NC teachers--sick to my stomach - ProTeacher Community

sadtarheel

sadtarheel

NC teachers--sick to my stomach
Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read a post on another board titled "NC hates its teachers." Seems to sum it up.

(Disclaimer--most of this won't make sense to anyone outside of NC.)

I guess I never believed any of this would really pass.

Very glad I already have a master's, but am worried that they will end the grandfathering in of master's pay.

I read on another board that only 25% of teachers will be given 4 year contracts. That had me up last night tossing and turning. I am pretty certain that my evals are in the top 25% of my school, but that doesn't mean much. Again as noted on another board, once the relatives and the coaches are given 4 year contracts how many will be left? And if I get a 2 or 3 year contract, talk about a punch to the gut.

It seems so arbitrary. I have had principals who write the minimum on evals. I haven't had a real observation in probably 4 years. (They just stop in for 5 minutes and then write my eval as if they saw the whole lesson.) Don't get me wrong, I have always been glad by that since it means my principal isn't worried about my teaching, but contract decisions will now be made based on how the evals are filled out. Plus I teach in a non-tested subject, and how my subject's Standard 6 will be determined has still not been decided. So that means it might be based on some of the overall test scores of the school, which are not great.

Again as noted on another board, with competitive contracts there goes collaboration. And I am pretty certain that morale across the state will be horrible.

In my small town, there is no other job that I am qualified for that would pay as well as teaching. But I live near my family and so I will. not. move. even if I have to leave teaching and take a pay cut.

Just feeling horrible, stressed out, and angry.

Lady Teacher

I'm so sorry
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not in North Carolina but I definitely feel for you and my fellow teachers there. I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this stress right now. I know that in almost every state (I'm in Michigan) if you teach public school you are feeling unappreciated by the lawmakers in your state. Our governor here seems to hate public schools and its teachers. I hope that you get the contract that you are seeking. Hang in there, we are all bracing for the changes that are coming.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher24

Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry you are going through this. I always assumed that teaching outside of ny was less stressful. I don't know why on earth I'd think that

We are dealing with a new evaluation system, And new literacy and math curriculums that aren't even complete.
Seems like our entire system is going through the motions and teachers are getting the brunt of it and our children are really suffering
Hang in there.
teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 07-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Fellow NC teacher here. Don't worry about the contract part. I am not worried over it at all. There comes a time when one realizes that there is not much that can be done. Go in, do the best job you can, get a second job if need be to help supplement the income such as tutoring. I will provide for my students what I can. I will put forth 110% as I always have. Nothing will change on my part.
driventoteach is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had that sick feeling all week. I don't think we can worry about the contracts. If we do our best, we have to believe we will have a contract. The $$ is more worrisome. With no raise for several years, and now no differential for a master's degree, and cuts in equipment and staff (like CMS' teacher assistants), and vouchers to private schools, I'm worried that public schools are going to suffer even more. I think the only things that might change it is some sort of court challenge (maybe federal), voters get angry (maybe more likely due to the tax changes), or--most likely--corporations stop relocating to NC because the schools are so bad. THAT will get their attention.

teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Sadtarheel
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm afraid to say that what NC teachers are going through is going to be a trend. About three years ago FL leaders brought up advanced degree salaries.

I honestly don't know who they think is going to want to get into this profession the way it is going.

This is really a sad state of events
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

GLNUT

Honestly
Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

(I teach in NC)

I believe the vouchers will only go to students who qualify for reduced/free lunch. That's what I read in the bill. Private schools don't provide transportation, private schools don't put up with crap. Some parents of chronically misbehaving students may jump on them, the whole grass is greener on the other side thing. I think some of the kids might go, but a lot may end up back in public school, not private school. This is not in any way saying that students who qualify for free and reduced lunch are bad. I myself was a reduced lunch kid, as well as my own children on occasion during my teaching career. (See how low our salaries are??)
GLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Root cause
Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The hate directed at public school teachers these days isn't random or accidental. Much of the public school bashing is quite deliberate, and sponsored by under the radar groups like ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council. Sounds benign, however, it has the ultimate goal of destroying and then completely privatizing public education. Think of the money that could be saved! Think of the uppity public school teachers that can be turned into desperately willing robots! Yes, I know this all sounds too incredible, but that is the goal, and that is what is happening all around the country. No wonder so many teachers are stressed. Now we all know how a lobster feels as the water gets hotter and hotter.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This attack is also financed by the Walmart Corporation...the folks that bring teachers all those cheap school supplies and pay their employees lousy wages Time for all of America's teachers to get real and stop the Mother Teresa behavior
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

oreocat

I'm sorry...
Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just want to send you my sympathy. I am in Georgia so I have been watching closely what is happening in North Carolina. This crazy scheme is something our crackpot legislature would do! What are they going to do when no one wants to teach? It will happen! I was at my cousin's house this summer and his daughter is going to be a sophomore in college. She had a group of college friends with her. I told all of them not to become a teacher! It saddens me that I have to say these things, but this craziness will end when no one goes into teaching. Please be careful who you vote for. Our jobs depend on it!
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

I am so sorry
Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What a sad state our country's educational system is in.
I'm afraid it will only get worse. As the pp said, soon there will be no one going into teaching.
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote
sadtarheel

sadtarheel

Thanks for the support
Old 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you for the kind words of support. It is so disheartening for this to happen when we are gearing up for a new school year.

I have always felt valued by my community. I have never felt looked down-upon. I always felt respected. At a local level I am sure that will continue. It just feels like the legislature has a personal hatred towards teachers and public schools. It feels like it is beyond just policy decisions but it feels personal.

Queenie Peavy

Standing With You!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am one state away and have been watching with despair! Our professional association is planning a trip to Raleigh to stand with our NC colleagues!

I just keep thinking that something has got to change! What is unfolding in NC and in other states across the nation is nothing short of tragic. In the end it is the children that will suffer the most! When will the people wake up and stand behind us?

Keep your head up and keep on keeping on!!! Continue to do what you do best.....keep putting the kids first and keep teaching your hind-end off!

Certainly, "this, too, shall pass"......
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

NC teachers
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

was just the topic of an e-mail from my union president. Worries here in NJ too - our governor isn't exactly a friend of the public school teacher. Best of luck to you -it's really difficult when so much is out of our control.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Education in NC has been on the decline for several years. This is nothing new! I am sad to say our former governor and current governor have no regard for what quality education is or what to do to get it! Can't blame it on one party or the other because both were from different political affiliations. I call it the "I lost my brain when I got into office" syndrome! It is very sad!

The best is that the secretaries for those higher ups got a raise because our governor wanted to make sure they could live......mind you they now make over 100k. I wonder if any teachers could find a way to live off that?

They will find out...you get what you pay for! The good ones will leave and find a different job/career and then they will be stuck with poor teachers. It will only further ruin the schools, thus people will leave the state! Low cost housing, compared to other parts of the country, will not be enticing if the schools get worse. Our college system will either have to lower their standards or accept more out of state students because with crappy K-12 education the local kids won't make the cut!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We are right behind you here in Louisiana. We have vouchers, value added/Danielson evaluations, state department full of TFA/Broad Academy graduates (even the state super of ed). My pay will be lower. loosing part of National Board Stipend and insurance going up. They haven't started the contract thing yet, but tenure is out. Those with it can lose it in two years with poor evals/scores. And those without it can never meet the requirements to earn it. My point is....you are not alone.
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I teach private school in Louisiana, but my best friends teach public school. They are so stressed out and miserable for the most part.

NC teachers, you are not alone.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote
Da Da Da

Da Da Da

TFA to the rescue!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It is a good thing TFA teachers will be in Charlotte, North Carolina after their EXTENSIVE 5 week training.

anna

Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Can anyone shed light on what Perdue,the previous Democratic governor,did that did not ensure "quality education?" Let's call "a spade a spade." If one party is anti teacher,let's have the correct info and the guts to say it. Teachers need to get more informed and more active if they hope to save public school classrooms and their right to fair treatment.

Last edited by anna; 07-28-2013 at 06:25 PM..

Gr8Profession

Indiana hates teachers, too.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We are feeling much of same pain here. But, in our last election, the Superintendent of Public Education who had the support of the Governor was unseated by....hold your breath......an EDUCATOR (who respects other educators)!

Well that is simply unacceptable so now we are hearing that the legislature is going to try to make the Superintendent of Public Education an appointed position. We'd hate to allow the voters to put someone in office who actually respects education, right?
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote
Lului

Lului

Lului
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

NC is not alone for sure! I'm sure you all heard what is happening to schools in WI! Our governor broke our union and is all about vouchers for private schools. Teaching was once a respected profession but we are now "all that is wrong in the world." Morale is so incredibly low here. It hit so fast (few months after he took office) and we are still trying to figure out what happened! Few realize the real effects of this unless they are in the trenches. The next thing he is pushing is that teachers need not be trained specifically to be teachers...anyone w a college degree can teach. Imagine surgeons not having to be trained as drs or accountants w/ philosophy degrees! It simply means we are totally devalued!
I have been a dedicated teacher for 22 years! I have had a passion for learning and children but I am wearing out and for the first time in my career, am not looking forward to a new school year. It hurts my heart. I don't want to feel this way. We are being overwhelmed with more rigorous expectations and lower support. This whole evals being tied to test scores is creating such competition not cooperation too. Does anyone realize our students are not all created equal? Some have greater abilities in tested areas than others but we are expected to get them all to the same level? Is that reasonable? I feel like my students are no longer considered people but robots!
I teach in a small rural area and yet I'm sorry to say, we aren't raising our kids fairly either. They need and deserve more boundaries and less "things!" Kids are making decisions and running families as if they were developmentally qualified to do this! It's not fair to them! How about kids do kid things, parents parent, teacher teach and corporations & government ask what schools need to be successful vs. telling us how to do it?

teachnkids

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
Can anyone shed light on what Perdue,the previous Democratic governor,did that did not ensure "quality education?" Let's call "a spade a spade." If one party is anti teacher,let's have the correct info and the guts to say it.

If this was directed at me, you need to make sure and read my comment completely. I did not stand for either side. Both sides have trashed education!

Education in NC has been on the decline for several years. Perdue, a democrat, cut funding, thus increasing class sizes and reducing the dollars available for supplies. Teachers did not receive a raise for several years under Perdue. Those are the things I can quickly remember.

Now McCrory, a Republican, is making more cuts.

Both sides are trashing education. I am informed. I see it happening all over my state!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

GLNUT

teachnkids
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

is correct. We lost a lot of TA's under the democrats too. We also got furlough days that can only be used when the kids aren't in the building.

It's all politics. They (both sides) are pandering to the people. Teachers have steady jobs/benefits, etc... So jealously rears its ugly head and so to be seen as proactive they come after the teaching profession to "save money". People are buying into it. Take a moment to look at any major tv station website with stories about the budget and the protests. Read the comments under the stories they tell it all.
GLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have been so hot over this budget! The thing that I think is a little amusing is that low income students will be eligible for a $4,200 private school tuition assistance. I have yet to find a private school whose tuition is around that number. The private schools will just raise tuition so that they can remain exclusive. If you have a special needs child, it is very difficult to find a private school with the necessary services. That tuition assistance is not going to do diddly squat for admission to private school!

My personal favorite- giving members of the cabinet an 11% raise- "so they can afford to live". I dare say that many members of that cabinet don't have the education that many teachers do. I do so hope they can stretch that $100,000+ salary so they can scrape by.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Hit the nail on the head, NCteacher.
driventoteach is online now   Reply With Quote

violator90

NC Teacher Who LEFT!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I used to work in NC. Part of me thinks my principal intentionally gave me bad evaluations not only because he didn't like me, but because he worried about merit-based pay and me becoming unaffordable. The majority of my class made the equivalent of two years of progress (not one). I had 100% parent satisfaction and many of my former families are using me as both a tutor and a homeschool consultant now.

Resigning from the public schools in NC was a happy day in my life. My only fear is that the negative evaluations (which do not in any way reflect my performance) will become exposed if I ever have to return to the state (or even look for another classroom position). However, I'm not listing the dishonest principal as a reference (my team leader is my reference from that school; I know enough people from the buildings up here and do plan on subbing when i have breaks in my tutoring schedule to keep feet in doors--hopefully only at private schools).

I'm not really going to gripe about the pay. I don't need a ton in life--sure, it would be nice to take a vacation to Hawaii every year, but do I really need that? I'm in this profession to help kids learn, and I started my tutoring business because that's why I'm here, not to listen to a bunch of two-bits dictate how we have to read out of a Lucy Caulkins book or why we need to test kids every day instead of giving them assignments that actually help them develop what they need to be INNOVATORS in the world, not a bunch of SHEEPLE.

I really hope I never marry someone who gets transferred to NC. I loved the actual state, but the school system is the worst joke in the country.

Did anyone hear about the MAP tests they're going to start giving? Yes, more tests to the point where the entire show is going to be a bunch of power-hungry facilitators jamming tests down everyone's throats.
violator90 is offline   Reply With Quote

hopey

Won't help the state
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I too am in NC.
I believe the plan is to extend the voucher for higher-income families in the coming years.

The cuts in education will only make NC a less desirable place for companies to relocate to, thus hurting the economy even more.

I predict we will lose many talented young teachers to surrounding states. I am near the state line so I may look at another state as well when I gain more experience.

Even our local conservative newspapers are critical of the legislature for its attack on education.

Very sad for NC kids.
hopey is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

All teachers need to carefully vote in all elections and go as far as volunteering for the political campaign that best supports a core belief in public schooling without voucher games and TFA involvement. A careful look at teacher unions and the benefit of "political involvement" would help everyone ,including the students. Our profession can be well respected and valued like it once was but this takes work and cohesiveness..the willingness to look for and work for the greatest good for the greatest number.

Good luck to all of us as we begin the new school year.