Help

ARCHIVE

poetry folder vs. notebook

>

KT1st

poetry folder vs. notebook
Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone tell me why they choose to have the students cut and paste weekly poems into a notebook rather than just use a folder and hole punch each poem to be added? I'm trying to decide if I should use a folder or a notebook. Silly question I know. Did anyone try both ways and have any insight?

KT1st is offline   Reply With Quote

jerzgirl

Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done both, and the cut and paste works for me. The folder was difficult for them to manage and time-consuming. With the notebooks, I also would have the kids write responses, make connections, write favorite words in the poem, etc. (not for every poem, but many) They would use the page on the left to illustrate the poem, visualizing. When I type the poem up, I can usually get four on a page, depending on poem length, and I use the paper cutter to cut them, so that really all the kids have to do is glue-much faster and no trash.
jerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

K/1 Teacher

folders
Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use folders with the prongs. At the beginning of the year I put those clear page protectors in each child's poetry folder. Then each time they have a new poem that's ready to go into the folder, I place it into the sleeve. Some first graders can do this themselves, but it's a little difficult. I don't mind spending the time doing it for them, though. It becomes their favorite thing to read and is very durable. They read them each day during reading workshop, hey bring them home often to reread poems and bring them home at the end of the year.
K/1 Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda

Binders
Old 08-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used notebooks with the prongs for a long time....but last year I bought them 3 ring binders. It was so much easier for them to put the poem in. I like for them to have it typed and they illustrate. That way at the end of the year they have a very nice book of poems that they can take home and read to their family!
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

cathybev

poetry
Old 08-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The last few years I have used folders for my kids to store their poems in. Most had trouble getting them in easily, they often wrinkled the pages, and many of the folders were a mess by the end of the year. This year I'm going to try binders. I also am going to have them keep the binders in their book bins or another separate container, instead of in their desk.

cathybev is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

I use...
Old 08-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the black and white compostion books. Paste on the left and illustrate on the right. This book holds up and the kids love to read it and are so proud to take it home at the end of the year.
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Old 08-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've always used folders with the prongs. After modeling a few times, the only reminder the class usually needs is to put the paper back side up when adding it to the folder.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

cpbirch

3 ring binders
Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For those who use the 3-ring binders, how do you keep the pages from ripping out? I tried them one year and no matter how much we modeled, so many turns of the pages and they were ripping those holes faster then I could patch them! I have also tried the page protectors and I was the one putting poems in and then we couldn't go back to highlight a word or blend or whatever if the teaching moment came up later. What I have found is if you reinforce a skill say on poem #10, they often go back on their own and find it in other poems and want to highlight or circle it. I think I will try the marbled composition books this year for poems.

Carol/Maine
cpbirch is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

me too
Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm gonna do the composition book as well. I use a binder for my BEE book and have a hard enough time keeping their behavior chart and other information in there because the holes rip.I like what one of the previous posters said (sorry can't see who) about gluing the poems on the left and letting them illustrate on the right. Awesome idea, thanks!
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

tammych

Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My plan is to use a computer generated page in a 3 prong folder. I don't have a copy because I got the idea from my daughter's teacher last year. Anyway the top is blank to glue/staple the poem. Beneath that there are some lines for a response. I liked this because/ It reminds me of/ ... I will have a poster of response starters hanging and a copy in the front of their book to refer to. There is also a smiley scale for a rating. On the left page they can illustrate. I am adding a table of contents for them to fill in as we go along. I will add some lined paper in the back for any writing or activity that we may do. Maybe they could add poems that they find back there. I teach second.

tammych is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Poetry book
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've always used a three prong plastic folder and computer printed copies that the kids illustrated. We would also look for various things in the poems such as short vowel words, etc.

However, this year I'm going to change to the marbled composition books. I'll still computer print the copy and let them paste it on the left side. That will leave the right side to:
  • illustrate
  • look for phonics patterns
  • look for vowel sounds
  • write a response or mental image, etc.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Poetry Notebooks
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've always used the three prong folders in the past, but this year I'm going to try the black and white composition books. Many of the children had trouble getting the pages in making it very time consuming.
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Poetry book cover
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What are you going to title your poetry book and put on the front cover? I'm going to print out a cover and place on the front of the composition books. I'd like something neat and interesting.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jerzgirl

Title
Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I call mine "Poetry Pages" and have clipart with a bookworm reading.
jerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

jezzy987

poems
Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

this may be a silly quesiton, but where to you get your poems or how do you decide which to use?
jezzy987 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT1st

jezzy987
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

check out this previous thread--it had great poetry info. and poems to use.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ghlight=poetry
KT1st is offline   Reply With Quote