netflix, amazon prime... - ProTeacher Community

ar719

netflix, amazon prime...
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Does anyone know which works best for streaming movies? I wondered price wise as well as availability of a variety of movies. I really don't know much about this but want to do a Christmas gift.
thanks!

ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Netflix has a larger catalog of movies and TV shows, but Amazon has some that Netflix does not have. So if there's a particular show you want to watch, check to see who has it.

Amazon is very slightly cheaper for streaming only, but you also get free 2-day shipping and the ability to borrow one book for kindle per month.

So if Amazon has what you want, it's worth it because you get the free shipping and one free kindle book to borrow per month. We went with Netflix because it had a bigger variety of things we wanted to see.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 AM

I agree with everything Gromit said.

I also wanted to add that not everything is compatible with all streaming. I think my Google TV will not stream Amazon or there was some weird compatiblity thing with my Wii... I forget the whole issue and it may have been resolved by now ( with software updates or new aggreements with the companies) but I just wanted to mention it. if you are just using a computer, it's fine but if you are using something else, I'd make sure it is compatible.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

rillaGurl

Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 AM

We have both...

We stream from Netflix 98% of the time. Occasionally we'll watch something on Amazon that Netflix doesn't have, but that's rare. We feel it's worth it though, even though we rarely stream, because of the free 2-day shipping, and we do shop on Amazon quite often.

The thing you have to watch for is with Amazon, they may have it available to stream, but not for free. So, be sure to check if it's included in Prime for streaming or if there's a rental fee (not sure exactly what it's called) for the show/movie.
rillaGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I am not much of a television watcher, so I just have Amazon. Right now I'm working in the office on my desktop computer and have my iPad streaming episodes of Justified while I work.

I would never need Netflix, but I use Amazon mostly for the free book a month for my Kindle Fire and the free two-day shipping. I live in the boonies, and I use the shipping all the time.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Old 12-01-2013, 05:37 PM

We have both, but the Amazon was a happy addition to our accounts when they came out with the streaming. We have had Amazon Prime for years for the free two day shipping. We know our UPS man really well...

You have good information here. Both are good, usually have different things. Amazon seems to me to have a bigger selection of things I want to watch, and more new stuff. If it is really recent you may have to pay extra, but we have watched hours and hours for free.
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote