Cursive in First Grade?!? - ProTeacher Community

tchrrx

Cursive in First Grade?!?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was visiting with our first grade teacher yesterday when I noticed her new handwriting books. (private school, new curriculum in language & writing this year) She said, "I haven't looked at the writing yet. I wonder what it's like." So, she opens up the packet, and it is cursive! Not only that, but halfway through the book, the lines aren't much bigger than notebook paper lines. What?!?

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

oh my!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bet it is ABeka curriculum. They insist cursive is the way to go... they never convinced me. Children live in a print world. How often is cursive used today? I have thought how hard it must be to teach children who are still not knowing up-down left right to begin a letter mid air. When I transitioned to cursive in second I cheated using the over head projector with a page to trace...
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Cursive
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will be teaching Second Grade this year after decades in First. I can't imagine teaching cursive in First. I believe cursive is an important part of learning, for both brain development and historical value (many historical documents are written in cursive and we need to be able to read them.) I will begin cursive at the end of the second grade curriculum. (Catholic School)
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

Becca

Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a friend who teaches K in a private school setting. She teaches cursive.

I am not sold on it. I do think that MHugs brings up a good point. How often do we see cursive now? Not very. I do think it's important to teach, but I don't know that it's developmentally appropriate for a kindergartener for first grader.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My school teaches aBeka reading and Language, but does not use the handwriting program. The students write in print till halfway through 2nd grade then transition to cursive then. Our admin believes kids should get a good grounding in print before transitioning to cursive.

Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Ridiculous!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, private schools love to say that they're 'advanced.' As far as I've ever seen (and I've had a dozen kids come to my school from our local private school) handwriting is the only thing they're 'advanced' in!

A professor at our local university did some research on handwriting a few years ago and presented her findings to our school district. She said that waiting until 3rd grade is the way to go as far as motor development. It's like potty training - you can push it to kids younger and younger and SOME are ready, but for the most part it's easier if you wait a bit.

So, we switched from introducing cursive in 2nd grade to doing it in 3rd. I teach 3rd and cursive has never been difficult- mostly kids are just dying to do it by that point.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As others have said, most kids' fine motor skills are not ready for cursive until 3rd grade. Also, kids need until 3rd to hopeful develop legible printing! I am also surprised by the number of students who have acquired an odd pencil grip, so I'd prefer that k-2 concentrate on print and grip.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

time4class

third grade
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have never taught cursive until 3rd grade. I wonder if we should be putting more emphasis on keyboarding skills.
time4class is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

The curse of Cursive
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Expecting kinder or first graders to write in cursive is absurd! They aren't developmentally ready for this fine motor skill. Even 3 graders struggle with it. I think, if you can write your name in cursive that is enough. With CC, more emphasis should be on key board skills. Is there a CC standard for cursive?
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

excitedteach

cursive
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our school starts cursive in K and the kids write beautifully and if they master cursive (which most do) then print is a snap because they are very careful with letter placement and formation. It is VERY helpful for kids to learn how to space words on the page, I have kids that print awfully but then I ask them to write in cursive and it is neat, legible with space between words. Once they see the difference their print improves. Curved lines are much more natural for a small child than straight. My 2 cents.
excitedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We have a small private school in our town
Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

that used to insist on teaching cursive in kindergarten and first grade. Their kids would switch schools and come into the public school and be totally lost. Not only was their cursive poor, but reading was poor because they didn't recognize many letters in print because they learned cursive. A few years ago, they switched hired a former public school teacher to teach first grade. She switched them over to print, and that solved that.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My daughter learned cursive in Kindergarten. The theory was that , if you look at younger kids and their scribble, they are making the kinds of lines written in cursive. Also, print motor skills are very hard. Drawing a line, then picking up the pencil and trying to put it on the exact spot that you started....

My DD's penmanship is beautiful - both print and cursive!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

amccollum

Cursive in UK
Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In the UK and other countries, the students start cursive very early. The handwriting is more a 'joined' print. I can attest that the student pick it up quickly and easily. They like it because it allows them to write quicker, without picking up their pencils. Also, for younger students, spacing is not an issue because they only leave a space if they are writing a new word. Here is an attachment showing how most students in the UK write their 'cursive' letters. You will notice how simple the formations are. You'll notice some differences between how we were taught in school - e.g. the b, f, r, s and z will surprise you. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B370...it?usp=sharing
amccollum is offline   Reply With Quote