Help

ARCHIVE

What do you wear to school?

>

scraphappy

What do you wear to school?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've reached that point in summer vacation where I start making all kinds of plans to be "more professional." I have visions of regularly scheduled haircuts and manicures. I plan to (and sometimes do) buy outfits more suited for the business world than a classroom of 8 year olds who like to paint, glue and hug.

Yet, by October I am back to comfortable clothes and a ponytail.

Some teachers at my school wear pant suits...others wear stretch pants and thematic tshirts/sweatshirts. I'm somewhere in the middle, but I tend to just wear pants and simple shirts with flat shoes. How about all of you?

Any tips to keeping that professional look throughout the year?

scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergeek

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always do the same thing. I plan to be more professional looking and end up wearing my normal, black or kahki pants. The same old slides and shirts the don't come up in the back or too far down in the front and usually 3/4 lenght sleevs.
teachergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I'm the same...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

only I tend to wear skirts instead of pants (it's the chubby part of me, don't like pants, skirts hide a multitude of sins.. )

skirts, shirts and my Crocs...

Hair is short.. swing type cut.. so just straight nothing to fix...
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach middle school, so I don't have to worry about the messiness of teaching quite as much (most days...). I wear either skirts or dress pants, blouses or fitted sweaters, and I alternate between a low heel and higher heel (depending on the outfit and my feet!)

The big joke with my kids is that I wear black almost exclusively. One week last year on a Wednesday, one of my more observant students said, "Ms. Drum, do you realize you've worn a black turtleneck sweater every day this week?"

"Have I? Well it's not like it's the same sweater!"

"Oh, I know that - they're all slightly different cuts. But it's still a black turtle neck sweater three days in a row. How about a little variety? Some colour?"

The next day, I wore a grey turtleneck sweater. Tee hee.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

kejmrj

Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I try to wear a skirt (same reason as yesteach ), short sleeve dress shirts (too hot in my school) and as comfortable a dress shoe that I can find. I tend to wear my hair in a ponytail everyday...can't handle it down more then 5 minutes. I guess that part isn't to professional, but I haven't found a hairdo that works.

kejmrj is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

My style of clothing
Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For back-to-school clothes, I wear capri pants (a lot while it's still hot) with short sleeve shirts. Every now and then I'll wear a skirt or dress pants. I'd say I'm middle of the road at my school - not too dressy and not too casual. I hardly wear jeans, sweats or pony tails.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

mamahawk

Same here
Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too tend towards slacks, shirts, comfy shoes. But Fridays we go to Mass so that's a dress or skirt day. Monday - Thursday if I'm wearing a dress or skirt the kids always ask who's visiting or are you going to a meeting?
mamahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

tf

Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wear lots of blazers, tailored jackets/sweaters - then I can wear comfortable shoes and pants or capris and still feel like I look professional.
tf is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

school dress
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wear black or cream colored slacks and a nice sweater or blouse about 75% of the time. I have to wear a dress or skirt on chapel days, and sometimes I'll wear one on non-chapel days. Sometimes I wear dressy capris and a nice cotton shirt. I wear high heels 90% of the time. I would never wear stretchpants or T-shirts even if we didn't have a dress code. When I worked for a school that allowed jeans, I did wear dark jeans with a blazer or jacket and leather boots or heels sometimes. But I wouldn't have worn a T-shirt with jeans. My hair is either down or partially up in a clip. I try not to wear a ponytail 'cause it looks too young.

My outfits tend to be this style (though outlet and Ross purchased )

Dress

Pants/Top

Capri

When we're messy, I just throw on a "smock shirt" just like the kids. But I've only taught 5th grade and up. Don't know what I'd do with younger ones.
Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used to live in jumpers-but they are getting harder to find. I usually wear a button down shirt and khakis. I don't usually wear sweaters and jackets because I get too hot.

Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I tend to dress really professional. After 6 years of pre-school and being on the floor, I kind of like getting "dressed up" for work. I usually wear pant suits, dresses, or suits. It's funny, but I always look as good as the Vice Principal! I am the only one who dresses this way in my school, but I guess it's just my personality!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I tend to dress really professional. After 6 years of pre-school and being on the floor, I kind of like getting "dressed up" for work. I usually wear pant suits, dresses, or suits. It's funny, but I always look as good as the Vice Principal! I am the only one who dresses this way in my school, but I guess it's just my personality!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Strict dress code
Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My school has a pretty strict dress code for teachers, so I tend to dress very professionally. We cannot wear jeans, sleeveless shirts, t-shirts, or capris. Shoes cannot be flip-flop style or sneakers. We can wear sandals, but they have to have a dressy look to them. The men teachers have to have a tie.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

dogs

Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I always say I will dress different but I just can't get out of the same old stuff. It starts at the end of the year when I say I am going to lose 10 pounds and it doesn't happen. The closer it gets to back to school and the more money I spend on decorating my room the less I want to spend on clothes. I always where black or khaki pants and button up shirts. Seriously, does a person really need 6 pairs of khaki pants? I have an obsession!
dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

denisealice

clothing
Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi,

I tend to wear jumpers and skirts/tops - the thing most important to me is the length - I teach first grade and when I'm bending over- bending down I want to remain modest...so the longer the better!
denisealice is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I like to wear nice, dressy capris or slacks and nice, button up blouses. I usually wear sandals in warm weather.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mab

school clothes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I wear navy, black, or khaki dress pants and a short sleeve polo shirt with my New Balance sneakers (feet and back problems).
mab is offline   Reply With Quote

tammych

Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

No jeans, capris, sleeveless, opentoes, sneakers allowed.
I wear dockers in navy, tan, or black or dress slacks. I very rarely wear skirts because of the panty hose, which are also required.
tammych is offline   Reply With Quote

GreatGrin

casual here
Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Oh how I miss wearing skirts to school! Now that I am working with special needs, I dont dare (many times I am involved in time out interventions, and a skirt would be a huge problem)!

Khakis, shirts with camis (so there is no indecent exposure) and layers as much as possible (I hate being hot, and the rooms in our school range from hot to freezing).

We dont have a dress code yet, but there is rumor of one coming. As of now, jeans are frowned upon except for paydays, spirit days, and field trips.
GreatGrin is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Well, this year we are doing uniforms, so I am just wearing the uniform tops along with the kids (a variety of school shirts is our uniform). I wear jeans or skirts on the bottom, sometimes pants. Our school is super laid back, so I like knowing what to wear each day. I almost always have a ponytail too. Unfortunately, I am not one to demonstrate professionalism, with the exception of the fact that I do not wear tank tops, and my clothes are always clean and nice- lol!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

CookieGirl

Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm entering my third year of teaching and my first year of teaching kindergarten. Up to this point I've mostly worn dress pants, heels, and a nice top. Sometimes I'll wear skirts. Now that I'll be teaching kindergarten, I'm beginning to re-think the dress pants and the heels. I'm still pretty young so I enjoy shopping at Express and The Limited and my pants aren't the cheapest (about $50-$70). I'll probably stick to what I've always worn until I get paint or glue spilled on me! You think I would have learned after teaching preschool for 4 years!
CookieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kyteacher

shorts ...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It's always knee-length shorts and capris for me until the shorts season runs out (which is always a sad thing). Crocs are the shoes of choice. When warm weather runs out I usually switch to khakis, khakis, and more khakis.

I would prefer to wear fun pajamas every day!
kyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

denisealice

scrubs
Old 08-08-2007, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My friend always thought that during her kinder days she would have preferred to wear cute scrubs - easy to wash and easy to wear!
denisealice is offline   Reply With Quote

Ena

Scrubs?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Wow! This is so weird! I just ordered 3 scrubs tops! I am having monkeys as my theme. I went on line and found three really cute ones. It seems that I am always carring something around. Scrubs have just the perfect pockets!!! I didn't order the pants yet. I thought I would see how the tops go with admin. etc. What do you think about colorful scrub sets for primary teachers?
Ena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekla

uniforms
Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

we wear uniforms from Monday thru Thursday, Fri.-washday
Tekla is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Clothes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Casual, but professional.

We don't have a dress code, but tennis shoes are a no-no,and so are jeans except for Fridays.

In the fall and spring I usually wear capris and flat sandals with some type of top. I'm one that wears ::gasp:: tank tops. Most of the teachers in my district do. As long as your bra isn't showing, I don't know why that is a problem. Admin wears them too--not spaghetti straps,not things you'd work out in, but nice sleeveless shirts.

In the winter it's usually khakis or similar material pants with a variety of tops.

I get a lot of my clothes from New York and Company.
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

danateach93

Re: What do you wear to school?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I dress for comfort but try to look nice. I hardly ever wear skirts because I usually end up on the floor reading w/someone. I do tend to wear my hair up (I am paranoid about lice )

I wear capris & tops (not sleeveless - I have flabby arms )

We have a problem at my school with low riding pants - i have no interest in your underwear - & tops that show your belly. How sad that these are what some teachers wear. I am fearful that the admin. will start cracking down & those of us who dress somfortable but professional & modest will pay the price.

Does anyone else have this problem at their school?
danateach93 is offline   Reply With Quote

jhteach

danateach93
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I used to work at a middle school a few years ago where there were many teachers in their late 20's and early 30's. They definitely had some interesting outfits. I often wondered if they were going bar hopping after work. They wore tight pants (low-rise), high heels, and low cut tops. We were allowed to wear jeans, but these teachers had the faded fringed bottoms and some were so long, they were walking on the bottoms (I think this style is gone now...I hope?). You are probably wondering why the principal allowed this. She would send general emails to watch the length of skirts and to make sure we were dressing "professionally." That didn't do a whole lot of good. Working there made me feel like I was back in high school.

I now work at a school where the majority of staff dresses casually professional. We all know teachers aren't rolling in the dough and shopping for professional clothes can really be a challenge. Just found out we have a new dress code for employees. I heard no Khakis! That's about half my wardrobe! Guess I'll find out next week what the real deal is!
jhteach is offline   Reply With Quote

danateach93

jhteach
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

we also had the frayed bottom jeans - we also had girls wearing t-shirts that were way too tight & their bellies were sticking out over the top of their pants & under their shirts. YECHHHH We called it a muffin top -
danateach93 is offline   Reply With Quote