POLL: For all of you RW users! - ProTeacher Community

JunieB.

POLL: For all of you RW users!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First of all, I'm so proud of all the collaborating that is happening here! It is truly amazing!

1. Are you the only one in your school using the RW format?
2. How many years have you been doing RW?
3. What is your favorite author study?
4. What are you trying that is new this year?

-------
My answers:

1. Are you the only one in your school using the RW format? Yep!
2. How many years have you been doing RW? I started it 4th quarter last year, so this is my first full year.
3. What is your favorite author study? I'm a big Munsch fan!
4. What are you trying that is new this year? Pretty much everything!! I'm especially excited about each student picking their own just right books!

luvreading

Love this too!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Doesnt it help to know that lots of people are like us... using RW and trying to figure it all out at the same time.

Answers:
1. No I'm not the only one using RW. In fact, it sounds like next year the push in my district will be for everyone to move to a workshop format and begin to get rid of those "wonderful" workbooks!!
2. I've been using RW for about 5 years, but am constantly changing what I do when I learn new info. I don't thik I've done the same exact thing 2 years in a row.
3. Favorite author... so hard to pick. I really just love books, doesn't matter who the author is as long as it touches me.
4. This year I'm trying to use some of the info from the Daily 5 book to let my students go a bit more. I have kinders, and used to teach 1st grade, so I'm a bit worried about letting them go completely. I also want to reorganize my library- bought 2 new shelves after the live chat the other night!!!

Thanks for the poll Junie B!!

dswan

interesting question!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm moving to a new school this year, since they've closed my old school (sob!). I don't think any of the other 5 first grade teachers use RW. I think there is 1 2nd grade teacher who does. (HOW do I change the text color here to show my answers more clearly?? I'm so computer illiterate!)

Hmmm.... about 3, but I started very gradually and I keep adding and tuning and adjusting each year.

I'm not sure I have one favorite--I like Kevin Henkes, William Steig, Arnold Lobel, and.. I'm brain dead... (Fish is Fish, Inch by Inch... what is his name!???)

I'm reading "Growing Readers" this summer for the first time, so I want to incorporate some of her ideas. (And the new edition of Mosaic of Thought is on the way--I never even read the first one, so I'm excited!) I was basically doing Debbie Miller before. I'm going to SLOW down at the beginning to make sure procedures and management issues are in place.

teacherdani21

Great survey!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Okay here goes...

1. I am the only one in my school doing RW...I know the 2nd grade teacher is looking into it, but she is a little hesitant.
2. Last year I tried it, but didn't know a lot about it. This year, I am going all out! So, yes, this will be my first FULL year of doing it.
3. Favorite author study....this is a tough question. Last year my kids really LOVED Robert Munsch. His books really motivated a lot of my kids to become better readers because they wanted so badly to read his books on their own. Dr. Seuss is another good one.
4. Ha...we just talked about this last night during the chat. I am trying a lot of new things this year. RW is one, I am also trying the BEE binders, my management system is going to change a bit (have lots of ideas), I am going to implement word work into my schedule everyday this year. Basically, my schedule is completely different from last year, which has caused me a lot of stress and planning, but I know that this is going to work!

JunieB.

totally unrelated but.....
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is so random, but didn't want to make another thread!

If you are looking for cheap lamps, K-Mart has some on sale for $6!!

2nd grade rocks

Poll
Old 07-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Pretty much, yes!
This will be m first.
I love Tomie DePaola
Everything!

luckyteacher

My answers...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

1. Nope. All teachers in all grade levels use it except pre-k. We're only an early childhood school though (pre-k -1). What's good is that there are 12 classes on each grade level so there are a lot of people to share ideas with.

2. This will be my third year.

3. I don't know if I have a favorite author but Kevin Henkes is one of my faves.

4. A LOT! The biggest is closely aligning RW and WW.

Tekla

really trying hard!
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Actually our principal wants us to try it, it's relly new to us but I'll try it if it's just that I don't know when to start and how to start because I'm still looking for ideas, as of now I'm reading something about RW and not yet done and it's our 1st quarterly exam and a lot of things really happening that's why I'm kind of overwhelmed . Anyway always reading and checking the sunflower room maybe I can get ideas and to all those who answered and gave ideas I thank you. B4 I 4get I'm from the Philippines an I think our set up is kind of traditional that's why I'm having a hard time.

Tekla

cathybev

First Year
Old 07-21-2007, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will be the only one doing RW in first grade. There is a K teacher who is thinking about it also, so hopefully she will do it.

This will be my first year doing RW.

Favorite authors? I would have to go with Munsch and Henkes, but there are so many.

Just about everything will be new this year. I'm excited to start mini lessons and conferences. Pretty much excited about all of it!

jdrob413

first year teacher
Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

1. Are you the only one in your school using the RW format? As far as I know!
2. How many years have you been doing RW? first year but that would make sense because its my first year teaching too!
3. What is your favorite author study? haven't done one officially but I love Henkes, Mem Fox, and Jan Bret
4. What are you trying that is new this year? everything will be new!

BookMuncher

good idea, JunieB
Old 07-21-2007, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

no- 3 years ago my friend and I started trying to integrate RW with the basal (2nd gr). Then the year after that, I started doing it more fully in first and dragged some first grade teachers into it. Last year, the same core people were still doing it, but we got a K-2 book study going and a lot more people became very interested. It's just hard getting them to take the plunge!

This will be my fourth-- every year it's gotten more solid (as in, purging the unneccessary)

i'm glad you didn't ask about my favorite author, b/c I couldn't choose. My favorite author study, though, is Todd Parr because my kids every year just absolutely love it. They want to eat up his books and they love to imitate his art.

Since I'm looping, I'm really experimentiing with my year-long schedule. This will be my first year of fully tying RW and WW together AND of creating a year-long schedule for a group of kids who have all been introduced to a year of Collins and Miller.

LAMPS FOR $6????!!!! Where are my car keys?

1stgradenew

Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, I am the only one using RW at my school. I am trying to pull the new 1st grade teacher in with me...but I'm not sure how successful I will be...fingers crossed

I started last year around October, so I guess it's my second year!

I will be honest I didn't do any author studies last year--but this year I am doing one each month and just bought a cool book display for them!

I feel like everything is still new. I will be doing author studies this year, I will be leveling some of my library, I will work on making my library exciting and changing!!

I just spent a ton of money on lamps at Target yesterday, I think I will be returning those! Thanks for the tip

BookMuncher

a note about #1
Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

1. For people who are looking to convince some colleagues who are a little more stuck in their ways than others, I discovered this year that On Solid Ground is a really good book to recommend. As some of you may have noticed, I don't love the book myself- I think it's too rigid. BUT- guess what? For people who have "been around the block" and seen things come and go, Sharon Taberski's book speaks to them. Because of her rigid structure, need for accountability, and kind of appeal for basic reading instruction, many teachers who I couldn't have otherwise pictured devouring Reading with Meaning or Growing Readers really responded to On Solid Ground. We had actually done a book study on Reading with Meaning the year before, and while most of the same people participated, the enthusiastic response came mostly from the the younger teachers or those who were already doing reader's worksohp.

PS: I read OSG with the book study and I succeeded in holding my tongue during (almost) every meeting. Me and the friends who were using reader's workshop tried to further the other people's understandings of things that mostly had to do with management issues. Because we didn't slam anything in Taberski's book, I think it gave it more credibility.

KC2

Old 07-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I will be the only one this year, and I am trying to win over the
other two teachers on my grade level.

This is my first!!

I have never done a true author study, but I used Calkins' UofS for
the first time last year. We really looked into Cynthia Rylant and
Angela Johnson.

RW is totally new for me. I will be trying to use the basal (I have to)
and RW this year. I am also trying to mesh RW with WW, which is
much easier thanks to all the help I have gotten from here!

minmam

Old 07-21-2007, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

No-We're a k-6 school and this year every grade is asked to us RW format. Although most grade levels would say they use it, it seems some teachers are closer to the model presented by Miller and Collins.
This will be my 4th year.
I teach 1st grade. My students love Robert Munsch books but I've never done an author study with him. Eric Carle and Rosemary Wells have been fun as have Henkes.
This is a great question. There's always so much I want to change/improve but I'm reminded of advice I was given a few years ago. "Choose 1 thing to focus on and do it well". With that in mind, I'd like to improve vocabulary and word study. It seems I just don't focus on it explicitly enough for my English Language learners ( At least 10)

cmo

Old 07-21-2007, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Here are my answers

1. Yes I am the only one. I keep trying to pull others into this, but most are at the stage of 1st graders cannot read quietly for 30 min. Little do they know(they also marvel at my class when they walk in during RW). They also think I am crazy for having every book out in my room avaliable for students to read. That was my new thing this year and it went great after the minilessons on book selection.

2. Last year was my first full year, I attended a Debbie Miller workshop the spring of 06 and came back and implemented the format and mini lessons on schema right away and it worked!!! This is saying something because that was the only time my whole class was focused doing something purposeful and quietly the whole day( I had the class that hated each other and everyone else).

3. My favorite author studies are: Norman Bridwell(students really connect) and Paulette Bougios(spelling is poor unless I have the book in front of me, sorry Paulette)

4. I want to go deeper with lessons on inferring and importance of non fiction. I am also considering dropping Learning Stations and lengthining RW discussion(which I felt we ran out of time). We are required to do Guided reading, so I pull groups during RW independant time. Anybody elso do this?

Cool about Kmart but we have none in the Dallas, Tx area. I am sad I love Kmart but Target is just as great.

bookfanatic

Joining in
Old 07-21-2007, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am new here and have learned so much from reading all of your post. I hope you don't mind if I just jump on in.

Yes.

2. How many years have you been doing RW? I started with some basics last year and plan on doing so much more this year. So technically my second.

3. What is your favorite author study? Wow, it is so hard to pick. Probably Robert Munsch.

4. What are you trying new this year? A lot!!

cmorgan

Survey
Old 07-22-2007, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Here are my anwers too!

1. Yep, I'm the only one.

2. This will be my first year. From reading all the info on ProTeacher, it has gotten me excited to try something new!

3. I like Kevin Henkes. My kids love the Black Lagoon books (I can't remember the author) and Gail Gibbons.

4. RW is new for me this year. I'm also theming my classroom this year. I've had a ton of furn making my room into the ocean!!

I've enjoyed reading the surveys- lots of great information!

JunieB.

cmorgan ---
Old 07-22-2007, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Post pics -- we all want to see your classroom!

Mel's1st

Survey
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am the only one doing RW. I have a very test-focused principal and I don't think she'd like having too many of her teachers stray from the curriculum, even though Reader's Worksop is so authentic.

This will be my first year as I was given permision to keep all my kids and do it during a Reading Tutorial block.

I guess I will be able to answer that one in a few years. I've never really focused on one author, maybe expcept Henkes in the beginning of the year b/c there are so many character lessons in his books.

EVERYTHING - but I do realize that I can't do everything the first year. This post helps to know that even the seasoned RW teacher still has room to grow.

iluv3rd

Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Are you the only one in your school using the RW format?

Not sure... new school.

How many years have you been doing RW?

This will be my 7th year.

What is your favorite author study?

It's hard to pick... I love Kevin Henkes... my students love Tomie DePaola. I also like Eve Bunting, Cynthia Rylant, Mem Fox, and so many more...

What are you trying that is new this year?

Daily 5 to improve engagement and stamina of my independent reading time, more strategy groups than guided reading, getting conferences in EVERYDAY!

Random

Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Yes and no. We had a book club last year and read Reading With Meaning. Most teachers incorporated many of the ideas, but we also have mandated guided reading. I'm still experimenting with formats to see how to mesh the two approaches into an effective reading block. While many teachers are planning on using a centre rotation, there are several other teachers who are interested in exploring reading workshop with me.

This is my third year, although I have yet to do a "true" reading workshop that puts emphasis on strategy groups. I still meet with leveled reading groups.

Lots of stuff!

I'm using ideas from the Daily Five to build stamina (although I don't plan on using the D5 to organise my literacy block).

I want to model reading responses more deeply and thoughtfully before asking my children to start writing in their book journals.

I want to use much more non-fiction in my classroom, for both shared reading and interactive read alouds.

I want to have reading celebrations. We didn't have any last year and I regret that.

On other fronts:

While I really enjoy writing workshop, I'm leaning toward using prompted writing more often. The fact is that I write every single day, but that the vast majority of my writing is, in some way, prompted. I'm not talking about dumb topics like "If I were a pencil...", but about authentic, real-life writing. I'm still thinking about this and how it will fit into my classroom. We will still have writing workshop every day, and children will still self-select their topics, but I want the "why" (ie the prompt) to be much clearer.

I'm transitioning to a workshop approach in math, as well. That will be a whole new adventure!

clkelley

from ca
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

1.My teamate and I in grade 2 have been dabbling, but we haven't had training outside of our reading.This year our distracis sending two first grade teacher to rw training so I'm sure they'll try it.

2. This will be my third year but I have had to ease into it because we also have to do HM.

3 My favorite author studies are Patricia Polacco and Mem Fox.

4I'm looking to do some revision of the response piece--more natural response less formatted.

bleau

Good Idea Gena! This is FUN!!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

1. Yes, I am the only one doing RW in my school.
2. This will be my first year...I'm totally new at this.
3. Hate to addict this, but I haven't really done many. I like Tomie DaPaola and Eric Carle.
4. Some new things I'm trying this year....hmmmmm....well, I signed up to be an 'Observation Classroom Teacher'. I'm also trying a math workshop approach so that I can better differentiate my math program using Harcourt. And of course, implementing RW is totally new for me! I'm excited about all of this!

shorty

Old 07-29-2007, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

When I started yes. But now we just finished a book study with Debbie Miller and slowly trying to have everyone implement in classroom.

2. How many years have you been doing RW? 2 1/2 years

3. What is your favorite author study? This will be my first year to try

4. What are you trying that is new this year? Author Study

Could someone please tell people how to get colored font?!?