Help

ARCHIVE

Homeworkopoly

>

Tink898

Homeworkopoly
Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use Homeworkopoly in their classroom, and if so- how? I know it is for homework, but do you use it every day, do you use it for other things, do you use other things along with Homeworkopoly? I would appreciate anyone laying out their plans, thoughts, and effectiveness of this game.

Thanks!

Tink898 is offline   Reply With Quote

3rd Grade Rox

Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This was my first year playing Homeworkopoly and my students LOVED IT!!! We would only play on Fridays right after lunch. It takes roughly 15 minutes to play. I would only let students play who had turned in ALL of their homework ALL week ON TIME. It turned out to be a great game. It did help to motivate MOST of my students .....but those that never bring in their homework just can't be motivated by much. I definitely plan on using it again next year.
3rd Grade Rox is offline   Reply With Quote

zookeeper3

Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been using it for two years now and still love it!! I agree that it is a great motivator but there are still a few that refuse to turn in any homework. No problem, they just don't play. The one thing I need to change are the cards that take away my lunch time (have lunch in class with friend). I just can't do that anymore. Maybe because I had an extremely needy class this year and I sooo needed that break! Oh, and we only play on Fridays and my homework is just a reading log. It needs to be turned in first thing in the morning and every little thing needs to be filled in.
zookeeper3 is offline   Reply With Quote

purplealum

Question
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea of only playing on Fridays... I will have 100 kids and was afraid that it would take up too much time. I do have a question for y'all... what about late work? To play on Friday, do they simply have to have everything in no matter if they have 5 late assignments??? Any info is appreciated... I'm trying to work out the kinks so that I can use it next year! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
purplealum is offline   Reply With Quote

jensw

homeworkopoly taking up time
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you have honest students, you can have running Homeworkopoly be a "job." The student in charge just has the players come up, roll the die, and move the pieces. You don't have to be involved at all.

I went with writing the names of the players on the board, and it was their responsibility to see me at recess or lunch to play the game. Didn't take up any class time at all!

jensw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

board question
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm going to use it for the first time this year. I have all the board things printed and ready to go. What do all of you use for the board...poster board, foam board, or something else? And, where do you keep it during the week and manage game pieces when not in use? I'm just wondering about how game pieces stay in place and not get moved, knocked off, etc. Thanks!
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

lzteach3

What grades?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What grades does this work with?
lzteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Homeworkopoly
Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have used this reward system for the 5 years I have been teaching. It is a huge hit with most of my students and I do have a pretty good success rate for homework turned in on time and thorough.

My students play it at the end of the day on Monday if they turned in all their homework the previous week. I allow my students who have turned in their homework on time and everything is complete to roll twice. If there are some students who maybe forgot to do a couple of problems or didn't have the neatest handwriting, I let them roll once. That way, I am not punishing them for only forgetting to do some problems or their handwriting wasn't the neatest.

I use little cutouts for their names with push pins. It is up on a bulletin board because I feel that it is more of a motivation if they see it all the time in the classroom.

If one of my students does roll twice and doesn't land on anything that will give him/her a prize, I let them pick out a piece of candy so at least they get some reward for doing their homework.

I have attached a picture of my board and how it is set up. One of my students took the picture for a powerpoint we did, so it is not fully centered. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

Bethany
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for sharing your picture! Did you use poster board? My bulletin board space is premium, but I might be able to buy rolled corkboard and have it mounted on a wall somewhere. Even then, most of my walls have shelving/storage around them, so easy access is still a bit of a problem. A wall area is still going to be a better option than placing it flat on a table somewhere. Oh well, I'm bound and determined to use it this year!
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

More detail...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What puzzles do you use for the brain blocks? Must they answer that question immediately or do they have a day? I was thinking of using review questions but that requires prep work that I might not be able to keep up with like I always hope.

imau2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Jalon...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My homeworkopoly board is set up on a bulletin board behind my computers in the classroom. I think it would work great what you mentioned about using corkboard...easy storage behind a file cabinet or something when you aren't using it. I'm like you, I don't have very many bulletin boards in my classroom and no wall space at all since I have all windows on one wall and bookshelves on the other wall. I just felt that Homeworkopoly was important, so that is why I chose to use one of my few BB in my classroom to set this up. Let me know what you decide...I'm curious because I might want to use you idea!

Bethany

imau2u...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If a child lands on the brain binder spot, I have websites saved in favorites on the computers in my classroom. They are websites that are brain teasers and the kiddos love them! I let them play for about 20 minutes if they land on that spot. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work, but that's how I do it in my class.

3rd Grade Rox

Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

purplealum- I only allow students to play who have turned in ALL of their homework all week. I accept late homework, but they know they can't play Homeworkopoly.

Jalon- I just put my Homeworkopoly board on poster board, laminated it, and then superglued magnets on the back. I keep it on my back white board. The students' game pieces are clothespins. I've written their name on it plus I attached a small piece of velcro. On the velcro I put some of the game piece pictures that come with the Homeworkopoly game. the game pieces are cute and when a child moves, I can give them the clothespin and I keep the game piece picture. Does that make sense?

As for the brain binder, I thought the puzzles were too hard for my students. So I let my students do Mastery Club or play Brain Quest during our Reading time. That's all I've been able to come up with for Brain Quest. I'm anxious to see what others do for that square.
3rd Grade Rox is offline   Reply With Quote

teachil

Homeworkopoly
Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Have any of you changed the names that comes with the prewritten version of it or just use what is there?

I have seen a lot of this Mastery Club...do you have to have a classwesite in order for your students to participate in it? I think its a great thing to have and would work well for the brain binder.

I think 3rd graders would love this homeworkopoly. I have only taught 2nd and little nervous to do third but sure it will be fine.

3rdgraderox----I like the clothespin idea, but I don't think I get the clip art velcrod to the clothespin though. They give you a game piece in excahnge for clothespin? I think the clothespin idea would def. keep the board looking neat.

PLACEMENT IDEA: I think I may magnet the back of mine and place it on the front of my teacher desk and then move it when needed to let students play.
teachil is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Like the Mastery Club idea, now can someone explain it to me...???

Mariely

Mastery Club
Old 07-21-2007, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The best way for you to know more about the Mastery Club Idea is to visit Mrs. Renz's Class Site. She's the one that began the idea. Here's her website:

http://www.redmond.k12.or.us/mccall/...asteryclub.htm

I use Mrs. Renz' idea on my website and I changed the name of the Mastery Club to suit my needs (which a lot of teachers do). Here's the link to my "mastery club":

www.sanchezclass.com/intellectual-wizards-club
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Do you have an answer key or do you look up the answers as they turn them in? How do you keep track of which ones the students have completed? Do you have a large chart or Excel Spreadsheet? Interested in how you manage it, thank you for all the help.