Conflict of Interest- Tutoring - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

Ms. J

Conflict of Interest- Tutoring
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am interested in tutoring students in my district this school year or next summer to earn extra income. When I approached my principal about it, he thought it was a great idea. I would never offer my services to current students (I do my own before school and after school interventions free of charge), but I wouldn't mind offering my services to others.

I looked in my district's contract, and I didn't see anything in particular written about it. Where would I find out whether or not this is a conflict of interest? There is no section on outside occupations or tutoring. I talked to another teacher who has been in the district many years, and she tutors previous students during the summer as well. She didn't mention anything about there being a conflict of interest either.

I want to make sure I have all bases covered before I move forward. Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA!

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

mommaharding

Tutoring
Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have several teachers that tutor during the school year and during the summers. Our districts only stipulation for them to do it for pay is that it has to be done before or after our work day is over. (7:45-3:45) I agree that you probably shouldn't tutor current students, but others would be fine. Our district actually asks for the names of those willing to do tutoring in case they have parents who are inquiring. Each tutor sets their own rate but I think it is typically $20. (half-hour/whole hour - I'm not sure) Good luck!

I did tutor a group of students in Math and then Reading one summer. (4 students) I did lower the rate a bit per student since it was a group.
mommaharding is offline   Reply With Quote

bri

Handbook
Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a clause that discusses outside work in our district teacher handbook. It's probably okay to tutor, I think the problem is usually with getting a large sum of money outside of work.
bri is offline   Reply With Quote

rwinters

Tutoring
Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district has a Reading Tutor List that was created to support Wilson Reading. I offer more than just Wilson. The district has said go ahead and tutor but no one from your own building. I want to say this was said by HR when I was hired. I go by the hour at $25 to 30 and I go to them or an agreed upon 3rd location--not my place. I work with the parents to determine how my time is spent. I tend not to take them into the school year.

Hope this helps.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In our district, teachers tutor students all the time. No conflict of interest.

BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

No conflict
Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

here either. We are just not allowed to tutor our current students. There are many times other teachers will need a tutor for a student and they send out a mass email asking if anyone is interested. There has not been any issues.
Peaches250 is online now   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Agreed that tutoring is OK as long as you are not tutoring your own students, and it takes place outside of your contract hours.

Some places are even more strict in that you cannot tutor on district property; my district does not have his stipulation.

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

no conflict
Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So long as they are not your students and it does not take place on district property. We charge $35-50 per hour.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote