Tiki Hut - ProTeacher Community

pixieshor

Tiki Hut
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I'm planning on having a jungle/tropical/beachy theme in my room this year. I wanted to buy a tiki hut, but they are WAY to expensive, so I was thinking about building one from PVC pipe or something like that. Does anyone or has anyone built something like this and are you willing to share how? Thanks!!

pixieshor is offline   Reply With Quote

katiebaum

Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At Target they had one of those things that go over a bed like a canopy but it was a grass skirt.
katiebaum is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

Party supply stores
Old 07-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out the party supply stores too. They will probably start clearancing out the summer type stuff pretty soon. You might get a good deal on grass skirts, leis, etc. Sounds like fun.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Oriental trading
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Orientaltrading company had one that was fairly cheap.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelley S

Tiki Hut
Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Factory Card and Party Outlet had a tabletop Tiki Hut for around $50.

Shelley S is offline   Reply With Quote

patty8999

tiki hut
Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can build one cheep and easy. Go to a carpet store and ask for the rolls that carpet comes on (I think they come in 15' lengths) get 2 and cut them in half to make 4. Go to a hardware store and get 4-2'x2' pieces of plywood (places like Home Depot will cut them for you), get 4-2"x2"x2' wooden stakes, 4-large round wooden rods cut to whatever length you want ( if you have old curtin rods at home you're not useing that may work too.) 16 L brackets and 32 screws. Go home and attach the wooden stakes to the center of the plywood with the L brackets and screws. Drill or cut 4 holes in the top of each carpet roll, 2 across from each other about 3" down from the top and the other two across from each other 1" down from the bottom of the first holes (so that when you put the wooden rods in they will cross each other.) Before putting the rods in slide the carpet rolls over the wooden stakes then put the rods in the holes and tie them together where the cross. You can decorate the carpet rolls with burlap or brown construction paper. The top can be done the same way or if you find grass skirts or tiki thatch on clearance that would be really cute. Good luck! Thanks for the idea, I may do this at the end of the school year.!!
patty8999 is offline   Reply With Quote

pixieshor

Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the help!

Krissy
pixieshor is offline   Reply With Quote

mhdempsey

Super Easy Tiki Hut
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hey- I just put my tiki hut up today- I'm going on my 3rd year with it and still love it! It's very easy to put together. I built mine by using a grass beach umbrella. I found it several years ago at CVS...I'm sure you could find one somewhere. I went to Michael's and bought 5 hollow bamboo poles and 5 small tera cotta pots (you can buy more if you want to. I went to Home Depot and bought QuikCrete. Mix the quikcrete together, place poles into the center of the pots, and pour the concrete into the pots. When the concrete is dry- open the umbrella and put the tips of it down into the tops of the poles. Bend the center bar (that would be stuck in the sand). The umbrella rests really easily and it's really cute to pin those little lantern lights to the top. I've got mine in a corner of the room and I have strict rules for students who are using it. I even have a little blow up monkey who likes to hang from bar the inside of the umbrella. I made several pillows that were the color of sand to spruce it up. It's really easy to put up and take down and store during the summer months. I hope this helps...
mhdempsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Debbie

Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I made one by turning a table upside down and attaching beach mats all over to make the sides. I took a large piece of cardboard and folded n half to make roof. Then I attached rafia table skirting to look like the thatched roof. the kids loved it!!
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

mamabear

PVC Pipe/ hut
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am doing a beach theme this year.
I am a librarian, and my desk has a long counter connected to one side with windows along the other side.

I am connecting PVC pipe purchased from an irrigation supply store in the shape of goal posts. Two seperate goals; one for the top of the desk, and one for the top of the counter.
I will either design the bottom in the shape of a cross to stabelize them, or place them in buckets of sand. Haven't done this yet.

I am painting them brown to resemble bamboo or wood. I will then glue a table skirt made of raffia and shells along the top edge. (purchased from Oriental Trading Co.) also hanging lanterns around the top edge.
Along the back windows I'm stringing a ski rope and hanging beach towels, suits, and flip flops

Calling it the librarian/lifeguard shack

good luck
mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
sfarley

sfarley

Tiki Hut
Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi! I have a tiki hut in my classroom, and the kids absolutely love it! I purchased a 10x10 shelter (found at any sporting goods store, or even welmart), and hot glued hawaiian table skirting (found at party stores). I keep fake plants inside to give it more scenery. I use it for a reading hut, so there are bean bags inside, etc. I have hung little xmaslights inside as well, and the kids think it is so cool to be able to read in there! Good luck with yours!