Polka Dot Theme - ProTeacher Community

polkadots

polkadots

Polka Dot Theme
Old 07-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am doing a polka dot theme in my 4th grade classroom and was wondering if anyone has done this before or have any good ideas with polka dots. This is what I have so far...

Polka Dot curtains (black with bright polka dots)

Bulletin Boards: Spotlight on Student Work and Student Spotlight

What else can I do???

Thanks for your help!

sanchez2484

poka dot theme
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just had an idea on a bulletin board that you can use to express teamwork among your classroom. Create a dot to dot figure making each dot have the name of each student in the classroom. You may use yarn to connect the dots with the students names. At the end when you connect all the dots you will have a figure and show students that together we can create anything possible using everyones mind! Hope is helpful.
sanchez2484 is offline   Reply With Quote

minmam

Dot Ideas
Old 07-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love polka dots! Last year Walmart had cute polka dot fabric, at least 6 different colors. Also, the book "The Dot" by Peter Reynolds. I've used it in 1st but it should work in 4th. The themes are overcoming self-doubt, self expression, believing in yourself. As a follow up activity, I cut a huge circle out of colored butcher paper and then gave each student a smaller circle to decorate with their own unique design. They then each glued circles onto the large one.
Hope this helps!
minmam is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

I sort of have this theme...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I purchased a rug that has huge multicolor spots on it so I tried to make everything in my room cordinate with that. I created my word wall using dots, I made a dot with each students name on it and framed the window on the door with it. I had BB's with "student spotlight", "looks who's been spotted reading", "spot-tacular work", and I used the colors from the rug in everything I did to make it all match. I have attached a few pics from when I was first starting to put it all together. In one of the pics it shows stars in the cubbies and I changed those to dots also (it has student numbers on it). I can take more pics when I get into my building later this week or next week if you want.

Have fun, I have recieved many compliments on my room.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

azfarkas-- What grade do you teach? Your room looks great! By all means, feel free to post more pics when you get into your building!

Where did you find your rug?

conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

jennystab

Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am doing a polka dot theme as well! I just purchased polka dot borders from my local school supply store to decorate my bulletin boards with! There are also really cute polka dot calendar sets as well. I am going to do a "Get spotted with good behavior" for my behavior board.
jennystab is offline   Reply With Quote

amy23

Old 07-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

i wanted to do polka dots too but i couldn't find any name plates with polka dots and thats what im a stickler about...the name plates must match the rest of it...what are you all doing for name plates? did i miss something out there?
amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

jen517

Amy23
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Could you purchase ones that are more on the plain side and then stick polka dot stickers around the border? You could buy the color dots that are for garage sales or something at Target or Office Max.
jen517 is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

I will post more when I get into my building
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I taught third grade last year and this coming here I will be teaching second grade.

I found my rug at an outlet store in North Carolina. I live in Ohio and they shipped it for free, so I really got a good eal. Here is a link for the same rug...but more expensive!

http://www.rug-decor.com/RDCatalog/detail.aspx?ID=4759

I really like this theme because it can be very simple or you can take it up a notch. I have chosen to keep it simple and I have teachers in my building who stop in just to look around. It's fun
azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

KANTCH

asfarkas your room looks great!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love the colors and I love your rug. Good job creating a welcoming/fun classroom for your lucky second graders! Have a great year!
KANTCH is offline   Reply With Quote

REB

amy23....you could always....
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

you could always take those bright circle shaped stickers that they sell in big packs at Wal-Mart, (they are neon circles, sold near the staplers, index card area....) and place them on a plain name plate? That way you would have plenty of polka dots to do a whole class full of name plates, and the pack of dots costs less than $2. you might even have enough left over to use on a piece of poster board, to help you do one of your rules posters?

P.S. does your Wal-Mart sell fabric on clearance??? I looked at ours and found cute polka dot fabric for $1 a yard. (I'm doing a movie theme...bought the fabric for a board later in the year.)

REB
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
lovedots

lovedots

bingo paints
Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

you can purchase bingo paint/blotters that make perfect polka dots in many colors and "dot" all kinds of things!

akelly00

Polka dot name plates
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just wanted to mention that I found some polka dot name plates at our local Dollar Tree. They were cute and colorful.
akelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
polkadots

polkadots

Thank you!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you all so much for the help! I have the polka dot fabric as curtains in my classroom that I got on clearance at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I cut out circles of all sizes and colors using the Ellison press and put them on my door and one wall. I'll post them when I have a picture of it. For name plates, my don't match but my kids only keep them on for a few weeks. After that, I give them white strips of cardstock and they make their own nametags. They seem to keep these on their desks longer.

Again, thanks for all of the help. I will definitely use many of the suggestions!

jennystab

nametags
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I found the same nametags at my local dollar tree! I also got stickers that coordinate.
jennystab is offline   Reply With Quote

brandirios

Old 08-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

WHere did you get the dots that you used for your word wall? Did you use the same dots for your BB with the kid's names and pics?
Thanks!
Brandi
brandirios is offline   Reply With Quote

Gathings

Old 06-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Are you rewarding the good behavior or removing spots for unwanted behavior
Gathings is offline   Reply With Quote

blooeyedlina

Ideas
Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi, I am a brand new second grade teacher wanting to do the same thing! I have thought about polka dot curtains. I am allowed to paint, so I am buying round sponges to sponge paint polka dots around my classroom. I am going to do a polka dot word wall, as well as create a student helper chart of circles. The dollar tree really does have a lot of great stuff, if you are there the right days. Finally, buy polka dot ribbons from walmart as bb trim. I am looking for more ideas, so help if you can! :]
blooeyedlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Hill3angels

Hill3angels

polka dot classroom
Old 06-23-2008, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I can't get your photos to come up. I would love to see them. Help!! Thanks

funjob

Polka Dot Name Plates
Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I found red/white and black/white polka dot name plates at Teachingthings.com. There are also posters and border. Good Luck!
funjob is offline   Reply With Quote
jk

jk

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

As I am preparing for a new school year, I found a piece of fabric that I bought last year (probably at WalMart) that has large colorful polka dots on black fabric. After reading about your "dot" themed room, I wonder if your curtains are the same fabric. Long story short...I can't find the fabric anymore! Do you have ideas on where I might look next?

em2pig

Homemade Polka Dots
Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I bought plain royal blue fabric and hung it straight across my windows using velcro with heavy duty adhesive. Then, I bought bright, lime green copy paper and cool blue copy paper and cut two different size dots using each color. I used packing tape to hang the paper onto the fabric! It looks great and I can change it out (i.e. snowflakes in the winter) if I get tired of this look! :-)
em2pig is offline   Reply With Quote
johnson4kids

johnson4kids

Old 05-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

What a terrific idea! I'm planning a polka dot theme for next year and this is perfect. THANK YOU!!!!!

kinderdh

Movie theme
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I would like to see your ideas on a movie theme. Sounds interesting.
kinderdh is offline   Reply With Quote

Mol344

Rug
Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

where did you get your rug?
Mol344 is offline   Reply With Quote

brushfire

border
Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I just painted my room a light light lime green...nothing shocking!! And I painted a turq. border around my board. At least 12 inches wide. Then I painted various sizes ploka dots in hot pink, purple, and lime green and then trimmed around those with white! Totally precious if I do say so myself! Now everyone at my school is wanting to do it!!!!
brushfire is offline   Reply With Quote