Sailor/Nautical Theme - ProTeacher Community

Nadine7716

Sailor/Nautical Theme
Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know that the pirate theme has been very popular here, but I'm looking for some ideas with a Sailor/ Nautical theme. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Nadine7716 is offline   Reply With Quote

jane

Welcome Bulletin Board
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I once had an old fisherman in a rowboat out at sea. Below the boat I had a school of fish...each fish had a child's name...caught in a net. The caption was "What a Catch!"
Also once had a lighthouse bulletin board with beams of light each naming a good study skill. The caption for this was "Searching for Good Students". This could easily be adapted to most anything.

Last edited by jane; 07-16-2007 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: added more
jane is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachKids853

Grade Level?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What grade are you teaching? This may help me generate ideas!
TeachKids853 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

Welcome Aboard
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I purchased a BB set from CM several years ago, it had a large ship and a sign that said welcome Aboard. I can't remember if it came with smaller pieces too. I created sail boats on my computer, laminated them and put each child's name on a boat. It was cute.
teacher2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Indiana Teacher

Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sailing into _____ Grade

Reading - The Reading Marina
Jobs - All hands on deck!
Newsletter - Nautical News

Indiana Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cntrygrl009

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com has a bunch of items for sailing under its "Welcome Aboard" set: pencils, name tags, etc. Hope that helps!
cntrygrl009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Wendy S

Wendy S

1st grade teacher
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am doing the nautical theme as well this year. I was on here looking for ideas and ran accross your post so I thought I'd let you know what I had come up with so far. I am going to paint a big ship and put a white sail on it. The children will be drawn in the ship and their names will be on their shirts. Coming out of the ship will be a tire on one side with a child swinging in it ove rthe water and an anchor on the other. A pretty big one. My slogan I think is going to be "Anchor yourself in 1st grade." I have made pennant flags for over my door out of foam sheets and I am going to a pawn shop where I spotted two captain's wheels. I picked up a couple of fishing nets at the beach as well and I am going to just see what I can come up with. I always give a little welcome treat at Open House so I thought I'd give them sailor hats. Hope this helps.

teachin2nd

Me too!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm working on this sort of theme too. Anyone have pictures of a nautical theme classroom/ Any ideas of a job's chart title?
teachin2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

kate07

Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am working on a sailing theme for this next year as well. I am doing a lot of blue, white and red but trying to not make it look too patriotic. I am incorporating blue and white polka dots and red and white polka dots with the theme. I know the Hobby Lobby here where I live has a lot of nautical themed stuff to maybe hang up in the room. I am waiting for it to go on sale though. If you are needing any other ideas think of using lighthouse as well. You can say "Lighting the way to success" or something like that on a bb.

Does anyone have any cute ideas for a reading corner? I like the Reading Marina or Reading Dock that was mentioned earlier but I have no clue on how to make it look like a dock or marina. I am not that crafty.
kate07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nadine7716

Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am teaching 4th grade.
Nadine7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
James

James

Nautical Theme for 4th Grade
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a former merchant mariner on tall ships making the teaching switch, and couldn't give up the nautical ties. I am turning the classroom into a ship, renaming the parts of the class: port (left/red), starboard (right/green), forward, aft. Bulkheads (walls), sole (floor), head (bathroom). My desk in the back is the aft cabin.

Class activity to make a compass rose in the center of the room with heavy duty tape. Ten layers of cardboard to make a wheel. Giant pendant streamers. Paper mache anchor for class contract/rules "What anchors us". Huge carpet roll cut down to make portholes for the students to decorate inside, with bios. Blue Saran wrap makes good water. Behavior chart is a lighthouse with student names on cut-out boats: clear sailing, fog, stormy weather, demasted/torn sails? In the front of the room, make a semi cylinder (skipping the board) floor to ceiling for the mast. Assorted pictures of tall ships. Barrels and boxes for furniture. Don't forget birds and dolphins. Divide the class into ships of their naming for working groups.

Where does one find fishing nets?
Katie H

Katie H

4th grade nautical theme
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I got my netting from Costume and Display.# They also had glass floats,wheels, life preservers etc.# Good Luck!
elenat

elenat

nets
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I found mine at Big Lots on clearance. I'm going to use it for student of the week. "Catch of the Week"

TeacherStew

Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

How much do you spend on all those sailor hats? Trying to work within a budget on this end.
I am also doing a Sailing Theme. I am doing: Sailing into Second Grade on my door and I painted a large sailboat with my name on the bottom of it. Then I am putting their names around it. For a BB I am doing "Sea" Whose in Our Class and on the first day they will take a picture with a sailor hat on by a Wheel.
TeacherStew is offline   Reply With Quote
GrammarQueen

GrammarQueen

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Please be sure to use the correct homophone: "Who's in Our Class" instead of "Whose in Our Class." Good Luck!!

tchr4life

Great theme
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Your class activites are super! You can find fishing nets at most craft stores. If you show them your teacer's id you ususally get a discount. I would be interested in how you make the wheel with the cardboard. Do you mind sharing the how to?

Thanks alot
tchr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
aprilgibbons

aprilgibbons

Cheap rope
Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We bought upholstery piping to use for decor. Looks just like rope, but it's much cheaper.
leahlu

leahlu

Jobs idea
Old 08-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You could try a classroom jobs chart with the theme "School of Jobs". Strands of seaweed named different jobs while student names were on fish that could be moved to different jobs....good idea to laminate and use dry erase, that way when you use it again you won't have to make it all over if one job changes...I speak from experience I also hung white sheets/curtains to look like sails from the old sailing ships. I want to hang sea gulls from the ceiling...anyone have ideas where I can find them?

Tatha

nautical theme ideas
Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I did this theme for several years. Here are some ideas I used in my classroom:

Math Marina - posted sailboats with strategies written in the sails
Readers' Reef - put various sea stuffed animals in nooks and crannies of my classroom library
Writers' Wharf - had a net for a background on bulletin board; put student writing on the net using paper clips as hooks
SOS - (Job board) made rafts with job titles; found life ring tags at dollar store and wrote students' names on them; put ring on raft to assign jobs
Catch of the Week - Students' display board; switch papers in and out each week

Good luck!
Tatha is offline   Reply With Quote
SBGravett

SBGravett

teacher
Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

How about a baby back yard pool "dive into a good book" with some nautical pillows thrown in for comfort?
KFsurprise

KFsurprise

teacher and mom
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

For my reading corner, I was actually able to get a person to donate a tugboat sandbox they had posted on Craig's List. I washed it off and will be putting it in my reading corner with a big quilt for cushion. The kids can read in it during independent reading time as a privilege, or a reward...maybe the student of the week...not exactly sure yet!

ideasrfun

Sailing Theme
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am using your Writer's Wharf idea for next year. The other things I am doing are Sailor of the Week, and Mrs. _______'s First Mates. I found some very nautical border at Dollar Tree. I have been inspired by so many wonderful ideas. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
ideasrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs. Winters

Mrs. Winters

Nautical Theme
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I love ALL of these ideas. My school mascot is a Clippership so I am going with a nautical theme for next year. I am trying to find some ideas for a behavior chart. I normally do a stoplight but I want to do something different.

phoebe611

motivation or behavior
Old 05-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Think or Sink - have tips or behaviors/expectations on ships.
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote
kschiffer

kschiffer

Seagulls
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Hello. You can find sea gulls at Shindigz.com. Here is the description.

"sturdy 3-D paper sea gulls... Each package of twelve sea gull has a 21 inch wingspread and is 13 inches long. Easy assembly."