Help

ARCHIVE

Grading Math HW

>

Learn4Life

Grading Math HW
Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I am going to check-in their math each morning with all the other subjects laid out on their desks. Then when we get to math time, here's my question:

Do you go over every single question so they have the immediate feedback?

Or do you just go over selected problems? I ask this because we use Saxon Math and there's usually not more than 3-4 problems of a kind. Do they have to correct any HW problems they get wrong and turn in?

Then would you still have the students turn in their HW to see if they made corrections?

I am operating on the ideal that they should not be penalized/graded for "practicing" their HW. I will find out on the weekly tests if they are really not understanding the concepts.

Any help/ideas? I keep going back and forth. Thanks!

Learn4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

mmteacher83

Here's what I do...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach fourth grade and Saxon 5/4 math. I have tried grading the assignments several different ways. Every morning I check off their name as they do their morning check in. That way I know who hasn't completed their homework from the night before.

I have tried passing back the homework and checking the problems together. I hoped that if they got the problems wrong that they would ask questions to find out what they did wrong. This happened at first, but once the kids got comfortable with the process, they just erased the incorrect answer and write in the correct answer. In addition, this took a great deal of instructional time.

For most of the time, I have been correcting each of the math lessons. Which as you know can range between 25-30 problems for each lesson. I would record a grade. Each problem being worth one point. Then I pass the paper back to the student and I give them a chance to review the problems together. I also give the kids a chance to correct their problems and turn the paper back in for an improved grade. I give them a full point back to the student if they corrected the problem. For a test, I give half of a point back if the student corrected the problem. This takes a lot of teacher time. I was fortunate enough to have a room mom help correct the homework. I corrected the tests.

One of my coworkers has used an overhead spinner. On the circle around the spinner are the choices of what to do with the assignment. For example, grade the paper, go over as a class, etc. There are other choices, but I can't remember what they were. I am going to try this next year because that way I'll keep the kids guess as to what will happen with their homework.

I hope this helps.
mmteacher83 is offline   Reply With Quote

fourblocks5

homework
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had the hardest time with the math homework. We have everyday math at our school and there is homework basically every night. The first year I was trying to learn the program and could barely keep up with the homework.

Last year I would collect it, have a student check it off and then I would go through it later. Which means I got behind and it never really helped me know what they weren't understanding from the lesson in a timely fashion.

When I wouldn't collect it, we would go through it together. Then I would have kids getting the answers from us correcting them and not having to do their homework on their own which bothered me.

I never really found the balance between the two.

I could use any suggestions also!!
fourblocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote

melko

Grading Spinner
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really like the idea of the grading spinner. I had a lot of trouble with homework grading this year and this would make it that much more exciting and fun for me and them. So, on the spinner there would be teacher grades, go over as a class, and what else? If you know what I should put, please tell me!
melko is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Old 08-03-2007, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

spinner ideas:

grade odd problems
grade even problems

sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

BirdSong

Student Input
Old 08-03-2007, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could have certain students select a few problems that they struggled with and just go over those together. I'd select students randomly and always include 1 or 2 of my consistent strugglers.
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

Math HW
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We also use Everyday Math and the Study Links go home every night. I check off those that did their homework on my clipboard, then I buddy them up (or triads whatever) and they "confer" over the hw. Any "discrepancies" in their answers and they have to rework together and determine who is right. After 10 minutes or so, any problems that are still causing a problem or that someone did not understand are presented to the class. I use volunteers to explain how to solve them. Since we send the answers home to parents, I don't feel I can grade these worksheets. Therefore, conferring in class really helps with discussion and explanations. I do tally points for late homework. If it is not done, that student works outside my room while we are conferring and then confers with me at noon break. I make up a quiz over a selection of the different problems for the week to use for a grade. I very seldom buddy my top math student with my poorest - someone is always bored and fed up and the other is frustrated and can't understand as quickly. Those who had no problems or understand it all check with my master ws to make sure they do have the correct answers. They can then get started on that day's Math Box page or on-going project.
jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

fourblocks5

everyday math hw
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The other issue with the homeowork is that the lessons take so long that it's hard to fit the time in to correct the homework. I have to try to find that extra 10 minutes to go through the homework everyday.

Nadalie

Everyday Math
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love your idea for checking homework! I also teach Everyday Math and struggle with how to grade the Study Links-the quizzes are a great idea-my difficulty is over parents who help their kids every night so HW is perfect even though kids are not grasping concepts, and those kids who do HW all on their own. I have been considering not grading HW at all-just using it for practice of concepts. Having a buddy system is a great way for kids to share solution strategies and help each other. Thanks for a great Idea.
Nadalie is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

checking math
Old 08-03-2007, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think it's very important for the kids to have feedback on their work to know if they're "getting it" or not. It helps the parents, too. We go over HW together most days. (They turn it in to a tray in the morning, so I already know who has it and who doesn't.) They use a pen and we go over answers together. Some just answers, some detailed explanations. We don't always go over EVERY problem. Sometimes I'll just pick one side, one section, odd or even #s...whatever, to get a representative sample. I like them to check their own paper so they're seeing their own work and looking for their own areas of confusion. They are, with very few exceptions, pretty responsible with this. I ask if anyone needs any repeats. Then I ask who needs explanations. I really see some of them getting a lot out of this time. We collect the HW then and I spot check here and there when I'm recording grades, just to make sure they're grading correctly and to look for trouble spots. I don't take a grade on every assignment, but do on most. Sometimes, esp. when a difficult concept has just been introduced, I'll tell them all to put their paper in their home folder right after we check it and that everyone who turned it in on time gets 100%. HW can count for no more than 40% of the quarter grade, so it's not weighted much. Math is a lot of work, but this system has worked very well for me.

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

PATeacher45

Homework
Old 08-09-2007, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do not grade math homework because I do not know who is actually doing it at home. This year, I will be giving students one point for having completed the assignment (or making a good attempt), 0 points if it is not attempted.

We check the previous night's homework daily. While they are doing their problem of the day and math minute, I will call on students to put selected homework problems on the board and then have them explain their work to the class. If they are computation problems, I usually only try to give 10 or so. If it is word problems, I call on a few students to share their solution and explanation to the class. They correct their homework using a pen. I will collect it a few times each week, and always walk around while we are discussing to assess how the students did.
PATeacher45 is offline   Reply With Quote

mjh96

Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't use Everyday Math, but I have a system that is similar to jeanmarie's. I use Scott Foresman and Scott Foresman Investigations (fromerly TERC).

The first 5 minutes of math class, I have a routine--the kids take out their homework and immediately begin reveiwing and correcting it with their table (4-5 kids). They use fancy/colorful pens, so they can see their corrections. The groups agree on correct answers, and discuss/explain anything they don't agree on.

While the groups are discussing, I circulate around the room with my clipboard to check off who doesn't have their homework complete, and to make sure they are on task and productive with their discussions.

After about 5 minutes, I ask the groups to share any problems that they still don't agree on as a table-usually there are one or two for the whole class. We go over those as a class.

The whole process takes less than 10 minutes, and afterwards we launch immediately into the day's warm-up problem.
mjh96 is offline   Reply With Quote

fourblocks5

math hw
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Mjh96 - that is such a good idea. I never thought about going through homework that way. I do have a couple more questions. What happens to the kids that don't have their homework finished? Do you find that the groups are discussing how they got their answers? I wondered if some kids would rely on others for the correct answers but not figure out how to get the correct answer.

Margaret916

fourblocks5
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do the same process -- group work and circulating to check off. I found my 5th graders totally rockin on this process. Completely worth the ten minutes. Those that didn't complete homework fill out a missing homework form for me. This gets turned into my tray as a "paper trail" of the kids that didnt finish work -- they mark what assignment, why it isnt done and what they will do to make sure this doesn't happen again. When there are three of these forms -- the forms go home to parents to sign. This helps us stay on top of missing work and patterns of missing assignments.
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

TDSteacher

Re: Grading Math HW - Everyday Math
Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I also use Everyday Math, and I agree that it seems strange to truly "grade" the Study Links. Last year, I simply marked each paper w/ a check minus, check, or check plus to correlate with Beginning, Developing, or Secure. I kept a separate section in my grade book for these marks. I didn't try to average them, but they gave me some sense of the kids' progress during the unit.

Also, I do not send home the answers to the Study Links for the parents. My school really emphasizes the need for kids to work independently on homework, so I thought that providing the answers for the parents would contradict that rule. If students have trouble with the Study Link, they can see me for help first thing in the morning w/o penalty.
TDSteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

fhsfrau

spinner grading ideas
Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I use a number cube (big dice) and have a student roll it. 1. teacher grades it 2. students grade it 3. grade only odds 4. grade only evens 5. don't grade at all 6. grade the first half or the second half etc. there are really many possibilities. I sometimes let the kids help me decide on what the numbers mean on a given day. They really love it and it can make life easier. Adds a bit of fun and lets them know that you can be flexible too.
fhsfrau is offline   Reply With Quote

hazeleyesinnc

Hw
Old 11-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Personally it works best for me to check off if they have it. If they do it is 100. If they don't they get an 80 for the first day late, 70 for the second day late, and they have one week to get in period. That way students aren't being penalized for trying to practice something we are learning in class.

We then check the homework in class and I answer any problems or do anything that might need to see.

I'm loving the ideas of the die or spinner to grade regular work each day. I have 3 90 minute classes with no less than 24 and up to 28. Grading is taking over my life and I want to take it back. The spinner or dice for me would cut down on my grading considerably. The students would know before they do the problems which ones I'm going to grade and hopefully they will concentrate on doing those to the best of the ability. It might even encourage those to ask questions if they don't understand, knowing that they are only going to get that one shot. Thanks for the ideas. You can always count on PT'ers
hazeleyesinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

TuesdayBear

Old 11-16-2008, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I do not spend time in class correcting HW. HW to me is just practice. I give it a participation grade - 10 points if I see they tried their best, and I lower the points from there depending on the effort. I can tell from their classwork who needs extra help with a skill... and honestly, it's a better assessment because you don't know who's doing the work at home.
TuesdayBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Aurora

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
I have tried passing back the homework and checking the problems together. I hoped that if they got the problems wrong that they would ask questions to find out what they did wrong. This happened at first, but once the kids got comfortable with the process, they just erased the incorrect answer and write in the correct answer.
My students do all correcting with a colored pencil. We do this with every subject, so it's routine. DOL in the morning, random science, social studies, math, ... it works well. The kids and I both get instant feedback, and since we do so much practice, it's not a big deal if a few practice sheets go straight home without being entered in the gradebook. I got a stamp that says "Checked for participation. Reviewed in class." It's perfect.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote