Give me Five - ProTeacher Community

Jen

Give me Five
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please can someone tell me the 5 exact directions for this attention getter. I know there's eyes watching, ears listening but not sure of all 5. I want to make a hand chart and put them on. Thanks.
Jen

Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Give me five!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

These are the ones we use at our school.

1. Eyes on the speaker
2. Mouth quiet
3. Being still
4. Hands free
5. Listening
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

Brigid

Rules for Good Listening--Give Me Five
Old 10-06-2005, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a poster that I purchased for a couple of dollars at the teacher supply store that has a boy happily sitting in his seat in learning mode. The title says Rules for Good Listening: "Eyes are Watching, Ears are Listening, Lips are closed, Hands are Still, Feet are Quiet". I always say to my kids, "Now let's see who is sitting like the boy in the picture!" They perk right up--with a smile and all (just like the boy in the picture). Sometimes I sing it: Eyes are watching, Ears are listening, Lips are closed, Hands are still, Feet are really quiet, you should really try it--listening well, listening well! It is to the tune of "Frere Jacques" (Are You Sleeping?). My students respond to this very well. Also, when it is particularly noisy, such as when we are having a party or doing art, I sing, "Everybody, put your hand up, put your hand up, put your hand up. Everybody, put your hand up, put your hand up, up, up!". This works so much better than raising my voice over the raucous. I hope this is what you were looking for.
Brigid is offline   Reply With Quote

jennmsu93

my give me five ...
Old 10-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the give me five that i use is ...

1. tells me eyes are watching
2. tells me ears are listening
3. tells me mouths are closed (or quiet)
4. tells me hands are to yourself
5. tells me that your heart cares

i only started using it this week and so far it is working. the children are actually starting to recite it with, along with raising their fingers as i go along!

good luck!
jennmsu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
MaryP

MaryP

Old 10-14-2005, 11:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I made up my own five for my K class.

1. Sit criss-cross-applesauce!
2. Sit up tall
3. Hands folded in your lap
4. Eyes on the teacher
5. Listening ears open

I also dismiss groups from one place to another by colors. Encourage the first group to line up "quiet as mice"; then encourage each successive group to see if they can do it even more quietly. Sometimes I close my eyes and ask loudly, "Where have all my kindergarteners gone? I can't hear anything?" They always giggle, but keep moving quietly.

aussieteache

aussieteache

5 rules
Old 10-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

eyes on speaker
lips closed
ears listening
sit up straight
hands and feet quiet
Tortoise

Tortoise

Give me 5
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Another version of Give me 5 for grades preK-3:
What does Good Listening look like? or How to be a good listener:

Say to the students that to be a good listener, you have to use 5 things: your eyes, ears, mouth, brain, and whole body. Say that each part has a job to do. Present the five things and explain what each one means, as below. Show them a poster with a hand and words or picture symbols for each body part. Have them recite chorally. Ask them questions about each part. Review the list and ask if they are ready to give you five. After teaching the kids this system, all you have to ask is for them to give you five. Hold up your hand like a 5 and the kids do the same. Refer to the poster as necessary.

1. Eyes: Looking at speaker
2. Ears: Turned on, tuned in and listening to what speaker is saying
3. Mouth: Closed, "zipped" shut; Your ears can't work if your mouth is on
4. Brain: Paying attention to what is being said and thinking about what the speaker is saying; making pictures in your mind
5. Whole Body: Sitting still without tapping, wiggling, or moving around; hands and feet to self.