Help

Classroom Management

Do you use love and logic? - questions

>

momteach310

Do you use love and logic? - questions
Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi - does anyone use this in their classroom? I read the book and think I'd like to try it, but I have some questions. What do you do when the child continues to disrupt after you've given them the choice of the quiet area? Do you remove them from the class? What do you do when someone backtalks a 'one liner?' I had a particulary tough behavior class last year and felt like nothing I tried worked. It was always a battle and nothing mattered to one particular child. I just can't visualize this working on the toughest of tough. - Can it? I'd really like to change my ways and come home non-stressed!
Thanks in advance.
K

momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-22-2007, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use Love and Logic in my room and with other kids in my life. I really like it. I'm half asleep right now so I don't know if I'm functional enough to answer your questions ... but I'd suggest reading more than 1 of the books, and reading all the articles on the love and logic website. There are a ton of tips, FAQ's, and suggestions there. It does work quite well on my "toughest" kids-- of course, the toughest kids I come in contact with on a daily basis are only up to about 8 or 9 years old. So I don't have any personal experience with high schoolers. But in the books, Jim does talk often about its success with even tough high schoolers.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

toughest of the tough
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't forget "noticing" for those tought kids. Another teacher in my school uses that to great effect. After a couple of weeks of "noticing," they're totally on his side and he can get them to do things other teachers can't.
Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Old 07-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I bought Love and Logic after I observed my 16 year old son's high school counselor use it on my dear son! Wow was it effective! After reading through the book I realized my dear best friend uses the strategies on her own children, now age 6-7. She was an ED (emotional disabled) teacher so REALLY knows about follow through on consequences, but her children are absolutely the most well behaved children I've ever experienced.

I did plan to use the strategies last year, but my class was so easy I was never prompted to pull it in. From what I hear, I think I may be reading and working with Love and Logic THIS YEAR.

Your question about disruption from the quiet area - I don't know from personal experience with Love and Logic, but we do have students "refocus" in another classroom. Even students who knew me well from previous years were pretty quiet when they had to come to my room for that time.

Hope this year isn't quite so tough!
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Love and Logic
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
What do you do when someone backtalks a 'one liner?'
Keep giving them the one liner.

I love using Love and Logic with my classroom and my own children.

*one student was to "sick" to participate in our writing lesson. When the class lined up to go to pe I mustered all the sympathy I could and said "Oh x, I really dont think you should go to gym today. You are sick and you know how hot it gets in the gym. Coach x would be very upset if you got sick in his class. I think you should lay your head down while the class is at PE."
needless to say he felt much better the rest of the day.

*my own daughter is a grouch when she wakes up. We always leave on vacation at 3:30 in the morning. Well we stopped for breakfast and she was complaining about waking up and combing her hair. I said in a sickly sweet voice "Dad is willing to buy breakfast for anyone in line with him, anyone else can take their time, but they will need to buy their own breakfast."

needless to say she was in line with the rest of us

javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

nuhusker98

Cute Love and Logic Story
Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school is very big into Love and Logic. Charles Faye has come and spoken several times, and just about every summer, our principal has a group of teachers go to Colorado to their summer conference. I love this program! I use it in my classroom, and just the calmness of the techniques helps me diffuse situations.

I also use it at home with my now 4 year old son. My one liner of choice is usually, "I'm sorry you feel that way." My DS has picked up on it...In the car on the way to the grocery store, he was being excessively loud. My DH had asked him to be quiet, but unfortunately the request was falling on deaf ears. Finally, my DH says, "you are being way to loud for this car," to which my son quickly, but empathetically replied, "Oh Daddy, I'm sorry you feel that way." I couldn't keep a straight face. I had to turn and look out the window, to avoid the death ray stare from the DH. They do pick it up quickly!
nuhusker98 is offline   Reply With Quote

lov2teach2

how does love and logic compare with....
Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

discipline without stress, punishment, or rewards? I hear they are pretty similar. I am going to do DWSPR, but I have read about love and logic and like it too. Has anyone used both? How do they compare. Which one would you use or can you combine them?
lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Diane Hill

Diane Hill

2nd grade team leader/MRT
Old 02-09-2008, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't know what i would do w/o love & logic....i feel that if you use it the way it is intended (no sarcasm, but empathy) it will make a HUGE difference in your life--You can remain calm, which enables you to keep the upperhand. My second graders respond positively in EVERY situation (though the difficult ones just require more time). You must be consistent!

* A student tied his shoelaces together during sharing time by my rocking chair. My response was, "I understand that you thought it was a funny thing to do. Let's keep them that way all day!" Later, when it was time to go to lunch/recess, he wanted to untie them, to which my reply was, "But won't it be funny all day?" and he said, "But I can't walk fast enough", and I said, "Wow...that's a bummer that we'll all get to the cafeteria faster. I hope that we see you soon." (Again, w/o sarcasm, but empathy!) The icing on the cake was when we went to recess directly after lunch--"Oh, _____, I can't let you play today b/c that wouldn't be safe, and your safety is my #1 priority." The look on his face was priceless! And luckily, this happened the first week of school, so did anyone else do this all year long? Absolutely not! Jim Faye is totally right when he says to pray for these learning opportunities! )

kbunch147

love and logic
Old 09-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great questions--I'm nervous on how to start it all since I'm such a control freak!
kbunch147 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbunch147

dws
Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Is discipline without stress similar to love and logic? Is it easy yet fun? I have so much to learn...

kbunch147 is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 09-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Discipline without Stress and Love and Logic can definitely work hand-in-hand. DWS teaches them to monitor their interactions with others and pay attention to how their actions impact others, and it also teaches them the difference between explicit (level C) and implicit (level D) rewards for behavior. L&L lets natural consequences impact their lives so they can learn to weigh those consequences when making a choice. Both of them teach the teacher how to engage in a way that actually changes the behavior rather than giving rewards/consequences over and over and over. I would probably start with one or the other, but both are definitely beneficial!
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote