Teacher Halloween Costume Ideas? - ProTeacher Community

Teech

Teech

Teacher Halloween Costume Ideas?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year in a school where Halloween is a VERRRRRY big deal. All the teachers dress up, as well as the principal, custodians...I mean everyone. There is a huge parade and parties and parents everywhere all day long. I would love get into the spirit of things with a terrific bang!! I am a first grade teacher. Does anyone have any really creative ideas for a costume that is creative and fun?

Teech

VTteacher

VTteacher

Here is an idea....
Old 10-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school (which is small.. only 10 teachers) perform a skit each Halloween. Each year we choose a folk tail/fairy tale.. some sort of story that all of the children will know. Last year we did The Little Ren Hen, this year we are doing The Three Little Pigs. The story is kept secret from the children.. so the day of the Halloween celebration the children race around to see our costumes to try and figure out what the story is. It's a lot of fun! (even for me.. and I do not like Halloween at all!)

Another good costume idea is a spider.. you can fill black panty hose with stuffing and sew or safety pin them on black pants and a black shirt. Spray paint foam balls black and put them on pipe cleaners and a black head band.

You could paint a turtle shell on card board..

Or be a clown.. hit the local goodwill.. everyone loves a clown!

GOOD LUCK!
sarah

sarah

halloween costume
Old 10-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always wanted to dress up as Viola Swamp from Miss Nelson is Missing...unfortunately, my school doesn't allow dressing up ...
anniecat

anniecat

costume
Old 10-08-2005, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A black cat is easy- at Targe and Joanns they sell a little kit with tail and ears. I have also done a witch and a angel and a butterfly. One teacher wore one of those inflatable sumo-wrestler costumes which the kids loved! Could you take something from a story you have read or a theme unit, like maybe a particular animal? The kids will love it no matter what you wear, they will be so excited.
njteach

njteach

Cat in the Hat
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year I was the Cat in the Hat. It only cost $25 and the kids loved it. Of course, they choose their favorite Dr. Seuss book for me to read that morning before the Halloween parade. The prinicipal of my school was Cat Woman which everyone loved. If you don't mind paying $50-$60, one of the teachers was the Teapot from Beauty and the Beast. It was a fabulous costume.

Mrs. R

Costume Ideas
Old 10-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Halloween is a big deal at my school, too. We usually try to do something as a first grade team. When there were two of us we were Thing 1 and Thing 2 (red sweatsuits, blue wigs, gloves, signs, and a box to pop out of) from The Cat in the Hat, the cat and the fiddle and the cow jumping over the moon(cat ears, black clothing, borrowed violin, and a pantyhose tail;my partner teacher had the cow costume already) from Hey Diddle Diddle, and green eggs and ham (obviously from Green Eggs and Ham). Last we we added a first grade teacher and we each dressed up as a Kevin Henkes character since that was our author study at the time. We were Chrysanthmum (mouse ears, dress with lots of pockets,and name tag with name written in two rows) Lilly (mouse ears, jumper, red cowboy boots, movie star sunglasses, and purple purse), and Wemberly (mouse ears,painted eye spot, stripes, Petal the bunny, and a thought bubble sign listing lots of worries). We're still working on this year's idea-maybe the Three Blind Mice.
Mrs. R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sarah

Sarah

Old 10-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A bag of Jelly Beans. Get a clear garbage bag, poke holes for arms and legs. Fill with small multi colored balloons. Tie bag closed around your neck with a colorful scarf. Wear a solid color outift underneath!
marie

marie

costume idea
Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

the students in my class suggested (demanded) that i dress as Miss Frizzle (Magic School Bus) for halloween. they really loved the idea of that - basic costume, but they could readily recognize it.

love2teach1st

love2teach1st
Old 10-17-2005, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A few years ago I was the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. I bought a grandma nightgown, a grey wig, and glasses. I velcroed the animals on my nightgown. The first graders really liked it! This year I'm going to be a scarecrow-easy! Overalls and a plaid shirt. I bought a hat from the Halloween store. What about Junie B. Jones? We're lucky we get to dress up Have fun!!!!
love2teach1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Amanda

Amanda

Green Eggs & Ham
Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How did you make your ham costume? We are dressing our family as Cat in the Hat, Thing 1 & 2, Sam I am, green eggs, and green ham. However, I am having a very hard time trying to figure out how to make the ham costume. Please help.

silverspoon

a few fun ideas
Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

One year my sisters and I were all Barbies, so I wore the costume to school and it was a big hit. We all had blonde wigs. I was "Sporty Barbie" and had a purple polo, khakis, sneakers, and a pink visor. One sister was "Rocker barbie" and she had a microphone, denim skirt, etc., and one was Ballerina Barbie and she wore a tutu with her wig.

Some other ideas - a Tornado - get an old grey sweatshirt and sweatpants. Hot glue white polyfill around it, like the wind from a tornado. Then, the best part - attach little toys from the dollar store - Farm animals, toy cars, etc. I even used a toy helicopter. probably my best costume yet.

A "Cereal" Killer - Probably better for slightly older kids, first graders probably won't get it. Attach mini boxes of cereal to you with plastic knives sticking out.

A window - Take a small curtain rod and put some old, short, curtains on it. If you drape the curtains over your shoulders, the rod will balance on the back of your neck, shoulders, but you could pin the curtains to the front of you. on a piece of posterboard draw an outdoor scene and add the window panes across it. Use yarn to put this around your neck under the curtain. Voila, a window.
silverspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
HM

HM

Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I taught second grade, I dressed up as Junie B. Jones (colorful tights, skirt, sweater and an oversized bow in messy hair) and later as "spaghetti and meatballs" (a red sweatsuit with pieces of an old mop and brow pom-poms safety pinned onto it, I also carried a strainer and spaghetti spoon with more mop pieces tied to it). The kids really liked the spaghetti costume. This year I was thinking of wearing a raincoat and boots and carrying an umbrella with stuffed animals pinned to it...."It's raining cats and dogs"!
Christa h

Christa h

green eggs and ham costume
Old 10-04-2006, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

did you figure out how the make the green eggs and ham costume??

choosejoy

class costume
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Last year I taped a few Smarties candies on each students pants and we were "smarty pants."
choosejoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R

Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm no help with the green eggs and ham. My teaching partner knew how to sew so she put it together with fabric and wire.
Mrs. R is offline   Reply With Quote
Loli

Loli

Speed bump
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Last year I wore a yellow sweat suit with tire tracks painted across it and went as a speed bump.
lb713

lb713

Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My school is very in to dressing up. I've been a Christmas tree, a hippie, a biker chick, and Daphne from Scooby Doo. This year I'm going to be Viola Swamp; I can't wait!
lb713

lb713

reply to Sarah
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I dressed up like Viola Swamp last year and it was so much fun! I had black and white striped tights, a black skirt, black shirt, and I painted my hair black. My face was white with red cheeks and green eyeshadow on my eyes. At the end of each class period, I read the story Miss Nelson is Missing. Oh, and I teach high school! The kids loved it! I loved it too because I could be "mean" because of my costume! I'm sorry that your school doesn't allow dressing up. You could still dress up to pass out candy!
A0330

A0330

green eggs and ham
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Did Amanda or Christa ever figure out how to make the ham part of the costume? Or does anybody else have any idea?
Mrs_Teacher
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM
This message has been deleted by Mrs_Teacher.
Mr.K

Mr.K

Mister Mister
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

being a male working in a pre-school, i plan on dressing up as a farmer so the children understand who i am. seems pretty easy.
T4theluv

T4theluv

Haloween Ideas
Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Last year all of the teachers at my school dressed up as nerds. THe kids thought it was the best thing ever. Our principal got a kick out of it too. The year before that I had a witch hat and dressed up in scrubs as The Witch Doctor. We were also babies one year.
Bill

Bill

First grade teacher
Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I did Green Eggs and Ham two years ago! Take foam balls, cut in half, paint green, and glue to white sweat shirt. Wear a pink curly wig with a pig nose. It was a hit!

Mizzou fan

Beauty Pagent Winners
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

One year the four in our department went as beauty pagent contestants for our area of study. Teaching Social Studies, I was Misplaced, the English teacher was Misspelled, the Math teacher was Miscounted and the male in our group taught Science. He was Mr. E (mystery) We made sashes and dressed up. Mr E wore a trench coat and hat )
Mizzou fan is offline   Reply With Quote