Help

New Teachers

Attention Getters!

>

ash2007

Attention Getters!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know there are many ways to get the attention of your class. I would like a variety of different ideas on how everyone gets their students attention. I know this is vital that I implement it at the beginning of the year.

ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Busy_Lil_Bee

hands on top
Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i think i found this idea on this site. it's my first year and today was the second day. this has been quick and helps get their attention as well as drop everything in their hands. you simply say "hands on top." students place both hands on top of their head and resond "this means stop."

another teacher down the hall holds up 3 fingers- stop,look, and listen. if the "hands on top" gets old, i'm going to switch to this.

i also have a jar of marbles and each table can earn marbles. when the kids hear those marbles rattling- most of them stop and do exactly what i ask!
Busy_Lil_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jillybeans2nd

Attention Getters
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1 2 3 Eyes on me

or

Bubble gum, lollipop, we've been talking, now lets stop.
(Use hand motions like your hands are mouths when you say bubble gum and pretend to lick a lollipop for that part.)

Clap a small pattern and have them clap back.

snap snap clap clap until the whole class is joining in the clap clap snap snap

Give me 5 with your hand up (and they put their hand up, too). I teach them that the five parts mean eyes on me, ears on me, feet still, mouths quiet and finally hands down.

That's all I can think of for now.
Jillybeans2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
lovingrd3

lovingrd3

attention getters
Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do the clap pattern also.

Turn the lights off (having taught them that when this happens to "freeze" and look at teacher).

If the kids are just talking amongst themselves while you're waiting for their attention, begin talking very quietly and continue along with your lesson so that only the listeners are able to follow along until everyone catches on to listening.

Hold up your hand and it signals students to stop talking and hold their hand up also.

lenarmc

Dinner Bell
Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I purchased a dinner bell from Dollar Tree about three years ago. The students are trained to know that it means stop what you're doing, look at the teacher, and listen.

We also have a school-wide attention-getter
Teacher: 1,2,3 eyes on me
Student: 1,2 eyes on you (point to the teacher.

lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

bams4

some more
Old 08-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"Freeze like a popsicle " or "Freeze like an icicle". Say what you need to as far as directions then say "Thaw" or "Melt".

Use a whole class signal. We have a school wide signal for a quiet sign that is the symbol for OK.

This one came from a post on PT last year and is good to use in the cafeteria or for something different. Say SALAMI (Stop and Look at Me Immediately)
bams4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

call and response
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

this topic was a quite lengthy thread on the Busy Board not too long ago. here's the link: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=49148

there are some really great ideas!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

Tia
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for attaching that link. There are some great suggestions!
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

CLD

Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

what grade are you teaching? i am teaching 5th grade, and the lights off thing doesnt work too well. i used a stop watch. i would say "i need your attention", or "voices off" and i would allow a few seconds for them to stop what they were doing and find me, but if it was taking way too long or they simply were ignoring me, i would hold up the stop watch and keep it runnning until i had everyones attention, i left it running even when one student had his/her back to me and was not listening. i added to the time every time, and by friday they owed me that time at recess. it really worked, as soon as i went to grab it kids would start to quiet down and tell each other to be quiet. (kinda funny sometimes). some weeks they would owe 5 min and some maybe just a few seconds, but i held them to it no matter the amount of time.
CLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Elaina

Elaina

something I have seen....
Old 08-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The teacher next door to my cooperating teacher has an attention getter where she goes "bump ba da dump bump" and the kids all look at her and go "bump bump"

(I dont know if I spelled that right! But you should get the idea! Its like a tune she follows!)

Kerri M

Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Teacher: "Macaroni and Cheese"
Students: "Everybody freeze!"

my kindergarteners absolutely LOVE it!
Kerri M is offline   Reply With Quote
Miss Aussie

Miss Aussie

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have had success with jingle bells (the sleigh bells that you have in the music room) from early primary right through to 6th grade. When I jingle them it means hands on heads and lips closed. With the older grades I award table points or marbles for the jar as an incentive to be the first table giving me their attention. This way they work as teams to be the first listening. I find it very effective and the table points are their focus and they don't feel 'babyish' putting their hands on their heads.

Hope this helps
Cheers
joojee

joojee

Tons!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The website teachertipster.com has a whole list called "Silly-brations!" There are short, awesome video tips, and some free printables there too. The "tipster" is hilarious too.