Help

ARCHIVE

Questions about using love and logic

>

glo

Questions about using love and logic
Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read the book Teaching With Love and Logic and I really would like to implement it in my classroom. How well did it work in your classroom? Did you notice a difference in the way your class behaved compared to your old method of classroom management? Did you have any problems using love and logic? Did you give out any type of rewards? Thanks for your insight on this method and helping me get even more excited about using this method?

glo is offline   Reply With Quote

Debbie

Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school adopted this plan last year. Many of the strategies I felt I already used. So far I haven't noticed a huge change-- but I've seen a lot of kids go to other classrooms for "recovery". (tee hee)Actually that is truly effective. But, I really like it. It's very positive. I think once the school consistently starts to work that way, we'll see a larger change.IIf you can, try to go to one of their seminars. They're really a great inspiration.
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

nuhusker98

L & L
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I started teaching at my current school 6 years ago, I was thrown into the whole love and logic system. I too, believed that I used many of their strategies under a different name. It was only when I went through the training that I truly understood and appreciated the techniques that go along with the program. Here are my favorites:
1. A child comes to you with a tattle about another student. You reply, "I'm sorry he/she made you feel this way. What are you going to do about it?" This throws the responsibility of dealing with tattletales to the students. Of course, if there is something major that happens, like hitting, etc...you might want to get more involved.

2. Homework, homework, homework...again, the student does not turn in the homework. When talking with the student, with empathy inquire about why said homework didn't get done. Student says, I had a baseball game/recital/forgot. You say, "Boy that sure sounds like you must have had a busy night. What do you think you are going to do tonight to get your homework done?" If student doesn't have a suggestion, say, "Would you like to know how other students have handled this problem?" Then if student says yes, you can offer suggestions to a strategy. I once had a student whose house was very noisy at night, extended family staying with them, so he suggested that he be allowed to do his homework when I opened the classroom door at 7:45 (school doesn't officially start until 8:25). I probably would have offered this option, but HE solved his problem instead of ME.

3. Broken record. I use this one a lot with my 4 year old. With him, my broken record is, "I'm sorry you feel that way." So, when I say time to take a bath, and he says, "OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOO, mommy, not right now!", I reply with "I'm sorry you feel that way." Over, and over and over again. Any kind of statement of I don't want to do what you are asking me to do, I respond with "I'm sorry you feel that way." In the classroom, I usually use, "Oh dear..." So, a conversation might look this way:
Student: Mrs. ___, I forgot my pencil.
Me: Oh dear...
Student: I can't do my work without it.
Me: Oh dear...
Student: I think Susie took it.
Me: Oh dear
Conversation continues until student comes up with a solution to the problem.

Love and Logic has taken so much stress out of my life, and allowed my students to take a more active role in governing their behavior and making responsible choices. I went to the annual conference in Colorado Springs 3 summers ago, and can tell you if you ever get a chance to attend, it is WELL worth it. I also suggest reading any books by Betsy Geddes. Her behavior strategies tie in nicely with Jim and Charles Faye.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me!

P.S. I also use love and logic with my husband. "Would you rather load the dishwasher or help with son's bath?" He HATES it!
nuhusker98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peggy

Love and Logic
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

nuhusker98

Thanks for sharing--I have read the book, unfortunately am not able to get to any training. Do you have any other great "sayings" you picked up or advice?
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote

glo

Thanks for responses on Love and Logic
Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your responses they were helpful. I sort of tried it during summer school when the kids were talking and not working. I said, " I'm sorry you didn't hear or understand my directions about no talking." Right away they stopped and were quiet the rest of the time. I even had a child with extreme ADDHD and no meds make the correct choices on his own when I went to him. I would love to attend one of their seminars. I think I will try it at home on my family also to see how well it goes.
Nuhusker98 thanks for all the info and for letting me ask more questions to you if needed. I am kind of excited to try it out when we start back to school. Debbie thanks too.

glo is offline   Reply With Quote

VCUTeach

Llloovvvee
Old 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the program. I use it, however not exclusively, in my classroom. I feel that it helps students learn to be problem solvers, learn basic socail skills, and how to show respect at an early age. I have been praised for my classroom climate often and would atribute it to the ways of love and logic!
VCUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

nuhusker98

One more
Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One more technique we've been taught to use, especially with those tough kids that you don't quite feel like you're getting through to is "noticing". Noticing is not using compliments, it is just as it says. Noticing something about said child. It's also not about noticing improvements on academics. For example, let's say that your tough one is a little girl. She enters the room, and you notice that her hair is done in pigtails today. You say, "_______, I see that you've done your hair in pigtails today." You don't say that they look nice, or that they make her look nice, just notice. Pick out one thing each day that you notice about the student. Remember, don't use something like, I notice you got 100% on your math test. Just stick to things about the person. I notice you are wearing a belt today, I notice you are smiling this morning, I notice that you have bears on your socks...Soon, you will start to build rapport with the child that is based on the child themself, not their performance in school, not their parents, not their siblings. After a couple of days, they may engage you in conversation about the things you have noticed. It makes the tough kids come around to be on your side. They may realize that you are taking the time to notice them, not their behavior or their struggles in school, so when you need to ask them to do something for you, they may be more apt to cooperate. This strategy has worked wonders for me in the past...and I've had my share of doozies!
nuhusker98 is offline   Reply With Quote

great2be

Love and Logic
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is a wonderful program! And, yes the training seminar was great. It works well if implemented with consistency (especially throughout the school). I listened to the cd's in my car and at home - they are insightful and funny...enjoyable learning - that's what it's suppose to be right?
great2be is offline   Reply With Quote