ARCHIVE

Calendar Math For third grade

>

allithird

Calendar Math For third grade
Old 07-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
Could anyone please give me some specific instructions for using Calendar Math in third grade?
Thank you

allithird is offline   Reply With Quote

rth

rth

Calendar Math
Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I will be updating my second grade calendar math procedure to use when I move to third grade this year.

We have a series of charts on the math board that we complete each day to review math skills. Often, but not always they relate to the calendar date.

The student of the day completes the charts as we discuss them together.

DATE: What is the date? What will the date be in a week? What day of the week will it be on the 20th?

DAYS IN SCHOOL: How many days have we been in school? How many days are left in the schoolyear. We have two counting charts - one from 1 - 100 and one from 101 - 200. We use 2 different special marker to count down the days left in school and count up the days that have passed in the schoolyear.

LESS THAN/ GREATER THAN - One number is provided in each inequality. The student provides the other number.
291> ____ 642< _____

ODD or EVEN? 432 is _________

MONEY Count the money. (Magnetic coins& bills are on the board.) Write the amount.

MEASURING. A line is drawn on the chart. Students measure & record the length in inches or centimeters.

PATTERN: Continue the pattern. Geometric or numerical patterns are written on a sentence strip. The student extends the pattern. If it is a numeric pattern, they also state the rule.

FRACTION: Name the fraction. Pattern block stickers are used to make many whole shaped divided into fractional parts. Student write the fractions that correspond to the parts.

TIME. A clock is set to a particular time. Student tells the time in at least two ways. Also used for elasped time. Student tells what time it will be in 20 minutes, for example.

WAYS TO MAKE. A number of the day is written on the chart. Students use any operation or combination of operations to write as many number sentences as possible that equal the number of the day.

I'd like to add a chart for DATA/GRAPHING and one for PLACE VALUE, too.

allithird

Great ideas rth
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you rth for the great ideas for calendar math. I would love to see any of the other ideas you have for third grade too.

snowpoppy2

calendar math idea
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This may be the same thing as the previous post, however when I do calendar math later on in the year, I make the kids tell me the multiples that go into that day of school. As we count the days of school we use all the things(number sentence, odd, even, greater than..etc) like the previous post, however I like to have them practice their multiples as soon as they learn multiplication and then even into division!
snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Calendar math
Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is what I do. We discussed this on another thread...I will look for it later and repost.

In the explanation I posted, I have already updated for 4th grade (I am switching this year), but I basically did the same thing (minus the number lines and fractions).

Attached Files
File Type: doc Calendar Math Explanation.doc (25.5 KB, 2778 views)
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

missa_g

StephR
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You really explain your procedures very well!! Obviously, a lot of these concepts will be added to the calendar as the year progresses, so my question is: How do you start off your calendar before a lot of these concepts are mastered? Also, you have students work on everything before getting together to discuss...do you have them write everything down in a notebook? How long does it take you to get into a good routine with your calendar program?

I am teaching 3rd for the first time this year and have zero experience with calendar math but I can see how beneficial it will be and would love to implement it!

One more question: Do you happen to have a picture of your whole set up? What kinds of supplies are must haves right off the bat? I am trying to envision this!

Thanks!
missa_g is offline   Reply With Quote

allithird

Fantastic Steph R
Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is so much great information. Missa_g brings up some great questions that I would like to hear the answers to as well. Thank you for your help.

StephR

Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks! I will try to answer the questions the best I can

Obviously, a lot of these concepts will be added to the calendar as the year progresses, so my question is: How do you start off your calendar before a lot of these concepts are mastered?
The first week of school is spent teaching the calendar procedures and showing them exactly what I want them to do. I begin the year with odd/even and how many ways? Those two can be done by the kids on day one. I model the expectations and the "how to" using those two parts. The first week I also introduce Today's Arrays and Patterns. The second week, I introduce the big number, expanded/word/standard form, prime/composite, place value, etc. By the end of the second week, all of the components of the calendar have been introduced and are being done on a daily basis. I do not wait until I have done a formal lesson on them. I use the calendar AS MY LESSON! They WILL NOT understand how to do it at first. You will be basically feeding them the answers the first few weeks. But they WILL catch on. You just have to believe in it! They will be doing it every single day. Not everyone will get it at the same time, but by the end of the year, they ALL will have mastered ALL of the standards and concepts on the calendar.

Also, you have students work on everything before getting together to discuss...do you have them write everything down in a notebook?
I have a form they have to fill out (I will attach) I used to have them do it in a journal, to avoid copies, but I found that it wasn't as affective as me collecting the forms and holding them accountable. I give them 5 forms on Monday (stapled together...I usually do two of them back to back to save paper) I then collect the entire packet on Friday. I use that as a work habits grade. (as they are not allowed to be filling it out while we are going over the calendar together)

How long does it take you to get into a good routine with your calendar program?
I would say that it is a good month before I am super comfortable that ALL the students know EXACTLY what to do. But from week one, most of the kids kinda sorta know what to do, KWIM? By mid year, I have my students (yes 3rd graders!!) leading the calendar themselves. I only hop in when I feel that they aren't quite explaining it correctly or illiciting deep answers (ie: on odd/even, they are just accepting "5 is odd because it is after an even number" instead of "5 is odd because you can not divide it by 2 without getting a remainder")

I am teaching 3rd for the first time this year and have zero experience with calendar math but I can see how beneficial it will be and would love to implement it!
I can honestly say that this is the most rewarding and fulfilling part of my math instruction. If I could just do one thing in math all year, I would teach calendar. It hit SO many vital standards in such a short time period. You can also tailor it to your state standards. (ie: if you teach money in 3rd, you can have them tell you which combination of coins make up the day...or if you change grades, up or down, or have a gifted or remedial class, you can change it as well to accomodate those new expecations, making it as challenging or easy as needed)

One more question: Do you happen to have a picture of your whole set up?
I do have a pic somewhere...I will have to dig through the garage to find it. When I do, I will post!!
Basically, I have a calendar. Surrounding it, I have laminated pieces of paper for each section (we use thinking maps...so I have those created and blank...if you use TMs I can give you a better explanation...just let me know)

What kinds of supplies are must haves right off the bat?
I have vis-a-vie markers (to write on the laminated papers), calendar pieces, flats/rods/units (for the days of the school year), and calendar packets for each kid. That is it (at least that is all I can think of at the moment!)

Again, in the beginning of the year, you will feel as if you are spoon feeding them the answers, like you are doing all the work. But as the year progresses, the kids will become more comfortable with it and will eventually begin giving you the answers. Just believe in it!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc calendar.doc (23.0 KB, 2410 views)

missa_g

Thank You!!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you so much for your GREAT explanations. I feel much more confident now with it all explained so well. We do use thinking maps and my administration would probably LOVE to see thinking maps surrounding the calendar...so any explanation with those would be great! I am sorry for all of the questions, but this has been a great start for me!!!!

tchrrx

Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for the ideas! I really think this is going to help me a lot!

Do you have a 100 chart on the calendar wall? I have one hanging, but I would like to replace it with some of your other ideas. Is there a reason I should keep it up though? (It just seems like one of those things that are needed...but I'm not sure why!)

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Do you have a 100 chart on the calendar wall? I have one hanging, but I would like to replace it with some of your other ideas. Is there a reason I should keep it up though? (It just seems like one of those things that are needed...but I'm not sure why!)
Personally, I do not have a hundreds chart. I don't use it or refernce it, so it just becomes decoration for me. Some people do use them, I am just not one of those people. I do use it for cafeteria (behavior) bingo though.

StephR

Thinking Maps
Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here is the list of Thinking Maps I use Missa_g:

Odd/Even Multi-Flow -- Event = __ is ___ ie: 5 is odd
Reasons = what makes it odd/even
Effects = the division problem tha results
Array Circle Map -- # in middle, all arrays surrounding
Factor Tree Map -- all factors, resulting from arrays, listed on tree
Prime/Composite Bridge Map -- Relating factor = is On top 5/bottom prime. I add another bridge each day, starting over at the beginning of the month.
How Many Ways Divided Circle -- divided by operation, which is written in the frame of refernce
Patterns Circle Map
Expanded/word/standard form Tree Map -- title is # forms, branches are the3 types

I think that is it. If I think of more, I will add them!

HARteach

this is a great thread...
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

StephR...thank you for all of the ideas for calendar math! I have been inspired to implement this in my classroom this year. I am sorry though that I know have a question ...do you think it would be a good idea for me to invest in a place value pocket chart to place the units, rods, hundreds, and place it by the calendar?...or do you use something different? Thanks!
HARteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNTn

Great Post!!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow!!! Thank you for not only sharing, but for explaining in such a way that motivates people to want to do this in their rooms. I always did calendar math in first grade, but never thought to continue it in third....NOW I will!!! Thanks a bunch.
TeachNTn is offline   Reply With Quote

allithird

You are amazing
Old 07-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have to confess though. I had to do a Google search as to what a Thinking Map was. Now that I have examples, do you think that you could show an old teacher a new trick by giving exact examples of your thinking maps? I am really a visual learner. Sorry :-(

missa_g

Thinking Maps
Old 07-31-2007, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Here are the exact maps she is referencing. HTH!

http://www.thinkingmaps.com/htthinkmapx.php3

StephR

Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
do you think it would be a good idea for me to invest in a place value pocket chart to place the units, rods, hundreds, and place it by the calendar?...or do you use something different?
HARteach -- I use something like that, except I just made my own (didn't want to spend the money!) but you can definitely get one of those pocket charts. It is easier than making it (trust me on this one!)

changingrades

calendar math
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi!
I taught 2nd last year, and will teach 3rd this year. I am going to use the same system for my calendar work, just more advanced concepts. My kids had calendar work in the morning, which took them about 10 minutes to complete. They had a packet which included a blank calendar, time squares, money squares, and a weather graph. On the blank calendar, they had to write in their number sentences on the correct square. They also had to include tally marks, roman numeral, and the date. On each number square, they had to include how many coins equal the date. This year, I will ask the kids to make change from $1.00 to equal the number of days we are in school. They completed it and I walked around to stamp correct. After 15 minutes of morning work, we did it together on the calendar. I stapled dry-erase sentence strips for the kids to write number sentences. They had real money they had to display, and the "student teacher" completed the rest. The kids who had it wrong had to fix their mistakes and turn it in to me. The kids who were missing all the time, worked together, and with me at a table until it was mastered. Really, the kids get it quick! If you do it everyday and model your thinking, your high kids can do it first, then almost everyone can complete it on their own. Start with low numbers, then you will have your experts. By the middle of the year, the kids could do this themselves.

I use real money for the calendar, but I also have paper money and stamps available for them to use.
changingrades is offline   Reply With Quote

sdgillyard

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have been teaching for almost 8 years. I used a calendar time in first grade room and I have not been able to work it into my third grade room yet. This is my third year in third grade. Now after reading all of your posts and AWESOME ideas I can finally pull out all of that stuff that has been in storage. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas!!!
Denise
sdgillyard is offline   Reply With Quote

hcking

calendar math question
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hi changingrades,

Do you have a copy of your packet that I could see please? This sounds exactly like the type of thing I would like my kids to as they come in in the morning so we can update the calendar math board together.
Thanks!
hcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Priscilla C

Priscilla C

Math Calendar Time
Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hi StephR I read your calendar routine and loved it! I am going to implement most of your ideas. But would also love to see pictures. Do you happen to have any? Do you also have a copy of the accountability page you use? Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Priscilla