Help

ARCHIVE

First Week

>

AngelCat21

First Week
Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We start back on a Monday this year (normally it's the middle of the week). What do you do the first week? I've got some ideas for the first day, but what about the rest of the week? Do you jump right into the curriculum, do you start testing them, do you do some type of project, etc? Thanks. BTW I teach third.

AngelCat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lifelong Tchr

Procedures, procedures, and review those
Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

procedures!
No kidding-the more you rehearse and practice the expectations you've got for your class, the better off you'll be later on!
I don't begin much as far as academics are concerned, other than general writing/reading/math- and that's just to get a feel for what they've retained through the summer.
I go over the expectations for the hallways, restrooms, lining up, cafeteria, using the drinking fountain in our classroom, etc. I have procedures for entering the room and putting lunch money away, etc. You don't want to "procedure them to death" but if there's a special way you want something done, set them up for success by discussing the way you want it done.
You'll need to continue to review these the first 5 weeks or so. During that time, you will begin your reading, writing, math, etc. but always take some time to rehearse your expectations throughout the day.
Best wishes!!
Lifelong Tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For whatever grade you teach, it's procedures, procedures, and more procedures . . . for a good portion of the first two weeks, or longer if they need it.

Now in addition to that I DO jump right into the curriculum. The first day I go over procedures--not all, but the ones they'll need that day--and then they get their first assignment.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked on plenty of procedures too, but also interspersed it with academic activities that gave the students a feel of what the year would be like and gave me a feel of what the kids were like.

In reading I will do an introductory activity the first week where the students will end up creating a class book that introduces themselves. In math I hope to focus on the facts the first week before we get into the heavy stuff. Our spelling curriculum doesn't begin until the second week. But I want to start out with the habit of homework from the very beginning, so i gave the students spelling homework the first night. I don't know how others would respond to this, but I like routine and I think it helped us getting into it as soon as possible.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote