Help

ARCHIVE

Desk Plates and Tables?

>

teacherdani21

Desk Plates and Tables?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I bought some desktop helpers/plates from my local teacher supply store. Problem is, I have tables rather than desks. I had some last year, and stuck them on the tables with clear contact paper. The problem that I had, was when the kids switched spots, the desktop plate had to be removed and therefore re-done because it no longer stuck. Needless to say, I gave up, and they didn't last very long. My kids liked them because they could refer to them when needed (for the number line, alphabet, color names, shapes, etc.). My question is, what can I use to get them to stick down to the tables, but can be removed easily when the kids switch spots? I was thinking velcro, but not sure what the sticky stuff will do to the tables. Any suggestions??? I did find some plastic sleeves from reallygoodstuff.com, but they were like 25.00 for a pack of 12 !

teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Meredith

Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had the same problem last year when I switched from desks to tables. I used velcro and it worked great. That way when I wanted to change a student's seats, I could easily lift up the nametag and stick it on another table.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

desktop plates
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've done tried 2 things...I've laminated their nameplates, then taped down the edges with clear tape. Unfortunately, the little kiddos like to pick at the tape. Then I just have to pick the old tape off and retape it. At least I don't have to do a new nameplate that way. I've also used wide book tape to stick the nameplate to the tables. It's less likely to peel up.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Velcro
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also have tables and I was going to try the velcro route this year. The sticky stuff will come off with Goo Gone, rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover at the end of the year.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! I think I am going to laminate them and go with my first idea for sticking them down...the velcro. I figured the stuff would come off with Goo Gone, but just wanted to be sure!

1steduc8or

I saw that a company had
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

clear sleeves to slide the plates into. I think it was really good stuff but if I remember right they were a bit expensive?

I do really like the velcro idea, I just wanted to let you know of any other options.
1steduc8or is offline   Reply With Quote

1steduc8or

oops, lol
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

somehow I missed the part in your first post that said you already found the sleeve pouch things from Really Good Stuff. Sorry, I guess you don't need my last post.

sallen26

Name Plates
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A teacher next door to me made a large colored hexagon to put in the middle of each table. She used velcro and attached the names on the sides of the hexagon. This was out of the way of the kids fingers and they could be moved when she changed tables. I might try it this year. I also have kept my kids laminated name plates in the tote in the center of the table and they could use them when needed.
sallen26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

velcro dots
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've used velcro dots for my name plates for several years, and any sticky residue left when you pull off the velcro is easy to remove, mostly with just your thumbnail. I've just left the dots on if they're in good shape, and we clean around them.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

finding velcro dots
Old 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I plan to get mine tomorrow. Where is the best place to purchase these?

liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

liketeaching1
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I usually buy velcro dots at the craft store (this seems to be the cheapest place). I know Target, and Walmart also sell them.

Tessa

Velcro dots
Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here in Australia you can also buy 'foam dots' or 'sticky dots' from office superstores like Officeworks. I would try Staples or perhaps even Wal-Mart or Target for these.

And I laminated the nameplates and stuck them down with blu-tack (silly putty) and it was each child's 'job' to make sure their nameplate looked presentable!
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaC1st

Desk Top Helpers
Old 08-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use velcro strips that I got at Staples. They come in a long continuous roll. I put the fuzzy side on the back of the desk top name plate. One strip (1 1/2" long) on each side of the name plate. The "loop side" stays on the desk. I have left my loop side on the desk for three years now. It has a very strong adhesive. If I want to remove it, I use needlenose pliers. I take off the velcro strips from the back of student name plates to reuse the next year. The adhesive does not leave a residue. I laminate the desktop helpers first, of course, then write the child's name in black sharpie marker. I can scribble over it with a black white board marker, scrub with a paper towel and it's clean to write a new student's name.The children can lift up their desktop helper to bring it closer to them to use the number line, spell color words, etc. They love being able to do that. It is a snap to move children around, remove name tags for testing, or change names when students move/arrive. It is important that all of the desktop helpers have the strips in the same place.
LisaC1st is offline   Reply With Quote

JunieB.

Dani -- just a tip....
Old 08-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I get tables this year and I'm planning on doing velcro also -- I was told to laminate them twice so they are more durable when you take them off, etc. HTH!
JunieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

Dixiecup

Painter's Tape
Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I laminated my helpers of course, but I found that blue painter's tape holds on pretty well, and doesn't leave residue. I may try the velcro dots though. I found them at Wal Mart last year, and the price was awesome.
Dixiecup is offline   Reply With Quote

1steduc8or

I have seen the velcro dots at Sams club
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

as well. They were in the office supplies section.

bluextreme

Nameplate Disgust Renewed!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Wow guys! Just when i decided for the first year to not use name tags at all,,,youve changed my mind.....ive gotten so tired of them tearing the tape off and looking crappy that I had decided not to use them...

as much as I velcro and hot glue everything else,,,never thought of the velcro dots or strips for the nameplates...

thanks, ill give the tags JUST ONE MORE TRY!!! lol..if it works this year its a winner!
bluextreme is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful tips! I am excited to get this little project underway now!

liketeaching1

Michael's price
Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I purchased my velcro dots at Michaels today. There were 75 sets in the package. It was $8.99 but I used my 40% coupon so it came to around $5. For that many dots it's at least three years worth of dots. Not bad and much cheaper than contact paper and less headache!
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

miss.anderson

what about for desks?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I love the velcro idea, but I have desks in my classroom rather than tables and I HATE moving them around to change their table groups (I did this once a month last year). Would it make sense to use the velcro and change the desk nameplates instead of moving the desks? I would then have to have them take everything out of their desks and move it to a new desk thought. Which do you think would be less of a pain?
miss.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

no name plates
Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Someone on proteacher last year made me have the lightbulb moment that I didn't need name plates at all (I have desks). I never even thought of it b/c every teacher in my school and all schools I've every visited use them.

I ended up buying those sturdy kind from Really Good Stuff, writing the kid's names on them, and not taking off the sticky paper. They just kept them in their desks and got them out when they needed them. LOVE IT! Now my desks are always clean- so much easier to wipe down, and the table groups feel more like tables.

If I had tables, I would store laminated number grids, alphabet strips, and laminated name plates in the center in their tubs. When I was going to teach K last year, that was my plan anyways.
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Transparencies
Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

work good too. I don't use an overhead projector anymore so I cut my transparency sheets to the same size as my nameplates and then taped the edges down with the plastic (electrical) tape in different colors. The kids can't pick it as easily and if they do, it doesn't look as crappy as quickly. Also, it doesn't leave a residue when you remove it.

With the transparency sheet on there, they can also use a dry erase marker write on it and it wipes right off. One of the things we do is use the marker boards to write sentences or words with the goal of using all the letters of the alphabet. The student can cross the letters off on the nameplate as they are used.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

miss.anderson

BookMuncher
Old 08-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Interesting... I never considered not having them at all...that would certainly make it easier to keep the desks clean!

I have a question about that though...in the beginning of the school year when the kids are just learning names, I found that they would use the name plates as a reminder, or for help spelling classmates' names. Do you find that that's been a problem at all for you?

bluextreme

Name strip word wall
Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Like i stated previously i did consider not using them. I found that since most of the info on the tag is up on the walls anyway that they tend to use the wall reference more frequently. Mostly because i model for them too, for test purposes (because i dont cover the information up) so having the name plates with the same info was not detrimental.

As far as them needing them as reminder for classmates names. One of the first activities I do the first week is,,,with a digital camera in hand, take a picture of every student,,,then i give students a sentence strip to write their name on. I leave a space on either side and attach a computer copy of their picture to it. I then use these as the first words on my word wall. This way they have a pic reference until they learn the names and faces together. *and of course the kids love to see their names and pics on the word wall...because while the other words come down as we learn them, their names and pics are there for the year.
bluextreme is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

names
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Miss anderson-- for the beginning when they are learning to write their names a lot using lower case, there are days when we just keep the tags sitting out on our desks all day. Also- I explained to the kids that when there is a substitute or visitor that they should always have them out. I mean, they do slide around a bit, but we don't keep them out too much and it's not like they're on the floor.

Also, my kids aren't at their desks much at all in the beginning, so they do most of their name learning through games and stuff like that.
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

miss.anderson

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Wow I LOVE the pictures on the word wall idea! That makes so much sense - I'm definitely going to do that this year! I am still up in the air about the name plates...but I'm thinking about some sort of combo...laminating them and attaching them with velcro...so then they could be away in their desks most of the time, but when they do need to take them out, they could stick them on with velcro.