Help

ARCHIVE

Want to do individualized spelling

>

lizf38

Want to do individualized spelling
Old 07-29-2007, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am waiting to see which grade I will be teaching (possibly 3rd, 4th, or 5th) and have been considering doing individualized spelling. I love the idea, but I'm not sure where to begin. We use Scholastic's Literacy Place which is suppose to be the reading, grammar, spelling, and writing all rolled together. When I did 2nd there were only 8 words each week for the kids. I added 7 more with the same pattern to make 15 and then 5 words from the story. Some of the kids were required to do all 20 words and others only had to do the 15 with the option of doing all 20. I want to be more individualized than that next year, but I'm not sure where to start. Plus, I know I won't have an aide and I don't know what my coworkers will want to do as far as spelling. Also, I don't like the idea of the kids giving out spelling tests to each other and I don't know about parents coming in and giving tests.

lizf38 is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

spelling
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Spelling --- we give core words no practice on Monday. Words they miss go on their list for Friday plus words they miss on writing assignments and sight words and etc. They each have their own list of words. Individual spelling. We have excellent spellers placing in the top five at our county spelling bee. On Friday teacher says the first students name and word one, student two and their first word, student 3 and their first word. Around the room back to student one say their name and word 2 and etc. NO TALKING... We do this first, second, 3rd and 4th.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

indiv sp
Old 07-29-2007, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A few teachers in my school do this, but they follow Fountes and Pinnel spelling buddies and students do give each other the tests. With proper training it works well.

They use a phonetic pattern for some of their words and Rebecca Sitton's words for the rest (research based most frequently used words). The phonics pattern can be the same for all or differentiated ie cat, bat, fat etc vs. chat, splat, scratch.
We test each child on the Sitton list at the beginning of the year and use words that they need practice with for their individual spelling lists. Also, some may be chisen from their writing.

Good Luck!
teach & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

spelling
Old 07-29-2007, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've become more interested in this since I found out I'll be the inclusion class this year (first year we've tried this). I'll have all the 3rd grade sped kids in my class, along with gifted and regular ed. kids. No doubt I'll have a wide range of spelling abilities!

Hescollin, how long does it take you to give a spelling test? It seems like it would be very time consuming. How many words are on their list on Friday? With about 20 kids (not sure yet), that's an awful lot of words to call out.

Teach & Learn, how do students test each other? They pair up and read out the words to the other person?
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

Individualized Spelling
Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use Words Their Way. It has a diagnostic test to do grouping on the specific patterns and language concepts the children need to work on. This program is researched based and very thorough. I make three groups. To properly teach the concepts each week takes time and I couldn't do all three myself in an efficient manner so one group is taught on Mondays by the Sp.Ed or Title 1 teacher. This program has students sorting words by types, focuses on word study and analysis. On Fridays, I have partners from groups test each other. This takes about twenty minutes, the same amount of time as a teacher-led test. Students are tested again in December/January, new groups made. They are tested again in June to again show progress. Great data and information to drive instruction. I used the main text book as my guide and for words along with the accompanying CD, creating a binder divided into sections by the groups. However, this summer, I purchased th individual books by type to make life a little easier for me and the Sp.Ed teacher. My binder will be for addtional or enrichment lessons.Pearson is the publisher.

fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Individualized Spelling
Old 07-29-2007, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Dear Lizf38,

I tried individualized spelling with second graders. We drew most of their words from their writing (misspelled words). I also assigned some of the Sitton's words. Each student had a different spelling list, so I had them do buddy tests. If they missed a word on a test, it was carried over to the next week's list. The more challenged students had fewer words. The more capable, by choice, addressed a longer list. I used generic learning activities that applied no matter what words were on each list.

I think this method was outstanding, however, second graders were a bit too young to really respond to this effectively. It was often difficult for the buddy to call out (read) the spelling list, so s/he would become frustrated. I think the groups you mentioned would respond well to this.

I hope this helps.

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

twopetes

Questions
Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a few questions. What do you use to assess them at the beginning of the year & how long does that take? Where can I find a copy of this Sitton's list? How do you group the kids for partners? Do you group similar levels together? Is it the same partner all year? What do you do if their partner is absent? Do they grade them as well? How many words do you give them? I think this could work with 3rd grade, especially if you had them practice, practice, practice. I think it is just like any other procedure, it will just take extra effort to implement it. This year I plan on stepping back a little & letting the kids lead each other on their path to learning. I am going to be the faciliator.
twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Answering Your Questions
Old 07-29-2007, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've responded to each of your questions:

"What do you use to assess them at the beginning of the year & how long does that take? "
I use a diagnostic test of 20 words just to see what I am dealing with. (20 minutes). Since I use their writing as a source for the word list, the diagnostic test is just for my information.

"Where can I find a copy of this Sitton's list?" http://www.sittonspelling.com/
http://estabrook.lexingtonma.org/Cur...on/Sitton.html
http://estabrook.lexingtonma.org/Cur.../Wordbank.html

"How do you group the kids for partners?"
Pretty much the same way you would group for any other activity. You use your own professional judgment based on the needs of each child and her/his compatibility with another student.

"Do you group similar levels together?"
Not always.

"Is it the same partner all year?"
No

"What do you do if their partner is absent?"
I'd give the test.

"Do they grade them as well?"
No. I'd do it in quick 2 minute conferences with each child.

"How many words do you give them?
It depended upon the child. (See my original post.)

I hope this helps.

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

words their way
Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also used Words Thier Way. I liked this but as the previous poster stated it was a lot of time consuming work and it was very hard to reach all groups in a timely manner. I had a parent volunteer come in on Mondays to take a group and introduce words and give them the practice lesson I planned and made (usually a word sort or game from the accompanying Cd). I took the other two groups and introduced thier words and gave them a word sort to do. There are generic center activities they can do during literacy time as well.

To place them into groups I used the diagnostic test from the manual and retested them halfway thru the year and then the groups changed a little. I did let the kids do the buddy tests. At first this takes forever,but train them and they will learn.

This was a lot of work to do spelling this way, just make sure you're up for giving yourself more work...it is worth it for the kids. I saw some amazing progress in their everyday spelling/writing due to WTW.

Last edited by TeacherBB; 07-29-2007 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: added info

hescollin

time
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It does take a bit more time, but the end results are worth the extra time.

hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Debbie

Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do individualized spelling with 2nd graders and I love it. It took a little time to set up, but now it's in place, it's not a problem.
On Monday morning, we have a large spelling pre test. It's about 70 words!! You'll get a feel for your class's level and be able to determine whether you need more or less to get the required number you like for your tests. I choose 12 words with 3 bonus ( the bonus words are the same for everyone.) To make the pretest keys, I took the spelling words that would have been in our book as the first words then got more 1st week spelling words online and from different schools and added some of them. I then added some 3rd grade adn 4th-- and discovered my school is pretty smart and needed 5th and 6th.
After taking pretest, I grade until each misses 12 words. Give back to students and they copy their words on a sheet that will eventually be cut in strips to hold a list for their folders, a list to keep at home and a list for me to have. I have the parents check to see if they have copied it correctly on MOnday evening.
Then on Friday, each has a spelling partner and they give each other their tests. It takes a few weeks, and you have to teach them how to not show the words to the other,etc. But it works great. Il love it
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

BeccaSuze1231

Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Not sure yet what I'll do this year with regards to spelling.

Last year, I gave a pre-test using the Literacy Place words. I had 3 lists that I made with other words that fit with the spelling pattern. One was the pre-test list, one was a little bit more challenging-like beginning blends, and the third list was for my higher students- word endings, tricky spellings, or compound words. Students who got the pre-test all correct got the 3rd list, students who missed more than half got the 1st list. I filled the rest of the spelling words with words from their journals or writing projects (or for those on the 2nd list, words that they missed from the pre-test)

I had a parent volunteer give the tests. Another thing I've heard teachers do (which sounds kind of fun!) is to record yourself giving the test on a cassette tape and each student goes to the listening center to take the test. Instruct them to listen to the word and sentence, press stop if needed, and then press play to continue. While you read on tape, when you finish giving one test say, "After you press stop, please go tap Lucas and tell him to come for his spelling test."
BeccaSuze1231 is offline   Reply With Quote