ARCHIVE

Fluency folders?

>

N2Children

N2Children

Fluency folders?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use fluency folders? How exactly do you do it, and what are your procedures for using them? I am very interested in utilizing them, but I am unsure of any details. (Someone has mentioned them to my grade level but doesn't know a whole lot about it.) I would appreciate any responses! Thanks so much!

Linda

Fluency folders
Old 02-10-2006, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I don't know if we are talking about the same thing - but I use DIBELS progress monitoring to keep track of my student's reading fluency. It is basically a running record - I have them read to me for 1 minute and record the results. Email me if you have any questions.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
N2Children

N2Children

Old 02-11-2006, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your response ... I do use progress monitoring on a weekly basis. This is something that the students do themselves to build fluency. They do it with partners and time one another. They even can graph the results to see their growth. I just don't know exactly what it looks like, how to manage it, etc. Again, thanks!

iteachk-1

Fuency Folders
Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a fluency workstation during my reading block. The station has leveled passages the students use either of two ways. First, one student will read an appropriate passage to another student (both students have a copy of the passage). The recorder (listener) marks each word the reader reads correctly. A small 1 minute sand timer is used by a third student (timer). When the sand runs out the timer call time. The recorder counts the number of words read and records it on a fluency chart. The students then trade jobs. This allows students of different abilities to work together. The charts are kept in a work station folder. The students will try to beat their own numbers each time. The passages are laminated and the marks are made with a dry-erase marker. The passages are cleaned off and reused. Another way the students use this station is to read the passages while recording themselves. They then listen to themselves read. This is very helpful for building expression while reading. Each student has a 10 minute tape to use. They simply record over themselves each time. I too use the Dibels assessment for my own use.
iteachk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
N2Children

N2Children

That's it!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's exactly what I was talking about! Do you happen to have any pictures so that I could see how you have it set up? Does each child have their own fluency chart? How do you organize that? I'm very eager to see what and how you do this. I am a visual person and would love if you had pictures. Thanks in advance!

iteachk-1

Fluency Workstation
Old 02-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry I don't have pictures to share. The fluency workstation is set up at an extra desk with a tape recorder on it. The fluency passages I use are actually running record passages from out reading series. They are copies of the stories the students have already read. I don't assess with running records because my school uses DIBELS. I copy the passages and place the reader copy in plastic sleeves and then put the sleeves in a plastic folder. The Folders are color coded according to the reading level they came from. The recorder copy is glued to colored construction paper (matches the folder color) and then laminated so that dry erase marker will wipe off. Each set is put together with a hole punch and a ring. I use small (1 minute) sand timers and finepoint dry erase markers. The fluency forms came from materials I downloaded from http://www.fcrr.org/activities/. This is a great resource but be aware the files are very large. Each student has his/her own fluency recording form. There are several available but the one I use is very simple. The fluency forms are kept in the workstation folder. The folder holds all the work for workstations throughout the week. The fluency station is one of the favorites of my students. I have both choices available but give students a choice of which way they will work at the station.
1&2teacher

1&2teacher

management
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That sounds like a great tool for assessment! How do you get it to run so smoothly? I would like to try something like that but I have difficulty envisioning my class of first and second graders being responsible enough to do it? Any tips?

mrsb203

Fluency
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

we have just been introduced to a program Read Naturally http://www.readnaturally.com/ Part of the program is to set up a folder with the students rate of progress. This progam has a passage that the student is timed on, however there are few vocabulary words that must be introduced by the teacher (this only takes a few minutes) A prediction is made and then there are comprehension questions to complete after the reading. Since we just received this I have been doing some together and sending them home for homework to get them familiar with the format and kind of caught up. The kids love doing them. The stories have been interesting and pretty much at their level. What I plan on doing is assessing with a "cold" read let them work in pairs and reread and answer the questions then do a "warm" read. This is a slight deviation from the way we were originally taught but my second graders could not do the paired scoring. (I tried it, what a headache) I have a small block of time that I have a para in the room each day and I plan to rotate small groups of 4 during this time. As a matter of fact I was planning on starting this Monday.
The books are leveled so I have a small group in the 1.5 book, most in the 2.0 book and then another small group in the 2.5 book to start.
This system may need some tweaking but I'm adapting it from a 3rd garde buddy. She has seen improvement in the scores over a few weeks.
We'll see what happens.
mrsb203 is offline   Reply With Quote

read2me

Perfect Answer your looking for...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My 1st graders read their fluency folders every morning. I introduce 7 phrases or short sentences each week, starting at the 1st week of school.
I write them on sentence strips, on Friday I move them over to the Fluency corner. This is great for extra practice. They read, sort and write them.
Then a list of phrases are added to their folders. The students reread their fluency phrases from week to week. Every week 7 more are added. Some phrases or sentenes are dulicated, but they become very fluent with them. There is a long list, I do 7 a week . I just finished them last week. So our folders are complete.
I also put an ABC chart in, so that, they will become fluent at the begining of the year. Now I just put a list of Blends with pictures for them to read, fast and fluent, I say. This has helped in their journal writing, guided reading, and ORF in the Dibels testing. I have a list. If you want it, let me know.
read2me is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv2nd

Our second grade fluency folders
Old 02-24-2006, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Each child has a "folder" made of folded construction paper with their name on it. Stapled inside is grid paper for a graph. I have also added a "guage" along the side of the folder that shows what the student's reading rate was at the beginning of the year (printed at the bottom of the page) and the end of year goal at the top of the page. Ideally, we will mark progress along this continuum as reading rates improve.

On Monday, I time several kids as they read a grade level text portion (often a 100-125 word excerpt from the basal story of the week). Each of these students then colors in squares on the graph to show how many words correct per minute (WCPM) they read. They take a copy of the text home to practice and that portion is part of the entire classes' 5 day fluency work (I read the portion Monday, we echo read it Tuesday, we choral read it Wednesdays, partners time each other reading it alone on Thursday and we sometimes write a quick-write about the piece on Friday). On Friday, I see the same kids for a timed reading of the piece. The kids then color in red the correct words per minute they read beyond their total (WCPM) from Monday above the blue squares colored on Monday. That shows them how much they improved after practice. I also store copies of each piece read in the folder. I store the folders for safekeeping but the kids have another copy of the portion they can reread during independent reading time. Does this make sense?

iluv2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
qunliz3

qunliz3

Old 02-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would love to know how you run your fluency program. Where do you get your sentences/phrases...or do you make them up? I would really appreciate any help. My email is qunliz3@aol.com... I teach 1st grade in Texas.

Thanks!

iteachk-1

Fluency Workstation
Old 02-25-2006, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I modeled how to use the station with small groups before I started a fluency workstation. I did not start using it until November. My first graders do a great job with the task. The students are familiar with 'timed' tests because our school uses fluency checks at all levels- k's are timed on letter naming fluency and 1st-3rd are timed on oral reading fluency. Of, course. the fluency checks given by students are not exact. But they do try to beat the previous words read per minute.

aowen

Old 03-02-2006, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

read2me -

I desperately need a copy. Thank you!

aowen@dcbe.org
aowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Jaime

Jaime

fluency folders
Old 03-05-2006, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would love someone to explain this to me on either AOL IM or calling me!!! Any takers PLEASE? It sounds great!!
Jaime
PS: Email me at elmosjeep@optonline.net

imafostermom

fluency
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

site for passages 1-3 http://westlake.k12.oh.us/pupilservi...ssessments.htm
imafostermom is offline   Reply With Quote
1stgrademom

1stgrademom

fluency graphs?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Does anyone have a sample graph for kids to chart their words per minute for hot and cold reads that is easy enough for 1st graders? Most that I have seen count by 5's and I find that the kids I work with can't figure out where 63 would be. Thanks for any help!!!

iteachk-1

Fluency materials
Old 04-21-2006, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

The Florida Reading First website has an awesome collection of materials for fluency. Here is the URL http://www.fcrr.org/activities/

Be aware the files are very large. There are some fluency graphs but I don't know if it is what you are looking for.
Yolanda2767

Yolanda2767

Weekly Phrases
Old 08-26-2007, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'd like a list of the phrases you introduce each week.
Queeqag@aol.com

Thanks

ideasearching

fluency folders
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I was researching on PT on fluency folders and came across your message. I am very interested in finding out more about how you implement it in your classroom and if you would be so kind to share some strategies/materials with me.

I am a first grade teacher in Texas.
You can e-mail me at spullen@houstonisd.org

Thanks and have a great day
ideasearching is offline   Reply With Quote
ngcooke

ngcooke

Fluency Folders
Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I would love to get a copy of the list you used for the fluency folders. I am looking for ideas to use with first graders.
ngcooke

ngcooke

Fluency Folders
Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I really liked your idea, if you could send me the list that you use, that would be great. cooke4@nycap.rr.com Thanks!
ngcooke

ngcooke

fluency ideas
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This idea makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing!