Help

ARCHIVE

hiking theme ideas

>

hike4fun

hiking theme ideas
Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

as you can probably tell by my online nickname, i LOVE to hike. i have spent half the summer debating on whether or not i would do a theme for this upcoming year, and i decided to take the plunge! originally i was going to do "teams/sports" but i am not very interested in sports. so i would love to do a hiking/nature theme. is there any great ideas out there for this theme? i love rocks as well... i am just having a hard time coming up with how to tie this whole theme thing together. PLEASE HELP!! time is running short....

hike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

keb

keb

Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

trailblazers?
trekkers?
explorers?
kwpritchet03

kwpritchet03

Old 07-28-2007, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could do sort of a hiking/camping theme. I'm doing something like that for my speech therapy classroom. I put a tent in the corner for a reading center, and I used a little red cooler to hold the books. (someone on this board posted that idea) You might fill a little hiking backpack with books and prop it next to the tent. On my hallway door, I'm making it look like you are walking into a tent somehow.....haven't finished yet. Anyway, I am going to put "Hike on in for Speech" on the door.

Oh yeah - I'm going to try to construct a campfire this week out of real wood, orange and yellow tissue paper, and some rocks. Good luck!

CageyBee

Hiking/Camping Theme
Old 07-28-2007, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was in Kindergarten I did a camping theme that included:
A bulletin board with 3D S'mores that read "S'more Books You'll Love!" (I used a wooden skewer but a thin twig would be better, sheets of craft foam for cracker and chocolate, and a "fake" marshmallow that was part of a foam snowman craft from Oriental Trading...too cute!)
I crumbled a long sheet of brown kraft paper to resemble rocks and made a cave in the corner so the children could read inside it. I had low bulletin boards and so I could staple it on for support but you could use a small table or desk as the base on which to place the paper.
I had a backpack with a compass, map, binoculars, butterfly net, pencil, etc. so the children could hike around the room and collect bugs, rocks, and butterflies that I "hid" in plain site. Each had sight words, letters, values, numbers, etc. depending on what was being practiced that week.
I had a set of steps that flipped to be a rocking boat which I placed on paper water. The hikers could pretend it was a raft and float downstream back to their base camp where activities could be completed.
At Halloween we did lots about bats and the cave had a spelunkking physical activity drawn on picture cards.

Some title you might be able to use:
Take a Hike
H.I.K.E. notebooks that stand for "Helping Independent Kids Explore"
Climb to the Top
Going in the Right Direction (Use GSP or compass)
Trail Guides for your job board if you have one ...or Seasonal Naturalists
Scale to the Top
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

hike4fun

thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

wow- i like your ideas. so far i have come up with calling my meeting area the campfire, i love the ideas of having books in a cooler, and having my kids singing "happy trails" at the end of the day
thanks for all your suggestions so far!

hike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote