Painting Classroom...Help!!!!! - ProTeacher Community

Rose_Renee

Painting Classroom...Help!!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I plan on painting my classroom this summer, and I am not sure what color to paint my cabinets. Does anyone know about color/mood research, and how different colors make people react?

I love bright vibrant colors, but I think I heard somewhere that bright colors irritate kids with A.D.D. Does anyone know if that is true?

I am thinking about painting the cabinets a tropical sea blue color called "Mermaid Treasure" from Behr. Right now the cabinets are a very bight crayon box blue. I think the blue color is depressing and I would like to lighten up the classroom.

Does anyone have any advice or insight?

Rose_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

JunieB.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

greens, blues, and neutrals are calming.
JunieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

My two cents
Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you should paint it whatever colors you love and make you happy. If it helps put you in a relaxed cheerful mood, your students will sense it, and they will be happy, too. Personally, I think tropical memrmaid blue sounds delightful. If I can make time before school starts, I am thinking of painting a mural on my reading corner wall.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Amazed
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am amazed you are allowed to paint your own room. We have so many restrictions about what we can do with our classroom, and painting it might get us fired. We try to brighten our classrooms up by using colorful butcher paper, and I've noticed that the brighter colors make the rooms seem more fun and interesting than the blues and greens. But that's just my opinion.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

kteach618

Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I, too, am painting my cabinets (all walls are brick.. boo!). I am painting them red and my bulletins are all bright colors and designs. If I can scrounge up enough pennies, I was going to do some cabinets yellow, some blue, and some red. I think that you should try the colors you want, and if you decide that you think the colors aren't working, change them next year.

kteach618 is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

Another thought
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I painted my cupboards a few years ago and after that experience I want to remind you to make sure you use the right kind of paing (oil or latex). I believe if you have oil based paint currently you can put a primer on and use latex (???). The only place we could find vibrant oil based paint was at an actual paint store so it was kind of expensive. If you are doing the labor your district might pay for the paint.
Have fun! I'm sure your mermaid blue will look great!
cdeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

My room was painted...
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

about 3 years ago - when I moved classrooms (not volunteerily), my principal decided to paint the new room - I met up with the painters as I packed and unpacked that summer - Interesting to find out that YOU CAN CHOOSE whatever color you want for your room - I teach with someone who has been in the district for 45 years and she never knew you could choose a color - For years, we've all been looking at different shades of white!!!!!

Anyway, I too, being an inclusion teacher and having children with ADD and Autism, wanted a soothing an calming color but at the same time, I wanted something more inviting that white

I decided on a blue - now the blue on the chip and the blue painted on my wall look entirely different which freaked me out at first because the paint on my walls were so bright - But after a while, it felt very right

And I do see a difference - my classes are calmer - I had a rowdy group this year - in turns out the place they were the calmest, was actually in our own room - I would get constant complaints from the Music teacher, PE teacher, lunch TAs - you name it - but the place where they were the calmest, was in our own room

Shark
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingfirst

Painting Classroom
Old 07-19-2007, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For the last few years, I have painted my classroom a very cheery, soft-lemonade-ish yellow. I loved the color and always received lot of compliments on my room. However, my classes have been so talkative and active that I can't help but to think that the color might contribute to that.

This year I have moved classrooms and decided to go with a soft, cheery green. What a difference it has made! I can't wait until the room is filled with children to see if they react differently. I have received lots of compliments on it (even from the principal who loves our "institutional gray" that goes through the school). This color makes a great neutral background for my tropical/beach theme. I love it!

I know research has been done about the color of classrooms. I would think that you could find in on the net. I didn't buy into that so much until I had the active, yellow classroom. I would think shades of blue and green would be a great choice! I might have to look into "Mermaid Treasure" for painting some accessories and shelves.
teachingfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Love2Learn2

Magnetic Paint
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If I could paint my room, I would definitely use magnetic paint. You can go to the website www.kling.com/magneticpaintindex.html for more information.

Then, you can add magnetic tape to your items and you can place all sorts of resources all around the room for your student to use. I am sure it comes in a variety of colors. Hope it helps!
Love2Learn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rose_Renee

Thank You!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you, for all of the great advice! I think I am going to go ahead and use the color of my choice. I have spent so much time this summer trying to put together my beach theme, and I think it will look really great! I am so excited for school to start, and I feel confident that this year will be a great year. I just discovered this website this summer, and I have gotten so much valuable information! I wish I knew about this site last year.

I think the key to a successful classroom is a nice environment, and making sure the kids have their rules and procedures down pat! My school is wonderful! Our principal is very supportive, and she wants what is best for the kids. She allows us to paint our classroom pretty much anyway we want it! We also had an artist come to our school one year, and hand paint murals of different story book characters on our classroom doors. I know that I am a visual learner, so I could not stand being in a classroom that has no color. I think the color I picked out will work.
Rose_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote