sports theme question - ProTeacher Community

patriots07

sports theme question
Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i am thinking about having a sports theme in my classroom but am a little concerned about the girl students not enjoying it. any ideas?

patriots07 is offline   Reply With Quote

TFarley

TFarley

Old 07-21-2007, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just include girl sports like softball, cheerleading, gymnastic, etc...most girls now days enjoy sports as much as boys
newyorker

newyorker

teacher
Old 07-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to beth newingham's website! Look under "teacher resources". She has awesome ideas. I used the theme this year and my girls loved it as much as the boys!

zeta apple

Newyorker
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would you mind sharing some of your ideas that you used for the sports theme in your classroom?
zeta apple is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Teaching Resources
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teaching Resources has a "Sports Kids! Bulletin Board" set (NTS965453). It shows both boys and girls doing a variety of sports.

I don't know about your classroom, but in mine, the girls are involved in as many out-of-school and after-school sports as my boys (soccer, flag football, basketball, volleyball, and Little League). I think your girls will enjoy this theme.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

timpea2

I do a sports theme.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have done a sports theme for the past two years and I'm going to do it again this year. I have not had any difficulty bringing in the girls. There are several things that have cheerleaders on it. I bought almost everything that Teacher Created Materials puts out that is sports related. Carson Dellosa also has lots of sports items as well. The first year I did this theme I ordered on line from the companies directly. Here are several of my ideas that I use for my classroom. Most of the ideas are from others that I got from this site.

Behavior=All Star Behavior
4 cheerleaders holding up stars= on the stars I wrote T E A M
T together E everyone A achieves M more

helper chart=MVP's
identified our classroom meeting area as = the locker room

I also have our NFL team schedule on my calendar board and each Monday we discuss the states and what direction our team or visiting team had to travel for the game. (Covers states and capitals/cities and directions.) We also talk about the points scored, how won and by how much. (Great introduction into borrowing or regrouping.) It only takes about one or two weeks before EVERY student comes in on Monday and wants to be the one to discuss football and inform the class on the score of the game.

I'm sure I do more, but it's getting late and my brain is shutting down. . .
timpea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Karen R.

Karen R.

support services for school system
Old 07-23-2007, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher & last year she used the sports theme. It was awesome & exciting for her students as well as herself. She incorporated it into everything. She wrote letters to different pro teams and our local state colleges (community & universities) and told them what she was doing. Then she & her class made a chart & everytime a team responded they charted it. Sometimes it was a letter, sometimes pencils, keychains, penants, sports cards, posters, etc. The students looked forward to "getting mail". .There were lots of surprises. The administration even came to check when they knew there was mail. This also opened discussions about striving to go to college, doing your best, start studying now..you never know.., she had local athletes come in from High Schools & local colleges. She had Local athletes read to her students and giving them "pep talks". Recess became organized & fun. The P.E. teacher got in on it! The students did research themselves at home and in class. They loved homework! Read biographies , etc....The groups in her classes voted & adopted their "team mascots" & used that for there areas. Math easily adapted as well...racing, baseball stats, footballs stats, etc. There is alot you can do with sports. It teaches "team work" and discipline. It'll go over big. There are sports for all seasons. Hope you got an idea or 2.

sc2ndgrade

Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Cute ideas! The sports/teamwork theme is a school wide theme for us as well. I am stuck on what to put outside my wall for their work. I have had "Homerun Hitters" and another teacher is using "All-Star Work", but these are grabbing me. Any suggestions. I have made each student a pennant with their name on it, and I will use it somewhere, but couldn't think of anything the pennants would go with for their work. If you had any more wonderful ideas, I would really appreciate it!!
Thanks
sc2ndgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
ktann5

ktann5

Sports Theme
Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach 1st grade and did a sports theme last year. What a hit!! I made sure to include gymnastics, cheerleading and dance. However I feel that the most imporant part of the sports theme is just focusing on teamwork, practice (classwork and homework) makes perfect (assessment), determination, etc...

I have never had a class work so well together and I think the theme had a lot to do with it.

A few cute ideas: Hang hula hoops and use them to display student work, hit up the local college or HS to get donated Jerseys. I hng them and the kids loved them! Also, I had a "locker"/cabinet filled with treats of different point values. For every day of super behavior they were awarded with a game ticket. On Fridays they could trade in tickets for their prizes should they choose to. Some were worth 50 tickets so they also learned about patience and the art of saving!!

Good luck!!!

jbmom

sports theme
Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was wondering if you change your themes each year or just build on the present theme. I have never done a theme...how do you start? I don't want to spend too much money, but I like it. HELP!!! I think the sports - baseball theme is neat.
jbmom is offline   Reply With Quote