Help

Inspirations

The REAL meaning of Christmas

>

TishFish

The REAL meaning of Christmas
Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in a small Catholic school. We had a student join our class a couple days before Thanksgiving. She is Christian (although not active in any church), but not Catholic. We have many non-Catholic students because we are in an urban area and people choose us as an alternative to the public schools.

Anyways...This morning, my 3rd graders were tracing their hands onto green paper and cutting them out in order to make an Advent Wreath. I was playing Christmas music and they were discussing what they were going to do for the holiday.

The new student then says, "I want an X-Box One for Christmas."

No one else had been talking about what they wanted, but instead about going to see Santa at the mall or what they were going to eat for Christmas dinner, etc.

Another student says, "That's not what Christmas is for."

Then a few others chimed in with comments like, "Christmas is to celebrate Jesus' birthday." "Christmas is for going to Church and celebrating Jesus." "Jesus came into our hearts on Christmas."

None of this was said to the girl in an unkind way. Instead, all of the other students wanted to ensure that she understood what was REALLY going on during this special time.

She just said, "Oh, I thought it was about getting presents." and started to laugh. Some of the other students laughed too, but they continued to patiently explain to her how Advent works and what we're celebrating on Christmas.

It was so touching to hear the inspired words that my students shared. It was certainly better than I could have explained it myself.

As you go through these next two weeks before Christmas, try to remember why we celebrate the holiday. Even if you are not Christian, try to make this time of year a time of peace, love and happiness for your students and families.

TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Minaya

Ms. Minaya

Christmas
Old 09-03-2016, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Aren't Catholics Christians as well? Don't they believe in Christ?