Classroom Jobs- 5th grade - ProTeacher Community

got2luvkids

Classroom Jobs- 5th grade
Old 08-04-2007, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am using Mini-Economy for my 5th grade class this year. I am a first year teacher and would like some advice on some of the student jobs I could use in the classroom (Paper passer, Messenger, Electricion (lights), Technician (computers), etc... Is it better for each student to have a job? How often should I rotate? Every 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks? I was thinking about having them apply for a job since we are doing mini-economy. I would love your feedback!! Thanks in advance..

Also, my theme for the rooming is outdoors/camping. I am posting a bulletin board with classroom jobs labeled "Campground Staff" Any creative names for these jobs to fit the theme? I may just have to have generic names I'd love to hear from you!

got2luvkids is offline   Reply With Quote

kblair

Student Jobs
Old 08-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my second year teaching 5th grade (previously taught 4th for 4 yrs). I have a "classroom managers" chart in my room for the student jobs. The chart list the title of the job and job description. On the right side of the chart I have self-adhesive velcro circles and attach popsicle sticks with the students names on them by the specific job.
The students love the jobs and take them quite seriously. It gives them responsibility and I tell them that they are REALLY helping me out by doing their job (they love that!)

I rotate the names every 2 weeks to ensure that every student experiences each job throughout the year. (I don't have my students apply for the job because we have student helpers for the office, media center etc. and they go through an interview process for that). But applying for a job sounds like an excellent idea!!!

You can purchase the velcro at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's or any hardward store.

Good Luck!
kblair is offline   Reply With Quote

Beachcomber

Cafeteria Helpers
Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This past year I had cafeteria helpers. They had to apply for the posted positions. They had to be trained and rotated every 9 weeks. They loved it. I had Table Polishers, Floor Cleaners and a Health Inspector. The Health Inspector used an inspection sheet and a clip board. I never had to oversee anything. They were great. They took it very serious.

I also chose a student as my special Teacher Assistant each week. They got to help out with anything I needed. They ran errand, help pass papers, led the line, etc. If they were busy, they got to choose a replacement.

In the past, I have had a job chart and rotated jobs weekly. I have found this set up to be more manageable for me.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote

tcheer9

changes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I let kids keep there jobs unitll they decide to change.. or are deemed not fullfilling their responsibilities.. Then they have to find a replacement
tcheer9 is offline   Reply With Quote

lorrclar

Mini economy
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done a mini economy for several years. I had my students turn in job applications for the jobs they wanted every 4 weeks. I tried to have a job for everyone. Knowing that some students wouldn't apply I had jobs that could be not done or done by a volunteer. I had accountants who took care of entering deposits and debits on EXCEL. I also had bank tellers who cashed paychecks, took deposits and withdraws. I also had bookkeepers who collected the daily paper work in a folder with students names on it in which they checked off. I also had a classroom helper (went to the office, lunch, pledge leader), infraction officer (kept a record of classroom infractions which considered fines); classroom janitor (if needed a hallway janitor for coat/backpack area); desk janitor (checked desks weekly); computer technician; librarian; library monitor (kept a check out list for those who wanted to go to the library during class time and checked AR test scores for Book Tag); dishwasher (washed the cups we used for water and got the bucket ready for after lunch clean-up) and a substitute. They were paid weekly and the amount depended on the responsibility. We ended the year with an auction in which they could spend their money. I also encourage the children to be entrepreneurs and have a business to sell things or services (like desk cleaning or how to make something) during our community time.
Oh, to begin the economy we had presentations for the name of our community and classroom money. Students were given guidelines to follow for the presentations. They were paid for doing this and the "winner" got more!
Have fun with your economy!

lorrclar is offline   Reply With Quote

khughesteach

camp jobs
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love your idea! I am also doing a camping theme and was also having trouble coming up with my job titles. What are you going to use for your bb to go along with the jobs?

I have about 10 jobs in my room and I rotate them weekly. My students really enjoy getting a new job each week and it ensures that everyone gets the good jobs at least once!
khughesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kos324

Classroom economy
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also doing a classroom economy this year and was trying to find a way to keep track of student debits/credits. Would you be willing to share your EXCEL spreadsheet???
kos324 is offline   Reply With Quote

jgirl

Old 08-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Does anyone have a 'Wanted' poster to use for jobs? I lke the idea of having the kids apply also.
jgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
lorrclar
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM
This message has been deleted by lorrclar.