Help

ARCHIVE

Classroom Rules and Consequences

>

Hummingbird

Classroom Rules and Consequences
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your classroom rules and consequences for not following the rules? Since I am at a new school that does not have a scheduled recess for 4th grade I'm stumped as to what consequences I can use.

Thanks!

Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote

BirdSong

Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Rules:

1. Be prepared.
2. Be on time.
3. Raise your hand to speak: do not interrupt.
4. Keep your hands, feet, and all other objects to yourself at all times.
5. Be respectful to everyone at all times.

I understand that #2 isn't really in their control if their parents bring them to school late. This rule applied to students who are here, but loiter in the halls talking and wasting time.

I also do not like to have a quiet classroom, so noise is alright with me. #3 is in place because I do not like to be interrupted or have students interrupted. It is rude and I am teaching them to be patient.

Consequences:
Time off recess
Loss of class job
Time away from classroom

These consequences usually work great! If I ever need to, I do send students to other classrooms in other grade levels. We are discouraged from sending children to the office b/c it shows that we cannot control our classroom. I agree!

I use positive reinforcements whenever I can. Students earn classroom tickets for doing well and can redeem them throughout the week for special priviledges: sitting at teacher's desk, sitting in a bean bag, sitting in the director's chair, sitting with a friend, getting to chew gum, getting to eat with a friend, getting a treat from the treasure box, etc... Students work real hard to earn these.

I rarely have any behavior issues other than minor offenses.

Good luck!
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

missbrownatl

I don't have the list in front of me but...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are usually really simple and all-encompassing:

1) Be prepared to learn and allow others to learn (includes being respectful, having all materials, not interrupting, etc.)

2) If you cause a problem, try to fix it.

3) Respect yourself and others.

4) Be ready to try new things.
missbrownatl is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Old 07-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My rules are simple, yet all-encompassing.
1. Respect yourself.
2. Respect others.
3. Respect ALL property.
4. Take responsibility for your actions.
We discuss what respect and responsibilty mean and we share examples and nonexamples of the different rules so they understand what is expected of them.

We use assertive discipline on our school-the whole name on the board thing. I also implement a lot of Love and Logic and Fred Jones techniques. My classroom management is sort of a "hodge-podge" of different ideas. Many will say that they are incompatible, but I disagree. It works well for me, and I do not have many behavior issues.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

nanz

Expectations
Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My classroom expectations (rather than rules) use the acronym HOW I ACTED. Each letter stands for an expectation and is easy to use to document misbehavior. The letters stand for:

H - be Honest always
O - stay On task
W - do your best Work
I - never Injure others by word or deed
A - keep a positive Attitude
C - use self Control
T - Talk in turn
E - strive for Excellence in everything
D - follow directions

I try to state the expectations in the positive because they reflect what I want to see from my students everyday. When a student misbehaves, I say something like, "I am expecting to see something from you right now. What might that be?" I try to question the student in such a way that the responsibility for the behavior stays with the student.

As far as my consequences, I utilize removal from the group most often. Students are first moved to a refocus area within the classroom where they can still be a part of the learning. If the behavior continues, students are then moved to a buddy room. I always send students with work that must be completed before they can return. If need be, I will use loss of recess and/or free choice time as an additional consequence.

nanz is offline   Reply With Quote
wifey23

wifey23

4th grade teacher
Old 07-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I follow the Love and Logic one rule...
"You can do anything you like as long as it doesn't cause a problem for someone else"
This rule combines every rule you can think of. As for consequences I have a safe seat and if a student continues to not follow the rule after some redirection from me, then they must take their work and work at the safe seat, but I always say "You can go back to your seat when you feel ready to not cause a problem". If the student continues to cause a problem they go to a buddy classroom, which is another grades classroom (I set this up with the teacher at the beginning of the year) and they work at their safe seat.
I don't have reward systems in my classroom and the students seem to like to do their best just to make me happy.

"Love and Logic" by Jim Fay and David Funk is an awesome book and an awesome program - it works!

stretchberry

Preferred Activity Time -- Fred Jones
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you read anything about Fred Jones' Preferred Activity Time (PAT)? With no recess, I would definitely incorporate this into the schedule. He has a book, Tools for Teaching, but you can read most of the ideas from the book at the link below.

http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr...es/jones.shtml

The basic idea is that students earn Preferred Activity Time--time for fun learning games and activities or even just free time by cooperating, not wasting instruction time, and following rules.

My classroom expectations are
Be polite and helpful at all times.
Follow instructions immediately.
Keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
Do not disrupt the learning of others.
Respect the property of others.
Get permission before leaving the class.
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote