Meet the teacher day...help! - ProTeacher Community

Teacher7

Meet the teacher day...help!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a first year teacher this year. I am just wondering if you could give me some suggestions about the meet the teacher day. Is this just a meet and greet situation or do I need to have a presentation prepared for the parents and activities for the students? Please help!

Teacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

klc910

Meet the Teacher Night
Old 07-20-2007, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my school it is a meet and greet. The teacher stands by the door and greets parents and students. They come in and find their desk. On their desk is instructions of where to put school supplies (I have labels on the floor for community supplies and the rest slides into their desk and we put it where it goes on the first day.) I have a back table with sign up sheets for parent volunteers, parent teacher conference, how students go home and if they buy or bring their lunch. I also have a giving tree poster by the table. Also on their desks I have a parent information folder that they take home. Some of whats in it stays at home and other things are surveys and contact information that they bring back. Some families like to stay, walk around the room and visit, others are in and out, especially if they have more than one child.
klc910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex

Meet the Teacher Day
Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put together a PowerPoint presentation that covers all the rules, procedures, absences, about me, curriculum...really, everything that is included in my information sheets. I have it continually loopiing in the classroom.

In the past, a bunch of parents would come in at one time and have questions...now, they see the PowerPoint running and they generally sit and watch it until they see an answer to their question. It really simplified things.

I still have information sheets and so on and we still greet new parents...the PowerPoint just made things less hectic.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is what you are referring too an orientation where students and parents come to see who their teacher is for the first time?

I love how my school did it. All teachers had a table in the cafeteria and it was there that we greeted students and parents and handed out folders with beginning of the year paperwork that needed to be filled out. Students didn't go to the classrooms that day, and it was nice b/c usually classrooms weren't ready yet for student and parent visitors!

I'm going to be at a new school next year so I'm not sure how they'll do it.
sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex

Meet and Greet
Old 07-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Nikki,

Ours was a meet and greet night also. It wasn't meant to be an orientation evening (which is two weeks later) but nonetheless, parents want to know the same things...so instead of dealing with them twice on the same issues I just show the PowerPoint in a loop. It works really nice...as I'm talking to one set of parents others come in look at the PowePoint and eventually sit down to watch it. I have introductory packets at each seat and they watch the PowerPoint while looking at the packet. I find that most of their questions are answered in the PowerPoint. Parents tell me they like it as they know other parents want to talk to me and they can find out the information they want to know through the presentation.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

PREteacher

Meet and greet
Old 07-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At my school it's just a meet and greet.. they come and they go. Usually the kids just get familiar with the room. I do the Powerpoint presentation at Open House.
PREteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
melany

melany

fifth grade teacher
Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi everyone,

I'm also new to teaching. I'm very nervous, but yet very excited. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your powerpoint presentation?