hurt anyone's feelings.
Everybody signs and we keep the chart up all year. Good luck!
rissable is offline   Reply With Quote