Moby Max - ProTeacher Community

StoneSoup

Moby Max
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just discovered a site called Moby Max. I was wondering if anyone else has used it and what you think/thought of it. I also wonder if you are using the free or paid for version. I am trying to get my school to pay for the advanced program.
It can be used for free or if you want the added features you can pay what I think is a very reasonable price. ($79)
We are trying it with our first graders. It has reading, math, math facts, language, and test prep. The students seem to like it so far. I like that it is differentiated so it works for my multilevel students.
One of the things I like about it so far is that my students can use it at school or home. I have been looking for something I could recommend to my parents. It tracks how much time they are on and how they are doing in different areas.

Last edited by StoneSoup; 01-26-2014 at 03:38 PM..
StoneSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Pretty cool, huh?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am only using the free version with one student, an extremely bright math student. It has been a wonderful way to challenge him and teach him more advanced skills although the "teaching" is all done by Moby Max! So you are using it for all your students? Then the $$ would be a value. For some reason it only comes up on one computer in my classroom ( I have three-mine and two for student use.) I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure out why that is happening. But agreed--great site!
slg is online now   Reply With Quote

JLCWriting

K-2
Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in a district that does not have any standardized testing for K-2. So in that aspect, I think it is a great tool to help little bitties use the computer for assessment purposes. I am not sure how accurately it places students since some of mine tested really low in some areas. Our whole school just started using it.
JLCWriting is offline   Reply With Quote

steach

Yes!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is our first year to use the paid version whole school. So far I really like what I see. For some students it's a real motivator. Our school runs contest/challenges all the time. It will be interesting to see what effect it will have on our test scores.
steach is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is our first year using the paid version. We like it a lot. I use it in a rotation with other sites so the students use it about once a week for reading and once a week for math.

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use it and like it. Students are taught at their own level so all abilities benefit. The only problem if finding time to fit it all in.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

What does the $79 include?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is that a class subscription? Or just an individual? Sounds neat!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

MobyMax
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That $79 is for an unlimited number of students per teacher. I splurged and got it. I have only had this version for a week and so far I think it is well worth the cost. I have been looking for something that was reasonable, helped my students practice both at school and at home, and was easy for my students to use.
I love the extra features.
The students earn badges and game time. They think the badges are cool. Later I will print them out for them. The students love the games and I control how much game time they earn by how many minutes they are on. For now, I have them get 1 minute of games for every 5 minutes of play.
I can give them Vibes, both good and bad. However, I am only giving good vibes to the students who earn them, because I want this to be a positive experience. It was so fun to see their faces as they checked the vibes.
I can create contests. I have one that allows students who practice 60 minutes at home to earn a trip to the treasure box. (YES, I know this isn't exactly fair to students who don't have computer access.) I am also starting one that includes school practice. Students can get on it during free time/computer time.
The clicker allows me to create an online review. I just tried this, so I am not sure how well it will work.
It is so easy to track student time and practice.
It is definitely "neat" and I plan on using it next year. You really should check it out. They also send 30 free prizes if you have 5 students earn 200 points in a period of time. (I think it is about 5 weeks, but I am not positive.)

Queensryche

I'm using Mobymax!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I paid the $79 for myself to see if I liked this and would have the school pay for next year. I am currently doing test-prep for grades 3-8 for my RTI students. My students LOVE using this. They work once a week on Reading and Math in class then continue at home if they wish. I also found using the contest feature fantastic as an incentive to continue this at home.
Queensryche is offline   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

Queensryche
Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Have you tried the message board? My firsties LOVE sending me notes and getting messages. Some of them are so funny!
One of my boys is fascinated with the name Bob. He sent me a message that said,
"Hi Bob." I messaged back. "My name is not Bob." The next day, he was so excited to get the message. He laughed and said, "You, said-My name is not Bob." His next message was "Hi this is bobe." I loved the humor he showed.
I get messages about how their day has gone, concerns, and just the normal-You are the best techer.-This is fun.
I am glad your students are loving it. I know mine are and have logged in a lot of minutes in the month that we've had it.
I think I've convinced my principal to buy it for us next year.