Why I Love Teaching

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Why I Love Teaching
Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you about teaching? Of course, the kids!

Here's the challenge! Because we all know there are things about teaching that are very frustrating... Think of something you love about teaching besides the kids.

It can be a very simple thing - whatever gives you satisfaction, that you personally enjoy, and makes teaching something you love to do.

Please join us by sharing something (or some things) you love about teaching besides the kids!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always joked that I became a teacher because I loved stickers (and putting them on tests, etc) and I love creating bulletin boards! Happy Valentines Day everyone!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

teaching
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love learning new facts about history--no matter how many years I teach the same subject, I always learn something new!
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Tons of stuff
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I truly love my job for many reasons. I recently went to a conference and met many amazing teachers. Everyone I met was at the conference was seeking new ways to help our kids be successful in reading and writing. You could feel the energy in every room of the conference!

I love teaching because of my co-workers. Many of us come early and stay late. Many of us always greet our kids with smiles. Our compassion shines through with our attitudes.

I love my job because my boys were able to come to school with me. I got to see them during the day.

I love my job because every day is different. Some are challenging some are easy but each day is a gift. It keeps me on my toes.

Finally, I love my job because it is my passion. I get excited for back to school sales and I drool over new children's books at book fairs or stores.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

With teaching, there's constantly something new- and that's fun! I'm teaching new material or presenting it in a different way. I research how other teachers are teaching the same thing so I can bring fresh ideas into the classroom. Even though we teachers have a lot of work, I appreciate that the work itself is constantly changing because it's enjoyable to have new things and ways to teach.

teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I love.....
Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

getting my room ready in the late summer. Everything is clean! I make new name tags, new anchor charts if needed, cut out shapes and put up new curtains. Its exciting to get everything set up and pull out some new things that I found over the summer at garage sales or at a discount store.

The other special part is checking in with colleagues that I haven't seen for the past few months! We fill each other in on visits we've made, projects we've been working on and family and friend time. We do this all while we are setting up our rooms during those last few weeks of summer!

This is truly my favorite part of teaching.......the beginning of a new year, a new crop of kiddos and a fresh new start!
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

My colleagues!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sharing our passion for teaching and kids has led me to some of the best friends I ever could have hoped to meet. We seem to share the same priorities, can laugh at the same silly kid bloopers, and just enjoy each others' company. If I didn't teach where I teach, I would have missed out on the best support group ever, my 2nd family. I love my teacher peeps!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

Why I love teaching
Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the creativity of writing lesson plans.
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MaxPebbles

what I love...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love how I get 178 days to spend with my family!
MaxPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What I about teaching is seeing the learning transfer to another subject or even another day. As a special education teacher, at times, I feel like I'm not being understood. But when I do another lesson and my students can understand it because they remembered a previous lesson, that's what I love.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

What I Love About Teaching
Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This may sound odd to many; but, I think one of the biggest things I love about teaching is the planning. Yes, I love planning out lessons and projects! I enjoy coming out to my classroom on a weekend and get inspired to create a unit that will not only "teach" my students about something; but, will ignite a fire in them to learn more. I love when I've put in the planning time that brings together a unit of study where I think, "Wow, I should publish and sell that baby!" I love the planning stage of my job ~ especially when I'm inspired to make it the best unit I've created yet (until the next one!)
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

I love kindergarten...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Of course, the student's face, when they "get" it, such as finally understanding the word they are blending.

The growth made in K from August to June.

Being silly, such as singing Dr. Jean or Jack Hartmann songs.

Still being able to do fun projects.

I could go on, but...
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Beloved Colleagues
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The #1 thing that was always, always a ray of in my teaching day, no matter how otherwise, was my colleagues. I credit my fellow teachers, support staff, administrators and (YES) PT community with lifting my confidence with when I was feeling incompetent, with lending an ear to my vents, with re-energizing my enthusiasm with new , and putting that in my mailbox when the going got rough. I could not have made it through 30++++ years without you sitting next to me on the commuter bus, at hand in the classroom next door, at my table during meetings and inservice, and online 24/7. I teachers! My former colleagues are still among my best friends for life.
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

I love teaching 1st grade reading
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love teaching 1st graders to read because I was a terrible reader. I remember what it's like to not know what's going on. I learned to read well as an adult and I want to help children so they won't have to go through what I went through.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

campy

I love
Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

feeling of accomplishment when a lesson just seems to CLICK.Everyone is engaged and learning.

I also LOVE reading aloud.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

I Love...
Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

that I get to make a personal connection with the families of the students. Since I've taught for over 30 years, I have taught siblings and even children of students I've had. This year I have 4 students who are siblings of previous children I had and I love that I can keep in touch with the older students through them. And I love that I know the parents and they know me.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

rappinteach

What I Love About Teaching
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

The thing that I love about teaching is that it allows me to spend more time with my own children. I have summers off to do fun family things, minus the professional development days and sprinkled meetings. Teaching has also allowed me the opportunity to bring them to work with me and be close by during school hours, but still give them and me our own time. I like knowing that I can be there if there is a concern or hearing the good things they are up too. I will be giving them up soon enough. It is nice to know we have a common educational experience and that they realize the importance I place on their learning.
rappinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

A ha! moments
Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I really love those moments, after bending over backwards, doing a dance, whatever you have to do to make them understand, one of the kids says, "Oh I get it!!"
jml122 is offline   Reply With Quote

QTpie

School love...
Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

One of the things I love about teaching is the camaraderie I find working with other teachers day to day. When I'm down or frustrated about something I know I can go to one of my colleagues for help or support. When I have something positive happening they are there to celebrate with me!
QTpie is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

One thing I love...
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

is that I get to live my dream of life long learning. I get to learn new things from my colleagues and students. I have always said if I could get paid to go to school I would be a professional student. Being an educator is probably as close as I will get to making that dream a reality.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Being a lifelong learner
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I love learning new things myself! This year, we started a robotics team and I was just as eager and excited to learn how to work the robot as my students. It was great for them to see that teacher's don't always know everything and that we're learning right along with them.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

I love the Silliness!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love that I can get together with these little people that I love and just be as silly as I would want to be! I can dance, do magic tricks (a.k.a. science), get phone calls from leprechauns or even Santa himself, make a puppet talk or act really strange/silly, put on hats and glasses or use my awful singing voice and equally awful made up songs just to get their attention. They are so easy to please and so simple in their needs. Seeing them smile and/or laugh just makes my day! I love laughing with them!
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

What I Love
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I love finding and reading beautiful new picture books and awesome novels with the kids every year.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Sorry, but if it weren't for the kids, I'd be gone...I do enjoy my coworkers.
kster is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Witnessing the genuine joy of learning!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

To witness the pure joy of realization when a child exclaims, "I've got it!" is a thrill that never gets old.
When a child excitedly gushes about something they have seen or done outside the classroom that relates to a lesson, I am reminded how a child is trying to make sense of their world.
I love watching the growth of a child's mind and spirit throughout the school year.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

rebeccav

Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I love collaborating with colleagues!
rebeccav is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I love the lightbulb moments!
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

I Love Teaching!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I love when I get to dismiss students from ESL. I'm confident that we have given them all the tools they need to succeed.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

School family
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I taught at the same school for most of my career and I loved the the family atmosphere and camaraderie of the entire staff. The support, encouragement, sharing and love made it an amazing place to work. I always felt like it was my second home and I have lifelong friends that I met there.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I love the ability
Old 02-12-2014, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

to be creative. I love putting together a play, a song, a craft that supports community and learning. I also love to see when the kids get something. I actually get the shivers. And...I love the books and sharing good literature. I always tell the kids they are so lucky to have such wonderfully written and illustrated books. Child centered literature was just beginning when I went through grade school. I remember loving the Dick and Jane basals and the watercolors of the characters.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Queenie Peavy

My classroom is a work of heART!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I love being able to express my creative/artistic side through teaching. I really enjoy working on bulletin boards and classroom displays. I even embellish worksheets with artistic pieces. Often people comment about how cozy my room is and I believe a large part of that is all of the artistic touches throughout my room. For middle school is quite unexpected!
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Children want to please
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I taught Middle School for most of my 40 years. I believe that kids really deep down inside want to please the teacher. That to me is what kept me going. Students love to hear stories about your own children. Students love to see you dance, laugh, and get excited. It does not have to always be about academics. When my husband was ill a student told me his family prayed for my husband. Several months later at a pizza fund raiser the same student came up to my husband and introduced himself and asked how my husband was doing. His parents were at another table and nodded. When I returned after a two week absence the students told me they missed me. Gee, I only had them for a week. The students wanted to know everything. I gave them limited information. They truly were so sweet. Even the naughty kids showed compassion.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

I Love Teaching
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I love teaching, because I get to become very organized. I get to write stories, tell stories, and share stories.

I love teaching, because I get to learn from others. I'm exposed to new ideas and not so new ideas.

I love teaching, because teaching is here, inside my .
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

thing1thing2

Planning, Collaborating, Small Groups, Oh My!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I absolutely planning for my students. While my previous year plans serve as a guide, I focus activities around the ability, skill, and atmosphere of my present students. Sometimes even the best activity doesn't work with the group of students you have.

Collaboration with other colleagues helps in adding ideas, noticing trends, and identifying grade level academic issues that we as a team need to find a way to address. Educating young children should not occur in a bubble. In a mature team, collaboration helps to build up new teachers and provide a new twist to some activities for others.

Small group instruction is SOOO the way to go. I'll NEVER go back to whole grouping all day. This approach makes managing, meeting needs, and moving ALL students forward very doable .
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Birds of a Feather Flock Together
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Just recently I felt uplifted by the sense of unity with fellow teachers I felt. My grade band met to discuss the new LA program this year. I looked around at our small group and reflected on how much I admire each teacher, how proud I am to be part of the faculty at our school, and how much we all, in fact, do accomplish.
Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I love that teaching means I get to spend summers and holidays with my little boy. No other job would be so flexible.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

I love...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I love the fact that each year, I have a fresh start. My loose ends from the previous year are all neatly tied up and I've had a chance to reflect and change to make my classroom and teaching work smarter for me and my students. Changing things up a bit each year keeps me refreshed and excited about the year. Not many professionals have the chance to change so easily in their job.
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

hopealope

that light bulb moment
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I absolutely love that moment when you think I can't teach it any other way and all of a sudden that light bulb goes off and they get it. As well as when a student comes back the next year and thanks you for pushing them to work hard and having faith in them!
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

What I love about teaching
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I don't feel I'm that creative and really can't think of original teaching ideas on my own very well. But I love taking something else I see and (with permission of course, if it is a co-worker's original creation) and tweaking it a lot or a little and making it fit my students! I get so into it and really spend way more time on it than I probably should. That is fun for me! Simple things!

Also, I love how teaching has brought me lifelong friends through the years. We may not see each other much, but when we do, there is still that instant bond that brought us together in the first place and a sincere deep affection for one another. Come to think of it, all of my closest friends are either former co-workers or are involved in the education field somehow. Love them!

And of course, it goes without saying, I love how teaching has brought together all the fun ladies and gents of PT!
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

My colleagues
Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I love my colleagues. For the most part, I work with a group of supportive, kind people. Most of our faculty really has your back when things go wrong. They are supportive when personal issues arise. We genuinely like each other.

As much as I love the kids, the mission, etc., what makes the school I'm at better is the faculty. I enjoy being at this school because they are there as well.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Jade

Book Ends
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I love the fact that we have a definite beginning and ending, book ends, to our year. Every Septemeber is a fresh, new beginning. I know that if something doesn't go like I wish it had, in one year's time I will be able to do it again and better. And if something goes well, I am excited to repeat it another year. But if something really tanks, I never have to do it ever again!!
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

Carol1

Old 02-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Each and every day is different and unique. Different situations and things happen in your classroom occur that you cannot predict!
A sick child, a funny story, a drawing etc. Teaching is unpredictable!
Things that happen that are not on your lesson plan. You go with the flow of the classroom environment daily!
Carol1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ForeverMom

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I love going into school where it feels like a second family. The community we have between our staff is wonderful. I know my teammates have my back.

It is bittersweet because we are 99% sure our building will be closed at the end of the year.
ForeverMom is offline   Reply With Quote

t_ster1

I Love...
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

teaching because I have a chance to be creative making games and activities to enhance my lessons. I also love this community of teachers that are so willing to share when I'm feeling stuck!!
t_ster1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ceceteaches

I Love....
Old 02-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

when I'm actually helping a child to understand something they never knew before! Such a joy to see the "light bulb" come on! And I love doing visuals on my magnetic board; and explaining things to them.
Thank you!
ceceteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Love For Teaching
Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

What I love about teaching is coming up with new ways to teach a concept and then watching the children learn it! I get goosebumps when I hear children discussing a topic they've just learned. It can be anything from fractions to the state flag! It is the most awesome experience and I get to experience it everyday!! How lucky am I?
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

spud93

Creative outlet
Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I enjoy making bulletin boards and decorating my classroom in fun themes. We are doing a Wild About Reading theme right now at our school. I have created bulletin board size animals and the words Wild About Reading to hang in the big windows above the entrance to our school. We are making one hallway into a jungle with trees, vines and animals. I can't wait to see the kids reaction to the "jungle".
spud93 is offline   Reply With Quote

wadswob

Celebrity Hellos!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I do enjoy being recognized by students of my school away from campus!! You get the BIGGEST hellos and toothy smiles when they see you. It's my mini celebrity moment!
wadswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Seaglass1212

Staying Young
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I work with the preschool population and everyday I get to play!
I play house and trains. I build with blocks and Legos. I put puzzles together and read Dr Suess. I have snack and recess. I have fun!
At the end of the day I go home happy knowing that I am helping create memories that will last forever.
Seaglass1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Leenie A.

Kids Say the Darndest Things
Old 02-13-2014, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I teach sixth grade LA, and this cute little boy, Jeremy is so disorganized. He can never find anything, his desk is a mess, and he leaves things out all over the place, including on the floor. So, one recent morning I asked if someone who considers themselves to be very organized would volunteer to help me put some papers in folders during their lunch. Several students eagerly raised their hands offering their assistance, including Jeremy. With amusement, I said, "Jeremy! What? You are NOT organized!" In which he responded most sincerely, "Yes, I am! I'm really organized; I just have a hard time keeping it that way!" All I could do was laugh and tell Jeremy how much I loved him! I totally knew what Jeremy meant - because he described exactly how I feel about myself - lol!!
Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

A few of my favorite things...
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

~Reading aloud. I remember the first time I read aloud to a group of young children. I felt such a sense of purpose and belonging. I was in my element. I am passionate about children's literature and I've had children refer to the authors we study as Miss ______'s "friend."

~Providing services for children with special needs. I teach in a private school and over the years our local ISD specialist teams refer children to my program. They know I will do whatever it takes to help children be successful in the classroom and meet their IEP objectives. Inclusion is so critical and I love to be a witness to the compassion that blossoms in a caring classroom community.

~I like to be crafty! As an early childhood educator I know the importance of open-ended art and never providing samples for children to copy. However, whenever I can make a cute label, create fun nametags for class parties or discover a new font I am in creative heaven!
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Creating moments
Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I love creating special moments in my classroom that make my students smile and really learn something. I love getting that new idea and then the energy and enthusiasm I get that comes with putting it into action.
happygirl444 is online now   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Variety is the Spice of Life
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I love teaching because it offers variety. Each year brings new challenges of getting to know and meeting the needs of each student; each season/chapter/unit offers variety in teaching lessons in a new, creative way; and each day brings its own variety--picture day, hearing testing day, fire drills! There is never a dull moment. Love it!
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I love getting to act like a kid! Our PE and Music teachers combined classes for a dance unit. When we went down to pick them up, my co-teacher and I joined them on the Virginia Reel. Most fun I had all week!
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I love the creativity. As long as I cover the curriculum, I'm free to teach it how I want.

I love that I'm rarely bored. In 24 years of teaching, there have been two times that I thought "It must be close to recess" and it was 9:10. (Recess is at 10:30, we start school at 9:00)

I love seeing the metaphoric light bulb go on and know that I'm the one who caused that.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

SDNana

What I love about teaching...
Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I love the challenge (and rewards) of working with struggling readers.
SDNana is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Love, love, love
Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

"You do that in your classroom? Can I stop in and watch?" I love mentoring and working with other teachers. It's a great honor really, when another professional sees something that I do as valuable to them and their career. Learning from each other is something that I love about teaching
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Building Relationships
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

The best thing about teaching is the relationship that are built not only with students, but with parents as well. I really enjoy seeing students grow and watching what they become as they get older. I enjoy it when they come back just to say Hello, and parents who have a kind word to say when they meet you in the hallways or out and about.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

I Love Learning
Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I always loved going to school and learning. Teaching allows me to continue to do both. Every year I think that I learn more than many of my students. I love searching and trying to learn new ways to make learning meaningful and fun for my students. My growth in technology has definitely developed because of this desire. My students teach me so many ways to become a better learner, teacher, and person.
My dream is that they will also love going to school and learning enough that they will always want to continue learning as adults. I hope that they will develop a positive attitude about learning that will extend to future generations.
**I also tell my students that I got in trouble for talking sometimes in school. I tell them that that's why I became a teacher. I can now talk in school without getting into trouble.
StoneSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

laughter
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

With a room full of ten year olds...there is laughter in every single day!
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

I love teaching!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

I love far too much to list, but here's something that came to mind recently. Because I teach students with special needs, I spend time teaching them how to advocate for what they need in class. A couple of times in the last week colleagues have come to me & told me how impressed they were that my students are making progress with this. One used to tell a teacher, "Ms. Beachygrl says I should ask you about..." & now says, "It would help me if you could..." That ownership is HUGE for my students! Another colleague told me that a student, who I taught for 2 years & is now at the school we feed into, spoke proactively at her IEP meeting the other day, stating specifically what she needed. These kids make me so proud!
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 02-14-2014, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

I love that my job never becomes stale because every year I get to start fresh with new decor, new kids, and new ways of teaching.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Messy stuff!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

I work in a Kindergarten classroom -- I love it when there is time to do some messy art and science! I love to get messy and have fun!
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Great thread!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Of the many little things I love, one that stands out is the amount of love and laughter present in my school every day: staff, students, visitors, we usually manage to find a great deal of pleasure in being together for learning.
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

I love my job because
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

As an ESOL teacher, I get to meet parents who come from many other parts of the world who come to our community to start a new life. It's so interesting!
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

Shash821

I love...
Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

that feeling, albeit momentary and fleeting, that my students are working independently, that gives me a moment to organize something else. Whether it be organizing papers, or supplies, or even making a quick entry in my grade book, those precious few moments allow the next few moments to run more smoothly.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Shash821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Survivor 6th

Survivor 6th

Old 02-14-2014, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

I love teaching because I can actually get paid for doing something I love, it still amazes me. I love the smell of the books, the family atmosphere, and my cozy classroom.

powellstarkey

What I love
Old 02-14-2014, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

I love researching new ideas to use in the classroom I also love sharing ideas with other teachers.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Love of teaching
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

I love teaching because every day - even every class- is an adventure! You never know what will happen in middle school!

I also love when my former students come to visit and tell me I prepared them well.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

choosejoy

Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

I love that everyday challenges me in some way. I love that I learn something new everyday. I love the feeling of a second home in my classroom. I love all the things third graders do to make me laugh.
choosejoy is offline   Reply With Quote

flatrockrosie

Why I love teaching
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

That thrill of seeing students walk into the classroom every morning knowing that each has that chance of the lightbulb experience. I also love working with my colleagues and especially when things get tough. We all support each other and figure out how to make things easier and reach those students as best we can.
flatrockrosie is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

I love the BOOKS; I have an excuse to surround myself with picture books. Doing read alouds is my favorite part of the day.

I love watching children take a story and turn it into a drama they play out. I love hearing them make connections between stories they've read as well as make connections to their own experiences. Yesterday the read aloud had a lady solving a valentine mystery. During centers, the children used the magnifying glasses to "solve" the mystery of the hidden words on the reading mats in the word work center. It was so funny to hear them talk about being detectives.

I love teaching children how language can convey different meanings--jokes, riddles, turns of phrases. Even rather young children have picked up on the idea and used it back.

I love turning a question into an exploration.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

Variety. I love getting to do something different all the time. It's never the same lesson twice, and if you do get bored with it, you can change it.

Reading. "Previewing the class library" is an excellent excuse to read YA & children's fiction and picture books. Sharing books with students is awesome.

Coworkers. I've been blessed to have wonderful coworkers at every school I've taught at. No backstabbing or cliques or gossip. Just support, camaraderie, and collaboration.

Learning. I also learn something new about every subject all year long every year.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

I have always been amazed how much teaching has led me to be even more of a learner! I have learned sooo much since becoming a teacher. Also, I love the opportunity to be creative in my lesson presentations, activities, and room decorating. The kids love it, too!
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

I have always loved the challenge and the variety of the job! No two days are really the same, and you can make teaching as boring or as interesting as you like.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Fun activities
Old 02-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

I love designing fun lessons/units/activities for the kids! I love seeing all the creative ways someone can teach something and sharing ideas with other teachers!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #77

I love being able to buy huge quantities of kids' books without people thinking I'm insane!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

The Love of Teaching
Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #78

I love discovering new books to read aloud to my students that I know they will enjoy hearing.

I love finding new books and stories that I know my students will enjoy reading themselves.

I love planning! It is a creative process that I enjoy.

I love sharing poetry with my students that makes connections with other subject areas like math, science and social studies.

I like planning class parties where my students will have fun.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #79

I love reading aloud to kids and love story-telling! Some of my favorite words are "Can you read it again?" Or "Can we keep reading _____? I want to know what happens next!"

I love getting a new start each year, getting to change things and fix last year's mistakes.

I love how kids take what you teach and apply. This year, my first graders played "Mayflower" on the playground every day the whole month of November!

I love teaching my kids life lessons, things far more important than reading and math. I want them to leave my class knowing more of truth and I am so blessed to teach them!
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Results
Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #80

I love working with the low group of students. Having them struggle and then all of a sudden, the look on their faces when they finally get it.

I love the end results of a big project-hate the figuring out how to do it, the explaining of it, the prep for it, but love end the result. I love how the kids talk about how much fun it was to learn.

School supplies-I have always loved school supplies and the cutsey stuff. I love receiving the "World's Greatest Teacher" stuff.

Kids coming back to tell them you made an impact on their lives.

Shopping, I love to shop. I love to buy my students presents-pencils for the holidays, erasers, etc..

I have a legitimate reason to buy a million books. I have discovered so many great books/authors that I wouldn't have considered before teaching.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

I love blowing things up!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #81

Seriously, there is almost no other profession where you can blow things up and NOT have the police knock on your door. We blow up alka seltzer and water in film cannisters (flight). We blow up vinnegar and baking soda (volcanoes) and once we accidentally exploded sugar and water all over the floor on open house night (a sugar crystal experiment gone horribly wrong...I owed the janitor A LOT of chocolate for that one ).

I seriously think I have more fun in science than the kids do. Hmm...we haven't blown anything up yet this year. I better do something about that.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

School supplies and starting new
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #82

I love buying school supplies, and starting new every Sept. My other favorite thing about teaching is my daily read alouds😊 I REALLY get into my characters when I read to my 6th graders. This is not how I behave in adult setting!
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

jbkz

books and friends
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #83

I love reading Children's Books! I love buying new books from the authors I love. I love sharing favorite books with my kiddos. AND, I love my teacher friends! They are the best!!!!
jbkz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzanne

Wow!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #84

Wow... I love all of these responses. They were so great to read. I really think I need to print them and post them in our faculty room to remind us all of the other "perks" of our job besides the kids. (I love the kids, too!).

For me, I love the power I have. I have the power to create an awesome day for my class. I can decorate/design my room any way I choose and not have to get my dear husband's approval. I have the power to positively influence children and parents.

Oh, and I adore office supplies.... I LOVE tape, staples, markers, paper clips, post it, labels.... LOVE THEM!

Suzanne
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #85

I love the flow of the day. From the minute school starts we are busy, moving, working, etc. I would not do well in a job with a lot of down time or repetitive activities because I think I would get bored to easily. I love how the day flows and moves. I'm always amazed that 8 hours have gone by at the end of the day because it never feels like it.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMickeyMous

Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #86

I love making my own teaching resources and I love collaborating with other teachers. I also love learning and researching for the units I'm going to teach.
LuvMickeyMous is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

one thing
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #87

of course there are many things i love, but one is...

i have an extensive background in theater. i love teaching because it allows me to act on my own stage every day!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

the smell of new school supplies,
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #88

*the student look as they walk into the classroom for the first time
*the 20 little Teacher Valentine Day cards you get because they come in the box with the others (haha)
*the hug from the student that sees you are having a bad day
*being able to teach my way after the state assessments
*the excitement of a three day weekend, Christmas break, SNOW DAYS, spring break and of course summer!!!
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

teach100

Office supplies
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #89

I have always loved markers, colored pens, staplers, binders, sticky notes all office supplies!
teach100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #90

I see I'm not alone when I say I love school supplies!

I also love organizing the room. I love moving desks around and setting everybody up in unique ways. And I actually enjoy doing bulletin boards! If only I had more time I'd have the world's greatest bulletin boards.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-15-2014, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #91

I love that it keeps my brain active! I'm constantly surrounded by interesting coworkers who love learning as much as I do, and when I sub older grades, I enjoy the mini refresher course on things I used to know, but haven't used in a while.

The schedule. I love the balance of working during the year, and being a stay-at-home-mom in the summer. It gives my son the best of both worlds - a chance to be independent and the time to do do things with me.

Reading aloud! I think if I wasn't a teacher, I'd have to volunteer at the library. I absolutely love reading to classes, and talking to individual students about what they're reading as well.

I agree with school supplies, too. I love getting organized for a new year.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

What I love
Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #92

I love when the unexpected happens (like a snow day or two). I also love that I can be creative in planning as long as I stick to the curriculum.
MACMama is online now   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Things I Love...
Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #93

I love that "lightbulb moment" when a child grasps a concept. I also love my co-workers and the family atmosphere of our small school.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

goldilicious

I ❤️ teaching because...
Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #94

Everyday is new. You never know what is going to happen, and it is always interesting!
goldilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

OmahaTeacher

Things I love about teaching...
Old 02-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #95

There are many things I love, but I will list my top 3 reasons.

1) Being able to have a fresh start every August. No matter how bad a year is, I get to start over again in the fall.

2) Watching kids get excited about learning and planning the activities that help them feel that way.

3) Seeing what happens to my former students. I absolutely love it when they come back to visit me and tell me what great things they're doing in high school or college.
OmahaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

what I love about teaching
Old 02-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #96

As a Special Education teacher, I love the challenge of creating materials and lessons for each of my students. This includes the challenge of altering the lessons/materials along the way.

Another thing I love is connecting with families and making them feel welcome and a part of our school. I want my parents to feel comfortable enough to call me with concerns or questions any time.

A frivolous thing, , but I love buying new school supplies and books, materials, décor for my classroom. I do this with my students in mind, as I try to create a happy, pretty, welcoming classroom .
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 02-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #97

Sounds silly to say, but I love school supplies. Highlighters, colored pens, post its... You name it.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I love
Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #98

I love saying good morning to my students every morning as they come into the room. I teach first grade, and they are always excited to tell me what they done since I last saw them.

I love the notes and pictures my kids bring to me every day, telling me what a good "tether" I am.

I love figuring out the different personalities of each new class, and tailoring my classroom environment to best fit the personality of the class. So cool.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

Thank You to PT
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #99

I want to take a minute to say thank you to the editors for this thread. I have loved reading all of these. Each one has shown me another reason why I LOVE teaching and why I continue to do it.
StoneSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

The Feeling
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #100

I love the feeling I get when the day is going great! All my lessons are flowing together and everyone seems to be getting it. Everything just falls into it's place.

I also love my coworkers! They are a great bunch of people to work with.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peachyteacher

I love teaching because....
Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #101

I love teaching firsties how to read.

I love seeing the growth that happens.

I love the fast pace of the day.

I just love children.
Peachyteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

I love teaching because
Old 02-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #102

this is my second profession. My first profession wasn't as rewarding. Teaching is definitely a calling. It is something that comes from my heart.

I love teaching because each day is a new adventure. When I walk through the doors, I never know what the students will say or do. I never know challenge I will be faced with from an administrator, another teacher, a parent, a student, or a critter that may be running around my room.

I love teaching because there are times I learn right along with my students. It could be something academically, it could be something sports related, or it could be something new on social media, etc.

I love teaching because I have the best job in the world. I am able to touch many lives and hope to make a difference in the lives of many but know it will only be a few.

I love teaching because students come back and visit. They recall all of the funny and special times they had in my class.

I love teaching because at the end of the school year, when they go on to the next grade, I've made new friends - students and parents. They are wonderful people.
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #103

I enjoy "acting". I like the opportunity to use my stage side to make a lesson come alive and exciting and easier for the kids to understand.

I enjoy reading a book to them and becoming the characters and see the eyes of the kids get wide and the emotion on their faces.

I enjoy researching to make my lessons better.

My special ed teaching years are still with me. I also enjoy learning more about how to help my students who has learning difficulties, emotional problems, or rough home lives. This includes working closely with the Special ed department.
HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #104

Data. True! I love collecting and comparing data to see how the kids have grown and where the weaknesses are.

One year I sat in the office for hours looking over standardized test scores for my former second graders who were then in fifth grade.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsteach

I Love Teaching
Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #105

I love when students in higher grades stop me in the hall to say that a teacher was talking about a topic and they had something to contribute because they had learned it in my class.

And I love school supplies.
mrsteach is offline   Reply With Quote

timespent

I love teaching...
Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #106

because of my co-workers, my administration and my parents. I teach in a private school and just recently lost my first grandchild to a congenital heart defect. He was only 10 weeks old. The love and support I received from everyone during this extremely difficult time was completely overwhelming. I love my job. I love every aspect of it....planning, teaching, being able to be as silly as the kids are (I teach pre-K) and the absolute joy of those a-ha moments when something clicks with one of my kids. Mostly I love it because I am so blessed to work with such amazing people and work with children whose parents are highly engaged in their children's education and value me as their teacher.
timespent is offline   Reply With Quote

missvicki77

I love teaching....
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #107

because I being creative! I'm able to do this in the classroom without too many people giving me a hard time.... If only I could move down just a grade more, then my craftiness would be even MORE acceptable!
missvicki77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Leftytoo2

those magical moments
Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #108

I just posted this on the middle school board, but those moments when your students just "get it." That is what I live for. They don't seem to happen often enough, but it's when they get excited about something that you've been trying to teach them.

For me recently it was a revision lesson, and they got so excited about it because they caught the vision of it and they had fun doing it AND applied it the next day in their own writing groups! I've been walking on air ever since, and just feeling so much joy for teaching again. At least for a little while... :-)
Leftytoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Why I Love Teaching
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #109

Well, June, July, and August of course! I also teach because of the amazing pay!
JUST KIDDING! Had to throw those in there, though, because they are the most annoying things that people who don't teach say to you!
Why I really love teaching would be books, books, and more books. I love sharing the love of books and reading with my students.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

simplymetoo

What I love about teaching
Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #110

I love that teaching gives me a reason to buy school supplies. Now that my children are grown, teaching gives me a reason to go to back to school sales.

I love that teaching gives me personal access to a librarian.

I also love that I get to use my creativity in decorating my classroom, the hallway and designing lessons.
simplymetoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Number 24

Number 24
Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #111

I love to see "the light" come on when they finally understand. I love when their eyes light up when we read a book together. I love involved parents.
Number 24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Teaching
Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #112

I LOVE the first day of school! My room is neat and clean. There are new name tags, fresh crayons, sharpened pencils. The kids come in excited and nervous. They have on their new outfits, new backpacks, new lunch boxes. They are ready to learn and I am ready to teach them.

I LOVE teaching struggling students and helping them realize they ARE learners too!
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ihokeypokey

Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #113

I love the students very much. The interaction among us is increadible. The feedback is so different from one another I'm learning from them all the time. They are wonderful!!

ihokeypokey is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

New job every year
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #114

Being ADD and very easily bored, I love that teaching is a new job every year. New kids offer new challenges, changes in society and culture create new things to teach/learn, and new technologies offer new ways to communicate, collaborate and create....oh, and I get to color!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Just saw this one today!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #115

I love when you and the kids are "in the zone," you know, when you hear that nealy audible "click." The sound/look that means they are on the same wavelength with you. They "see" what you are trying to teach them and can make the next leap in their minds. They make a mental connection to the new idea/concept/fact/step and are ready to run with it.
I love how they tell you something insightful spontaneously and simply better than you could have put it yourself.
I love how we teacher help each other even when we do not always have the same outlook about things or even the same teaching styles.
I love how we will take on a child's life needs and find ways to help with those even when they are not "part of our jobs."
There is more, but that is what came to mind tonight.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote