Guest Readers/Presenters Have you done this? - ProTeacher Community

KcK

Guest Readers/Presenters Have you done this?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really want to get some parents/relatives into my room more to interact with the kids. Not as helpers to me so to speak, but as guest presenters. I am planning to do guest readers, but was wondering if anyone else has done it or had parents in to teach or present other things? Any hints or ideas for it to move more smoothly and be pretty easy to implement?

KcK is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Guests
Old 07-29-2007, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had parents come in to speak about the holiday that they celebrate in the winter. We study several different holidays in class and the kids enjoy having their families come in to talk about their traditions. I send home a letter asking the parents if they'd like to come. If they say yes, I give them a call to give them the details. I listen to what they'd like to share first (some can be more involved than others) then I let them know how long they'll have. We plan out their visit there on the phone. I haven't had many parents do this because many of our families are quite univolved but those who have come have really enjoyed the experience!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieL

Readers
Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

During each child's turn to be the student of the week they are asked to invite a guest to read to the class. Usually it's a parent, but I've had older siblings, baby-sitters, and grandparents. I've seen some classes where the guest reader is a surprise and the teacher gives clues (provided by the reader) all week long. In the letter that I send home the week before a child becomes student of the week I explain the guest reading and give a variety of days and times-usually any morning at the start of school or afternoons right before dismissal. I simply ask the reader to let me know when he/she will come. Parents have been very responsive to this program and the kids love having someone there for them. The reader sits in my chair and the student pulls up a chair beside the reader.
JulieL is offline   Reply With Quote

BeccaSuze1231

Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The last 2 years I did a "Mystery Reader" where I sent home a calendar with a few times available for guests to come read a book of their choice to the class. In theory, the students weren't supposed to know their parents were coming in, but they usually did I asked my Mystery Readers to send a note in a sealed envelope or e-mail me for secrecy purposes! My students enjoyed it, but I don't know if I'll continue it this year... seems like it's always the same 2 or 3 parents volunteering.
BeccaSuze1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We did a whole school Read a Thon last year to raise money for Classroom libraries. We invited tonnes of people in, from local "celebrities" to parents to politicians. The kids loved it (and I was teaching grade 7/8!) We had out local MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) and he was amazing - the kids adored him!

I've brought a few other people in to discuss their careers and how they got their as part of our Pathways program (goes from gr. 7-12, so at my end it's just to get the kids thinking about all the different types of careers available, and getting them thinking about their strengths and what types of areas they may be interested in, and what they should be looking at in highschool to get to those areas). Everyone from DJs to lawyers. The kids always enjoy guests in the room.

dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

Steph

Royal Readers
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did Royal Readers one year which involved a crown and a cape for those that came to read. It was a cute idea, but most parents were uncomfortable being "dressed" up in front of the kids.

I also ask school personnel to come in and read: librarian, principal, assistant principal, lead teacher, secretary, nurse...anyone who can model good literacy for the kids. It also helps them know the staff. You'd be surprised how many weren't sure which lady was the principal.

We've also had special days where the board of education was invited to be mystery readers. I think we usually did that around Black History Month. The kids didn't really get who these "teachers" were but it meant alot to them to get invited into the classroom.

Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Mystery Readers
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have Mystery Readers too. The kids and the parents loved it. I put out a sign up sheet with all the open Friday's at Curriculum Night. They could sign up for 1 date.

I print up a list of readers and the dates and send it home to the parents in a sealed envelope. I ask that they not show the kids as this is part of the fun.

I send the list home to ALL the parents incase some missed the sign up, or could make the commitment that night.

I ask that the parents send in a list of three clues about themself the Friday before their day. The clues have to be general enough as to not give away who they are to their own child.

Usually we have almost ALL the Friday's filled up and most my parents did a great job of keeping it from their kids.

Parents usually stay for about 20 minutes. They read a story that they pick, or I can pick one for them.

Like the poster above, some times it's not parents. We've had grandmas, aunts, uncles, and sisters. I had a few open spots through the year so I asked our principal and VP and our Social Worker too.
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote