TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

chin hairs

>

embarassed

embarassed

chin hairs
Old 10-05-2005, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, I am completely embarassed to even discuss this but here goes. I have black, course chin hairs that I have to tweeze away every couple of days. It is so gross and embarassing. Any suggestions on what I can do? I am only in my early 30's and the problem has been going on for 5 years. I am also a very fair skinned person with light hair that normally doesn't grow quickly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anon

Anon

Re:
Old 10-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the same problem but not only on the chin area. I wax my upper lip, chin, and eyebrows about once a month. I got tired of paying to have it done so I bought my own kit at a beauty supply store. It was about $30. You can buy refills of wax for about $6 which lasts for several waxings. I have to tweeze very little between waxings. I have read that tweezing makes the hair that grows back stiffer than if you wax.

Tiffany

Getting older
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't really have a suggestion but doesn't getting older stink! I'm in my mid thirties and have occasional stray chin hairs that I pluck.

I don't want to be too personal but my cousin had an IUD and said that she had that problem with the black hairs. They went away when she had it removed.

Me too
Old 10-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm only 25, and I have a coarse, black hair that grows on my chin. I pluck it when it gets long enough, but then it always comes back. I remember that when I was little my mom went to the electrolysis, and so did my grandmother. I guess it runs in the family. If mine get worse, I'll definitely go to the electrolysis to have the hair removed permanently. Until then I'll keep waxing my lip

me too!

me too!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel your pain. I'm 25 and have the same problem. It's especially embarassing when you get out with no tweezers and remember that you've forgotten to deal with them. RATS! Happy plucking! )

AD

Me Too...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also get hairs on my chin that I have to tweeze (I'm 28). When I start to feel them I tweeze away! It helps to stand in front of natural light (like the window), so I can see them better.

You could probably get them waxed. I get my eyebrows and lip waxed, but I don't feel that my chin is that big of a problem to just tweeze once in awhile.

Sometimes if I forget to tweeze for awhile I can feel them while I'm out and without a tweezer. That's annoying! I usually obsess on them and can't wait to get to my tweezers!

Ima Teacher

Hog Bristles
Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My friend calls them "hog bristles". Can you tell we're from a rural area? She always had tweezers in her purse.

I had to take large doses of steriods a few years ago, and I developed plenty of unwanted hair. . . upper lip, chin, "sideburns", and arms.

I bleach the arm hair, but I use a sensitive skin cream hair remover for the rest of it. I have VERY sensitive skin, and waxing takes part of my SKIN off with it!

Mrs. G

Your not alone
Old 10-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have had the same problem for several years. I pluck some and when I don't have time to do that I shave them. I also have the course hair on my side burns. I wax my upper lip, but the wax doesn't work on my chin. I try to pluck as often as I can. I would really like to do the laser thing, but it is way too much money. It is really embarrassing, but I found that most people don't notice if you keep it under control.

Tylana

Me too
Old 10-07-2005, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow! I thought it was just me. Amazing how many others have this probelm too. I am in my late 20's. I have to many to tweeze adn am too busy. I simply shave them away every morning in the shower. No more embarassing hairs.

kirsten

wow, I feel better
Old 10-12-2005, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thought it was a sign of aging. Guess I can slip back into my blissful state of denial if folks are getting them 20 years before I did - and thankfully mine are blond. Nothing a good wax job can't take care of
scc

scc

Be careful
Old 10-14-2005, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would advise against the shaving. SHAVING makes more of them grow and it gets thicker and more coarse!! I pluck but lately I started bleaching them and it seems to be working to lighten them up enough wheras you can not see them well. I have noticed too that since I slowed down on the plucking and waxing--they have slowed down in growing so much.

mab

chin hairs
Old 10-14-2005, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Did anyone happen to notice on Oprah the other day that Maria Shriver was on and doing a special report and when the camera focused on her face in the light that she had lots of chin hairs and they were long. So, if the first lady of California has them, the rest of us shouldn't worry too much!
Teach2

Teach2

Chin Hairs
Old 10-15-2005, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I can't believe no one even suggested laser treatment. It's very expensive, but it kills the root and eventually the hairs don't grow back. It worked for me, no more tweezing...ever.

Mrs. G

Laser question?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I mentioned it in my earlier post, but said I thought it was expensive. If you don't mind me asking, about how much does it cost. I would love to quit tweezing!

BBB

Hi Ima
Old 10-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Do you mind posting the brand of hair remover for sensitive skin that you use? I have been using one of the brands from Wal Mart. I know there must be better products available.
teach2

teach2

Hair Today
Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

There's a place called Hair Today Gone Tomorrow that I go to for chin hairs. It's kind of like a laser treatment. It was VERY expensive, $900. I believe. I'm covered for a full year, and the year is half over and it has reduced the hair growth by at least 75%. Normally I would not pay that much money, but I was desperate after years of almost daily plucking. The results vary from person to person. Also, it's important to get those hairs before they turn white. Once that happens, the light from the therapy can't see them to destroy them. Good luck...I know what a drag those hairs can be.

ogteacher

ogteacher

and then...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This brings to mind the day one of my 4th graders drew a portrait of me. Very sweet it was, and very proud was the student, who announced,"Look, I even got your little moustache!"

Next day, out came those tweezers!

Chris

KEKE

KEKE

Check This Out - Chin Hairs
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have had the same problem with chin hairs since my early 20s. I finally got over the embaressment and spoke to my GYN. She asked how my periods were - bloody awful (no pun intended) I replied. I have super-nuke PMS and irregular periods. She stated that irregular hair growth patterns--incl, coarse hair growth patterns, color changes in hair on facial areas, and frequent hair growth on face could be a symptom of hormornal inbalance. She also stated that women who are on the same birth control pills for a long time may experience this when it is time to change their regime. She indicated that birth control pills can help the problem intially, but like any pill after a long time the body builds a resistence and adjustments need to be made.

I opted not to do the hormones; and instead, got my chin lasered. No hairs for me.

Lottalove

Before I was treated for
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) I had them all the time. I took medication and it level out my symptoms including unwanted facial hair and irregular periods. BTW, the medication was not a hormone treatment, it was Metformin (which is a med to control blood sugar levels and happens to help with the symptoms of PCOS as well.)
JessicaM1977

JessicaM1977

Please DON'T Shave!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My grandmother-in-law is so scratchy because she shaves her chin...my 2-year-old calls her prickly! I hate the hairs I get, too - why would I have Googled "chin hairs" otherwise?!! - but tweezing is a cheap, easy solution!