Help

ARCHIVE

Carpet Size?

>

IrvingEl

Carpet Size?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking to buy a carpet for my students to be able to sit on during our meetings, read alouds, ect.

Carpets are incredibly expensive...so I am trying to figure out the right size! I know it depends on your classroom size as well but my room is a pretty average classroom size (I think it is big but it is my first year teaching so I would be impressed with the size of just about any classroom!)

Do you think
4ft 5in by 5ft 10in
5ft 5in by 7ft 8in
5ft 10in by 7ft 8in

I have roughly 22 students in my classroom. The smallest carpet is obviously the cheapiest so if I can get away with that size I would love to but I want to make sure that I can get a carpet that fits all of my students. I am having troubles imagining how big I need the carpet to be to fit all of these little bodies!

Does anybody have any suggestions? I know there are a lot of factors that go into this but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IrvingEl is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Carpet
Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have 20 second graders and can't imagine having a carpet smaller than the 9X12 that I have. It could actually stand to be a bit bigger.

Here are several other options:

~Go to a carpet store and look at remnants - they can be pretty inexpensive.
~You can ask a carpet store if they have any old carpet squares (or rectangles) that you can have. Then you can duct tape them together - This takes a lot of duct tape, but it works!
~Sam's has the rubber mats that are pieced together with two foot squares.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

jen517

Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that 9x12 is a good size. I think if you invest in anything smaller you will be disappointed. When you spend that kind of money you want it to be perfect! Good luck.
jen517 is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Carpet size
Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that a 9 x 12 size would be the best. That's the size that carpets used to come in. You'll probably have to go to a carpet store to get a remnant.

Just like everything else that you purchase the sizes began to diminish. I went to Sam's and bought the foam squares--when they are snapped together they are about 8 x 8 since there are four rows of four squares each. I would guess they are 2 feet each. That fit my 16 first graders fine. I could squeeze in one more child on each row to fit 20 students if need be.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

I'mBlessed

Carpet
Old 07-30-2007, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Mine is also 9x12. The custodians have told me I am not allowed to have a carpet that is larger, although I think a bit bigger would fit the kids better. I would not get smaller. Let me know if you find a cheap resource, as mine is in very bad condition, but I doubt that I would be able to afford to replace it and my principal says there is no money in the budget for that.

I'mBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote

CindyLynn

Old 07-30-2007, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I purchased my rug/carpet at a Home Depot store for approximately $50.00 two years ago. The edges are bound and it is holding up very well.
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

MariaD

Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have to have 2 meeting areas in my classroom (one for literacy and one for math) so my rugs have to be smaller than the 9 by 12 rug I'd love. I make do with 6ft by 9ft rugs. My 20 first graders fit on them pretty easily although I wish I could give each of them a little more personal space. 4 students can sit pretty comfortably across the width of the rug.

Tip: Try to get rugs that have some sort of print or subtle pattern rather than a solid. They look cleaner for longer. I bought my rugs at National Wholesale Liquidators a few years ago for $37 each. They still look pretty good.
MariaD is offline   Reply With Quote

mnceriley

Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bought my rug last week at Lowes. It is 8 by 10 I think and I got it for $88. It is HUGE. Linens and Things also had 5 by 7 rugs for 29.99 and then you could use a coupon!
mnceriley is offline   Reply With Quote

Dee Dee

rugs for the room
Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think that the stores carry so many area rugs now because they are a useful item in college dorm rooms. I am also looking for a new one. The one I have is 5 x 8 and it was a very tight squeeze to get all the kids on the rug. I had kids that took forever to squish together to allow their classmates to sit too. I am keeping my eyes out for a colorful, large rug that is cheap. I forgot to ask my principal if she ordered any of them this year and I would have to be quick to claim one. Just in case, I will see if it is returnable.
Dee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

dswan

Pto?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Any chance your parents' club would be able to buy you a rug? That's how I got mine! It's a beautiful primary 9 x 12 carpet.
dswan is offline   Reply With Quote

read2learn

Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I went to Garden Ridge and got 2 5x7 carpets (it's hard to find ones' that match, but it can be done!) and put them together..makes a decent size! They were 20 dollars each! so 40 total! not too bad I didn't think! good luck!
read2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

bluepen

Andy's Carpets
Old 08-01-2007, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I needed a carpet for my room and our school system wouldn't provide one, etc. So, I had heard about Andy's Carpets here on Proteacher. The prices are great and shipping is free. However the selection is slim. I bought the 11x8 oval "Letters the Teach" and it is really cute - simple but cute. Check it out! I also bought the largest one Wally World sells. It is a solid color and only cost 24.99. I have had it for 3 school years. Good luck!
bluepen is offline   Reply With Quote