Books with no Guided Reading Level - ProTeacher Community

SAMSID03

Books with no Guided Reading Level
Old 08-04-2007, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new 3rd grade teacher and I am busily trying to get my classroom library into shape. I have a large pile of books that I cannot find the guided reading level for. Alot of these books are older books and have something on the back of them that reads: RL 5.5 can I assume that is Reading Level 5.5 as in halfway through 5th grade? Then some of the books have a triangle on the back of them with a letter in it. I don't think this is the guided reading level because it doesn't really match up with other books at the same level I have found. I am aware of typing a page into word and retrieving the Flesch-Kincaid Level but how does that convert to the Guided Reading Level. I am totally clueless because I have been a high school math teacher for the last five years. My district eliminated my job and because I also am certified elementary I was able to take the job of retiring 3rd teacher. Any help on how to level these odd and end books to include in the classroom library would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

SAMSID03 is offline   Reply With Quote

bams4

Here are some things to try.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In most cases, you are right that the Level 5.5 would represent mid year of 5th grade. (This is how accelerated reader books are often leveled.)

The attachment is a correlation chart from Reading a-z. You can use it to match up Fountas and Pinnel guided reading levels or whatever your school district uses.

This website includes a search engine to find the level for book titles.

http://registration.beavton.k12.or.us/lbdb/default.htm
Attached Files
File Type: doc correlation_chart.doc (70.5 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by bams4; 08-05-2007 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: typos
bams4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kread

For Guided Reading book levels
Old 08-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try the book: Fountas and Pinnell Leveled Book List k-8 It's a great resource for almost any book out there used in the elementary classroom. You might try some of their other books on Guided Reading. It's a great resource for understanding the whole reading process, especially ... Guiding Readers and Writers .

You will find Third Graders to be challenging and lots of fun...a very delightful age. Not babies, but not yet grown up and "full of themselves". They're full of curiosity and love learning and most will really appreciate the attention and help you can give them on their way. Good Luck with your new position.

Last edited by Kread; 08-05-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Kread is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Sort by genres
Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use Accelerated Reading so many of my books are leveled. I've always had a great number of unleveled books and they never got read. Last February, after reading Reading Esssentials, I decided to label by genre and not focus so much on the leveled books. We started reading a lot more, and I think the students enjoyed a wider variety of books! This year, I will begin the year with instruction on how to select a "just right book." Then, through individual conferences I'll help students monitor their selections.
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

melonjar

same here
Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had the same problem.

Found
http://books.atozteacherstuff.com/leveled-books/

This helped quite a bit. The others that I STILL didn't find I read and put them in a level that I thought appropriate.

Good luck!

melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote