Help

ARCHIVE

Favorite "Ice Breakers"

>

javagirl

Favorite "Ice Breakers"
Old 07-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Susanteach's post about a back to school list got me thinking about new ice breakers for the first day/week of second grade. I'd love some new ideas.

javagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

back to school link
Old 07-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This link has A LOT of back to school ideas. I haven't looked at each one, but a few are really cute. I will also be teaching second grade next year (for the first time!) I hope you find some of these helpful

http://www.lessonplanspage.com/BeginSchool.htm
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

love2read

icebreakers
Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I make up a questionnaire for the first day of school. It has questions like "Find 2 people who went to the beach this summer" or "What is your favorite color? See if you can find anyone else who has the same favorite color." Then there is space to write down names under each question. They have to go around getting answers without using the same person more than once. It helps them see what they have in common and it gets them talking. I also do the "Getting to Know You Bag". Everyone brings in a lunch size brown bag with ONE thing in it that tells something about them. For example, it could be a favorite book, a special picture, something they made at camp, etc. We do 5-6 bags a day during a special sharing time so that by the end of the first week everyone has shared. Of course I make a bag too and I do mine first to model how to do it and to help them know me. I also have letters for them written by last year's students welcoming them to class and telling them a little about what to expect. After they read their own letter, they share it with the people at their table.
love2read is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. J

Two more ideas...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sweet Way of Getting to Know You:
Give each child a small bag of M&Ms or other candy. Direct him/her to reach into the bag w/o looking and remove one piece of candy. Have students holding the same color form a group. In turn, ask each group member to introduce him/herself and share one interesting fact about him/her. Repeat. (You can ask specific questions to guide younger students!)

Toss and Tell:
Make two oversized cubes by covering tissue boxes w/ craft paper. One one cube, write the numbers 1-6. One the other, write things that children can tell about themselves: such as, "my favorite stories," "things I like to do," "my favorite foods". Gather children in a circle and model the game by going first. Toss the cubes, then tell something about yourself based on how they land. For example, if you rolled a 3 and "my favorite foods," you would then name three favorite foods. Let the children continue, taking turns tossing the cubes.
Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote