Help

ARCHIVE

Theme HELP!

>

jojo72

Theme HELP!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never used a classroom theme before - my school just didn't do it - and this year my teammates are all doing themes. Having never done this before - any suggestions for starting points or how you think of a theme would be most helpful!!! Thanks!!!

jojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote

KANTCH

There are a million themes!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does your school have a theme or is everyone doing their own thing?
If you can pick from anything I would head to the teacher supply store near you and look around. Check out the theme board on proteacher for more ideas.
What grade are you teaching?
I teach middle school and my themes are directed by the theme of my school. I have had a camping theme, and a military (air force theme). This year I have a rainforest/jungle theme.
Have fun but don't go crazy...you can spend too much money so fast! I am sure everyone on this board will have great ideas for you.
Good luck!
KANTCH is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

Old 07-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are lots of themes that you can purchase a ton of premade stuff at the teacher store like ocean or jungle. It would be easy and quick but sometimes can get pricey. If you are willing to spend the time you could make things. I did a sports theme for this year. I found some things at the teacher store like sports border and die cut packages of balls, but I made a lot of stuff to go with this theme too. I just looked through my mailbox magazines that I had. I found a baseball unit that had pigs with baseball bats. I used my overhead and traced one for my behavior area. I made a sign that said grand slam behavior. This theme was a little harder to do than my previous ones because I had to be creative. It is so much easier to go to the teacher store and just buy it already made, but you can save a bundle if you want to get creative.
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherKel

Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am doing a racing theme this year, I have found some things that relate to it, and some things I am making on my own...
TeacherKel is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm doing a patriotic/americana/USA theme. I found TONS of stuff at the Dollar store, Target, Walmart, and have even used some things from Oriental Trading.
(I teach 3rd, btw)

Good Luck!

Kelly

KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

jojo72

Great so far....
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To answer the first question, our school mascot is a crocodile - I have a few stuffed ones in my room, but to do a theme on them would be a challenge. One teammate is doing "hopes and dreams" for her theme and the other is doing the ocean.
I like the pre made stuff idea at least for this year - do you name all the areas in your rooms around that theme then? I would like to do something that melds with our curriculum like explorers or "reaching for the stars" since we do space. But am drawing a blank on what to do after thinking of the actual theme!!!
jojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeDeb

Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This year I am doing a theme for the first time in 13 years. I didn't even realize teachers did a whole class theme until I found PT. I am doing a racing/Disney Cars theme. I have found soooooo many fun things for my class. I am excited to decorate my class, but I do not want summer to end! Some teachers name all areas to go with their theme and others do not! Do what you want with the theme. Once you decide on a theme, go to the Archive at the top of the page and type in key words. Many ideas will pop up for you to chose from.
2ndGradeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

KAN

I think a Fish theme would be cute
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Your class is your "school" of fish.
Your good work board could be titled--This work's a keeper!
Your jobs board could be titled--Tackle these jobs
Reading area--Reel in a Good Book
Lunch count--bait? Fish food?

You could use inexpensive items found at yard sales or possible things you have in your own garage to decorate your room. Tackle boxes for supplies. Hang some fishing poles and nets. If you want you could have a small tank of fish. There are many ready-made items for this theme as well. I hope this helps
KAN is offline   Reply With Quote