Attacked by a juniper bush - ProTeacher Community

Mom4a_and_c

Attacked by a juniper bush
Old 07-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went outside this morning and couldn't stand looking at the overgrown juniper pines in front of the house. I decided to trip them myself. Not a smart move. I should have known better. I worked at a greenhouse in college but, I was determined to do this without my husbands help.

I trimmed away. Then I noticed how my arms hurt and burned. Everytime I moved a branch or picked one up to get rid of, they rubbed against my skin. Now my arms are covered with a red and splotchy rash.

My hubby said I should have waited for him to do it or wore long sleeves. He has been working 12 hour days lately. I know he is too tired after work. I also am not patient. I knew I could do it and did. I also was not going to wear long sleeves. It was in the high 80's today. I was not going to roast.

So....does anyone have any advice for this stubborn and impatient person to help relieve my aching arms?

Marie from PA

Dawn

Hi Marie
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done battle with juniper bushes too! I know exactly the type of rash you're talking about. I don't have any earth-shattering recommendations except hydrocortisone cream for the itch. I do know that taking a shower and being patient (maybe you'll struggle with that part ), the rash and itch does go away within a day or two.

javamomma

(hugs)
Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ouch from another stubborn impatient person that totally understands!!!!

de'anna

Benadryl
Old 07-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe some Benadryl will help with the itching...
Hope you feel better,
De'Anna

3grteacher

No itch help.....
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

But I can sympathize. I have a row of juniper bushes in front of my house and I CANT STAND THEM!!! I have been debating about trying to cut them out...but I think I'll have a row of stumps as I am sure they are original to the house and it's a 30 year home.

I am considering calling a landscaper. Hey, I think I'll start a thread on that!

Mackenzie AK

No help, but empathy
Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have no ideas to offer, but I took mine out this spring. I was sick of battling them also. My arms hurt for days, because like you, I didn't wear long sleeves or gloves. I think one of the reasons I took them out was because they looked horrible where I had planted them and weren't growing AT ALL!!!!

MKat

Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We took out an entire row of juniper last year. I say "we" but I'm terribly allergic to juniper and didn't help at all. My husband and son did it. It was very hard work and they definately had to wear long pants and long sleeves!