Desk Name Tags - ProTeacher Community

Nessa

Desk Name Tags
Old 07-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade and have a quick question...
Do your write your students' first and last names on the desk tags? or just first names?
Do you print or do them in cursive?

I picked up my class list today and I'm sitting here trying to remember how I did it last year! However I did it, I remember wishing I had done it another way. Just looking for other thoughts...

Last edited by Nessa; 07-30-2007 at 01:27 PM..
Nessa is offline   Reply With Quote

dogs

tags
Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just write their first names. Last year was my first year in fourth so I assumed I should write them in cursive but wasn't sure either. I taught second for a few years before so I was really used to printing. Everything I wrote from there out in class was printing out of habit. This year I think I am going to print their names since it will be neater. I don't make my kids write in cursive if they don't want to. I figure books, magazines, newspapers, and the computer all are print so I leave it up to them.
dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

jorgefuriouso

A Few Things:
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I print them out on the computer with their first name and student number. I randomly print out four on a green sheet, four on a blue sheet, etc. If you're hand-writing them onto blanks, you could use different colored markers. The reason? When you need a totally new way to group kids or call them up a few at a time (for example, to get supplies), calling by colors versus numbers is quicker.

Also, when posting the names, I tape them in the corner of the desktop, upside down to the student. The student knows who he/she is; the names are there for visitors, guest teachers, people handing things out who will have an easier time reading the names that way, since they'll be facing the desk from the front.
jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote

dogs

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am going to think about the color coding idea. I am really a neat freak and don't know if I can handle that part yet. I really like the idea of turning the name around. How much easier for people visiting the room. Thanks for the great tip.
dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

bigsis

Nametags
Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First names for me and in cursive. By the end of the first semester, the students were asked to complete work in cursive. I know that manuscript is used for so many things, but if we are going to teach cursive writing in the lower grades, perhaps we should have them use it at some point. Just a thought.

bigsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Note from a sub
Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a sub, it really helps when we can see first, last and class number on their desks.
1) It makes attendance super easy.
2) It makes it easy to make a seating chart before class starts
3) It makes keeping them in line easy when you can call them by name. (some kids think I'm psychic when I know their names)
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Old 07-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have always printed their first names, but this year I got longer desk tags (12 for a dollar at Dollar Tree). Since they were so long, I put their last names on too, just to fill a little space. The ones I got this year have information on them like the capitals, mult chart, etc so I am putting them on the tops of their desks. In the past, I have always put them on the backs of their chairs. Our chairs are connected to our desks. This worked very well.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

marie1234

printing
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you make the nametags yourself, or did you find a website to help you with this? If you don't mind I would love for you to share!

Thanks in advance
marie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

4abue

This is what I do
Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I write my students full name in cursive after I laminate the name tags. If I make a mistake I can simply clean it with the whiteboard cleaning spray and start over. I also don't tape them to their desks (some students will do this themselves). Oh, I also write their class number and student ID number. They need to remember their class number when they turn in work and their student ID number is needed at the library and in some tests.

I buy mine. This year I bought them at the dollar tree!
4abue is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheresa

Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do first and last name, but this year I may only do first name.
Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom4a_and_c

Name tags
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I always put both first and last name in cursive. Sometimes by fourth they think they know it all and get lazy in doing cursive. This helps remind them of the correct way to write their names.

Marie from PA
Mom4a_and_c is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher609

$1 Spot
Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I found some cute name plates for my 2nd graders at Target. I usually write first names only, along with class and student ID numbers.
teacher609 is offline   Reply With Quote

cinaminsweet

Nametags
Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've always written in print and first and last names. I haven't decided yet this year if I'm going to write the names in print or cursive.
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

nanz

Post-Its
Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Last year I was given a sample of the new Post-It sentence strips at the Staples Teacher Appreciation Day. I used them to create name tags for the first weeks of school. I work in a very transient district, and I always have no shows and add-ons during the first week or two. By using the Post-It sentence strips, I could easily change name tags without all the sticky mess from the tape. It also worked great for students who went by a name other than what was on the roster. After the first two weeks of school I was able to place the permanent name tags (first name, last initial, number, in cursive) and not have to worry about too many more changes.
nanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Groovy Gal

First, Last, in cursive
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach 6th grade and I think the kiddos need to see their full name in cursive. I also include their student number (1-35 or however many students I have).

I, too, use a sentence strip for the first couple of weeks and then put on their permanant name tag after that. It's amazing to see they notice it right off the bat and get excited. I love their enthusiasm over such a simple thing.

I use book tape to secure my name tags to the desks. What do ya'll use?
Groovy Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Cathy-Dee

desk tags
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I teach grade 3 and I do both their first and last name in cursive. The first day of school is always fun as they tell me they can't read "handwriting" so they can't find their desk when I tell them to look for their desk.

I just tell them to look at each name carefully and they'll be able to figure it out - they are always so amazed when they actually do.

I do their names first and then laminate them so they last longer.

I hot glue my tags to their desks which works well for the most part - I usually have 3 or 4 who have to try to pry their name tags off by the end of the week.
Cathy-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Love the idea of putting them upside down!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Of course that makes sense!!

As far as the color coding. I bought sticker dots from Smilemakers.com They are six color dots with the word written on them. I put them in the corner of their desk. Equal numbers of greens, blues, yellows, reds, oranges, and purples. I used the dots to call them for things too. What I found out was that the same kids were grouped together all the time.

This year I am going to put a few stickers on the corners of their tags. Examples: the dots for color groups, different animals, hearts, flowers, smiley faces...etc.

This way I can say, "If you have a red smiley face on your desk, please line up!" Or "Everyone with a dog sticker on their desk meet at the cubbies.."

As far as the original post. I teach 3rd. I start out with print and after Christmas break, I make new ones with cursive. I only put their first name and class number. If there are two of the same names, then I put the last initial.

Two years ago I had two Alexes and they both had last names that started with S!!
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twopetes

Tags
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I laminate them, write their first & last name, and their class number. Then, I use tape to secure them to the desks. One year I used velcro. I didn't like that. I saw in a catalog little plastic sleeves that you can insert the desk tags in. Has anyone used these. I also saw tape that was extra wide to secure them. I had the best success this year with students leaving their name tags alone because I told them there would be prizes at the end of the year for those students whose desk plate was still on their desk.
twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote

bigsis

Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Clear contact paper works great! You can cut it to any size, it's not expensive, and it's easy to remove. Very popular in our school.
bigsis is offline   Reply With Quote

City Mouse

Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have done the name tags both ways. When I taught third, I put both the first and last name in cursive because I taught cursive and wanted the students to learn how to read it also.
Last year, I taught fourth grade and cursive was not important to the previous teacher that I replaced. I printed the kids first names and last initial on their name tag.
I secured the tags with packaging tape to the front of the desk with the hope that the kids would not pry it off or destroy the tag by erasing their name (only kids will figure out how to erase sharpie permanent marker!) My idea did not work. Some destroyed their name tags the first day!
I have also attached magnets to the back of the name tag so they could stick on any of the magnetic parts of the desk. I really liked that until the name tags started disappearing. After that, I gave up. I figured the kids could figure out where they sat, and they did! Each time I rearranged, I just put a sticky note with their name on the desk. If I had a sub, I made a seating chart for them.
A co-worker last year gave me a great idea though that I'm going to use this year. She bought shower board and cut it to a size slightly larger than a name tag. She then taped the name tag to the shower board and had portable desk tags! This made the tags much more durable and they could be easily moved around the room.
City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote