Cafeteria Behavior Management Ideas - ProTeacher Community

fiona1

Cafeteria Behavior Management Ideas
Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I'm hoping all of you clever teachers can help me with behavior mangement ehn on lunch duty. Each member of my team (Grade 3) has lunch duty once a week. We have discussed rules etc.. but I tend to be the stricter one, others feel the kids need this time to be social (I do too, but not yelling and fooling around). This inconsistency is not working fro me or the kids, I suspect .We have approx. 100 students in the cafe and I just dread another year of Lunch duty. How do you decide if it is too loud etc..? What are your consequences /rewards etc.. Thanks for any and all advice tha may yield a more peaceful year!

fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

traci.k

this is a tough one
Old 07-29-2007, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

especially if you are not always on the same page w/your team. I don't have to tell you that consistency is the key!! Your team has to agree on a few rules for everyone's sanity and then stick to them!! Our basic rules are that the kids MUST be quiet in the line getting food and then they can talk at their table. Also, the last 5 minutes must also be quiet so that getting cleaned up and out of there goes smoothly. We practice with them (and I teach 3rd) about which way to walk and how to line up and keep the flow of traffic moving. We're pretty laid back as to the talking once they sit down w/their food, but if it seems too loud we raise our hand to get their attention (and the kids see that and raise their hand) and ask them to turn it down a little. We do have a lonely lunch table if someone just isn't following the rules or we might just move them somewhere else at their table. They have to stay seated the whole time. Basically, whatever rules you guys came up w/ needs to be reinforced. It's one of those situations where your team can do whatever they want to in their classroom, but in the cafeteria you guys need to all enforce your procedures/rules. Good luck!!
traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. O

Clothespins
Old 07-29-2007, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When they enter the cafeteria they have to be silent for until everyone gets through the line and seated. Then they may visit quietly until it is time to clean up then it is back to silence. Every child gets a clothespin to wear on their collar, if they break a rule the duty teacher will take the clip. When a clip is taken the child has to owe 5 minutes of recess. We also keep a tally of classes where no one lost their clip, and after 10 tallies that class will get a few minutes extra recess or another treat that their teacher decides.

I am not sure how managable this would be for larger groups. We have about 50 children at a time and they sit according to their class.
Mrs. O is offline   Reply With Quote

imau2u

Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked at a school where lunch behavior was a problem. Outside was a display that looked like place mats. If they earned a 4 the rec'd a Golden Fork. At the end of a given time the class that had the most golden forks earned a reward of some sort. Usually, when the class I worked with won, they rec'd extra recess and a snacks of some sort.
imau2u is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher609

Plastic cups on tables
Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At our school each table has two plastic cups turned upside down and stacked. One is yellow, the other is red. During the first 10 minutes of lunch the red cup is on top, which means everyone is silent and eating. After that the student lunch helpers/table washers for each class change the cups for their class to yellow. At that time everyone can talk quietly to the kids at their table until it's time to leave. It worked pretty well for most classes, and the consistency was school-wide.

teacher609 is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all of your suggestions- I am going to suggest the table for those who aren't following the rules and the cups on the table is very visual and manageable. Again,thanks!!
Fiona
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote