Help

Inspirations

Who Inspired YOU to be a Teacher?

>

linds10488

Who Inspired YOU to be a Teacher?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in my final year of studying to become a teacher. Like all other teachers, one teacher in particular inspired me to become a teacher. For me, that is my Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Pellegrini. I completed 2 years of Kindergarten under suggestion from Mrs. Pellegrini. I was younger than all of the other students, I never paid attention, and I thought it was "play time" instead of "carpet time" 99% of the time. Well, my second year of Kindergarten, Mrs. Pellegrini made it a habit to pull my aside to help me read so I can be on a track with my peers who moved onto 1st grade. The first book she taught me to read was Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss. I just remember getting the feeling of accomplishment and thankfulness towards Mrs. Pellegrini. She made me feel special and that was something I wanted to be able to do when "I grow up." Ever since then, I played school every chance I got.

Who inspired you to become a teacher?

linds10488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

inspiration
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It was my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Craigin. She had us to these neat research projects all the time. We did a stimulation called The Oregon Trail. We used real newspapers to study non-fiction texts. She was definitely progressive before everyone else was progressive. I was a fifth grader in 1978-1979, so it was before many progressive ideas were out there or before teachers were willing to give it a chance.

I went home and turned my playhouse my grandfather made me into a schoolhouse after having her.
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
mlroyer

mlroyer

Who inspired me
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For me, it was my 2nd grade teacher, Miss Veerman. I kept in touch with her until she passed away. As I got older, I realized she got into teaching later after taking care of family responsibilities and was always grateful to be a teacher.

She did something for each and every student -- but when you are the student in 2nd grade - you think you are the ONLY one she does this for.

Ms. Veerman got my parent's permission to take me out to eat after school (to a McDonald's type restaurant). She let me order and carry the food. Of course, I dropped a shake. She just laughed and said that was no problem -- and she took the split one and gave me the full one--(and of course cleaned up my mess).

She then took me to the Christian book store by the restaurant and let me pick out a trinket for myself. I still have the little cross necklace she bought for me.

Things are different in public school now -- but there are still those teachers who go the extra mile - make a kid feel special -- and learn that it is okay to make mistakes.

historyguy88

Old 01-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine was maybe a little late, but he really did inspire me to let me know that teaching was exactly what I wanted to do.

My 6th grade social studies teacher, Mr. Kuster. He would put us in pods of 4 for various group projects. I didn't get to be a group project leader throughout the whole year. Finally, it got to be one of our last projects of the year. He put me in charge of our group for basically the final "big" project of the year.

After the class, he pulled me aside and he told me, "I'm sorry I didn't make you a project leader earlier in the year. I could just see the spark in your eyes during the class, and I really thought you could handle a big responsibility like this"

I never forgot the way he encouraged me like that. Unfortunately, he retired before I graduated high school and I couldn't tell him that I was going to go to college to be a social studies teacher as well. But, thank you Mr. K
historyguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveLife54

Old 01-17-2015, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 2nd grade teacher was my least favorite. She scared me almost every day. She had asthma and coughed terribly. One day at the lunch table everyone was passing the salt shaker and saying, "Smell it." Well, when I did, Mrs. L was right behind me, which I didn't know. She walloped me across the hind side and scared me half to death. I remember big tears sitting inside my eyelids! I also remember crying just about every morning before school. I made up my mind at 7 years old that I wanted to be a teacher and NOT like her!

LoveLife54 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The children I was working with when I was doing a volunteer position through AmeriCorps*VISTA. If you had asked me beforehand if I wanted to teach I would have said "no way!"
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 01-18-2015, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It was really several teachers for me.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Mr. Gardiner - 11th grade Math and then Calculus senior year. He was the one who really gave me the confidence to get out of my shell and join things. From him, I learned how much difference one teacher can make.

I also credit Mrs. Ridley (English the same two years) for a lot of my teaching style. She was great at integrating subjects - maps in her room, so we'd really understand the settings of what we were reading...things like that. I try to do the same in my own teaching.

And last but not least, there was Mrs. Williams, my school librarian from 4th to 6th grade. She taught me how to read to kids in a way that really reaches them, and it infuses my teaching today.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Inspired
Old 06-04-2015, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm one of the few teachers, I guess, who didn't have any teachers who inspired me to be a teacher. In fact, I didn't like school. I didn't like how the same group of kids always got to be on the sports teams and automatically got good grades because they were "popular". I felt sorry for the kids that got picked on. I felt bored by the teachers who taught the same thing every year after year. I had brothers and sisters so the same projects were assigned and brought home. There was only one school of each- elementary, middle and high school. It was small town so there weren't many teachers. Some were nicer than others, but none really wanted to help me when I didn't understand something. When I decided to go to college, I didn't know what to major in. So I thought about it for a long time. I thought about what I was good at. I talked to God to help me decide. I had helped stick up for kids who were picked on and I had helped others understand things I knew. I had helped some friend's siblings who were disabled with their work. I had learned some sign language to talk to another friend's sister. God inspired me. He told me the world needed good hearted teachers who cared about others, who were patient and fair. So I became a teacher because I didn't want other kids to hate school like me.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Teachers
Old 06-04-2015, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am like the PP, I didn't enjoy school much and thought I would never become a teacher, until my own kids were in school. My son had the best third grade teacher ever. She made each kid feel smart and special. My son was actually bored in second grade and I was considering pulling him out for gifted. When he got to third grade all that changed. His teacher taught inclusion and paired him with a special ed kid and he LOVED it. He felt helpful and took his learning to a new level by instructing his friend. She took the time to get each kid and give them what they needed. She's the reason I teach third grade today!
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote