How to keep track of lunch count - ProTeacher Community

dkd1173

dkd1173

How to keep track of lunch count
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just received an email saying that we will be now be responsible for giving the cafeteria a lunch count (how many kids are buying school lunch and which choice, or want a PBJ/salad). I had to do this when I first started teaching but haven't had to since then. I vaguely remember using some sort of chart where the kids stuck their name under their lunch choice using velcro. Any ideas of a way the students could independently select their choice, and then all I would need to do would be count up totals?

NCteacher

Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I laminated some construction paper, cut and taped it around 4 empty soup cans. I write the kids names on popsicle sticks and use a Vis a Vis to write the lunch choices on the cans. The kids come in and put their stick in the can that has their choice. It becomes a kids job to take all the sticks out in the afternoon and wipe off the cans- some will write the next day's choices on for me. I like those kids!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

AMac

I hate lunch count!!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use a pocket chart and laminate apples with the kids name on them. Since I taught 2nd grade, I would write the lunch choices out to the side on the chalkboard and the kids would move their apple to the correct row. I would then call out their names for each choice to make sure they really meant to choose what they chose. Our lunch people are really crabby and we had better get it right or our a55es get chewed out.

Thanks goodness, I don't have a homeroom anymore so I don't have to do lunch count.
AMac is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Really Good Stuff..
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Really Good Stuff has a magnetic lunch count set where the kids put their names under the correct choice. I had been taking the lunch count when I did attendance first thing in the morning, but I thought this would give the kids the chance to be more independent.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachinLV

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the side of a metal cabinet to take attendance and lunch count. I bought little shapes at the teaching store, than wrote names on the front, and put magnetic tape on the back. It is inexpensive and simple to make. The kids move their names right when they walk in the door. We don't have to show the kids' choices though, only if they are having hot lunch. You could have one section that says Lunch from Home and another section that says School Lunch A/School Lunch B. If you have 2 choices for lunch. Then you just need a way to communicate to your kids what Choice A and B are for the day. Older kids could do this, but I don't know about 1st or 2nd grade. Good Luck.

TeachinLV is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

lunch count
Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After I take attendence, I say "raise your hand if your brought you lunch" I subtract that from the number of students present and write down on the lunch report. Students don't get a choice of menus so it's easy.

Last edited by ecsmom; 08-03-2007 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: sp
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

One of our daily tasks is to sign in
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I made a half sheet chart using spreadsheet. I have their name and a column for each lunch choice...main meal, pbj, packed, hoagie. Students are responsible to sign in each day. One of the jobs in my class is "Lunch Count" this helper totals the columns each day and delivers it to the cafeteria. After the first week or so, no one ever forgets.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

mjh96

Old 08-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I made and laminated cards (about 4inches by 6 inches) showing each lunch choice. I put them up right next to my door with Stikki Clips. Each child has a clothes pin with his/her number on it. As part of our morning routine, the children must place their clothes pin on their lunch choice for the day (there is a card for "home lunch" for children who bring...so everyone still has to do lunch count). WHen I fill out the attendance, I can quickly glance over and count how many are ordering each selection.
mjh96 is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Bulletin Board
Old 08-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just made a bulletin board to do my lunch count. Kid's put the color of their choice in their box and I can easily count how many people want salad, how many want choice 1, etc. My 4th grade teacher did this and I still remember it.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

PATeacher45

Lunch Count
Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach 4th grade and do the exact same thing Mr. K does. Makes things very easy in the morning because the kids take care of everything!
PATeacher45 is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvpooh

Another Idea
Old 08-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

take the students pictures-put magnetic tape on the back-use small portion of dry erase board
three choices:
Lunch Box
Choice 1
Choice 2
student places picture next to their choice, just count and send to cafeteria, this also helps with attendance
iluvpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

AL

lunch count
Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

At my school, it is critical to the cafeteria staff that we get the lunch count correct. The kids have three choices: regular tray, salad bar, and brought lunch. If someone signs up for salad bar, but changes their mind (or forgets) and gets into the regular tray line, someone from our cafeteria staff will confront me. The numbers HAVE to match up to the morning lunch count that is sent to the office. So....I created a sign in sheet for the kids and I take it with me to the cafeteria to do a "check" and make sure that everyone is in the right lunch line. I will attach it to this post. Hope it helps someone!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lunch Choice Form.doc (38.5 KB, 195 views)
AL is offline   Reply With Quote

scrappergirl

Lunch Choices
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Because I have similar requirements as AL, I also have a sheet that I created with our lunch choices on them (We have 6 different choices). I keep it on a clipboard and the kids check off their choice when they enter in the morning. I can take it with me and when I kid tells me but I didn't order hot dogs, I ordered pizza I can quickly check my sheet.
scrappergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

scrappergirl

How do you check out classroom library books?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What procedures do you use for checking out books from your class library? What about the books that children take for their book boxes?

I thought about putting a library card in every book. Students would take out the card and then place it in a pocket chart next to their names. Do you think this would work? I have a rather large classroom library and I want to keep better track of my books.
scrappergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ecteach85

my lunch count process
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The form I'm trying for lunch count this year is attached. I don't know how well it will work, but we're going to work on helping them gain more independence with this. Students will write their names under their selection for the day.

Before we did lunch count either at breakfast or when attendance was taken. I think this is a better option for our class. With so many not being readers at this point, I've included pictures and words for each day's choices. I'm still working on locating pictures to go with our menu.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lunch Count Form.doc (272.5 KB, 164 views)
ecteach85 is offline   Reply With Quote