Go math and beginning of the year Kindergarten concepts - ProTeacher Community

tati09

Go math and beginning of the year Kindergarten concepts
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, anyone else not like the Go Math Kindergarten book, I don't see any chapters on money, fractions, counting by 2s, 5s, 10s, when do you teach these concepts. .right now we're focusing on patterns, greater than less than, number words , writing numbers 1-20, counting to 40 on the hundred chart by ones, but we do some videos on counting to 100 because they love counting to 100. were on chapter 3 in Go Math..we reviewed positional words in S.S...We do centers but I've noticed some playing in centers..some need help in centers , and finding myself going crazy trying to watch all of them in different centers ..assisting and making sure they are on task..However I give warnings for off task behavior and most of the time I put them in red or yellow ..Im a new private school first year Kindergarten teacher..I am rthe only kinder teacher and offered no support , no guidance..figuring things on my own, researching ideas, sometimes it's overwhelming and I hope im doing the right thing..scared of parents finding out that I don't know everything and don't have all the answers..I did my internship in Kinder but started in January , learned a lot but could have learned more if it were longer, and my ct is very rude and did not answer My emails or texts, she ignored my request for a recommendation letter..Im happy with my position and I have 11 kids which is enough for me..just wish the school knew more about the curriculum..I dnt get observed. .which is good in a way lol I give my best everyday and have only been out onc since the first day..I feel like the job is consuming and here I am Saturday thinking about my kids and I just want to give them my best because I want them to learn and grow and I love these kids soo much . I just feel likee lately I've been so busy that I've been neglecting my family, bf but im just trying to figure everything out, luckily we use the same books as public school and I have many resources, pintrest is my best friend lol Any advice for me, thanks

tati09 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbeagley

Take a deep breathe!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is easy to get overwhelmed so take a step back and breathe. GoMath for K does seem to ave some gaps. I incorporated a 100's chart into my calendar time, and very slowly introduced skip counting that way. You could start a count down o an event--a 3-day weekend or a holiday, and count by 1's at first then by two's, etc.

For your centers make sure you ave procedures down pat before you turn them loose and be consistent about enforcing our rules.

Last, keep a journal so that you can tweak things next year.

Enjoy your class--and trust yourself!
mrsbeagley is offline   Reply With Quote
ImAnonTeacher

ImAnonTeacher

Hate go math
Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Go Math curriculum gets worst as the kids progress through the grades. In fact I despise EVERY curriculum houghton mifflin harcourt has ever thrown at us. It is like the creators do not understand what kids like and how they learn in general, and when they are giving instruction to the teachers it is sometimes just absurdly unhelpful.