Painted cinderblock walls - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

ellenalesa

Painted cinderblock walls
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was told it's tough to get posters, etc. to stick to this surface. I had heard hot glue gun works, but not sure I want to ask the principal - I"m a new hire.

Any suggestions?

thanks...

ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

cinderblocks
Old 08-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I worked in a school with cinderblocks and it was really tough to get stuff to stay. I remember having an awesome display for the hallway and it kept falling down! I finally hot glued it, but then some of the glue was tough to get off.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

LoneStarTeach

Velcro!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Believe me, I've tried everything (packing tape, glue gun, that blue sticky stuff at teacher supply stores--"tacky" something, picture hanger adhesives, even chewing gum!) and the only thing that reliably works is velcro. They make in packages with the pre-cut dots, but the strips on a roll are stronger and cheaper. It really works, believe me! I not only have cinder blocks, but it's had about 10 coats of paint on it. I also have a very old, very strong air-conditioner blowing toward the wall, and nothing ever falls off, the whole year!
Good luck!
LoneStarTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Volleyann

Walls
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the same kind of walls. I have found that hot glue works the best. I have also used the double sided sticky tape. Some brands are better than others.
Volleyann is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

try this...
Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've had success with the wide, clear, packing tape (not the kind with string running through it) like librarians use. I can find it at dollar type stores for under $1.00 a roll and always keep spare rolls in my desk since everyone else borrows it. The stuff works. Posters and artwork come down when I want them to, and the tape leaves no sticky residue.
Good luck and congrats on your job!

bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kiki

Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Also try stikki clips or sticky wax. It's real wax and I've had good luck with it!
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

hot glue
Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use hot glue on mine. Things rarely fall; some have been up for years, like my alphabet. Sometimes the glue can be hard to remove. The only time it's caused a problem with the paint is when I've tried to scrape it to get it off. I heard somewhere this summer (probably here) that avoiding multi-temp and low-temp guns and glue sticks can help--which is what I've been using.
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

camillew

Kiki
Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What do you use to get it OFF? I actually did ask my AP what I could use, and she said no to the glue gun and proceeded to give me 3 packs of stikki clips.

It goes up beautifully, but now I need to move some stuff around and I can't get it off completely... Oh, and this is on regular (painted drywall) and on the painted cinders.
camillew is offline   Reply With Quote

FL

Duct tape!!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Love the stuff...admin could believe that is what I hung all of my items with!! I have cinder block wall, paint boring white!! So I hang alot of stuff. Make sure everything you have is laminated. The duct tape peals nicely off lamination. I even hung plastic table cloths from ceiling with duct tape.
FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have had good luck with blue sticky tack/poster putty. I put a link to some that is available at Office Max, but often you can find it elsewhere. The blue works best!!

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=-536892093
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrmybiz

Re: Painted cinderblock walls
Old 08-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I second the blue sticky-tack. I use strictly the Handi-tak (I think that's how you spell it) brand. I have a ball of sticky tack I have used year after year for over 14 years. I can stick something up with that stuff and it'll stay all year. Laminated things work better especially since the stuff comes off easier and I always reuse. Sometimes my students ask to keep the sticky tack when they help me tear down or put stuff up, and I always have to smile and let them know I literally use it over and over and over again. I originally used blue, and then could only find yellow and now my tack ball is GREEN and works even better than it used to. I think it's the dirt and oils of mine and the kids' hands that adds to the sticky effect. Be sure to put it on all corners and sides and parts that stick out etc....I roll it into a small pea-size ball and attach it to the back side. Then, when you stick it to the wall use lots of pressure and be sure to push hard on all spots that have the tack on the back. I SWEAR by this stuff and never any troubles getting it off the wall or pealing paint or upset janitors or principals!
kidsrmybiz is offline   Reply With Quote

hazeleyesinnc

Old 08-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with the "blue"- I've used it for years and this year I had trouble finding it, so I got some from Staples.......I'll try that and see how that works. Getting ready to put up stuff this week and next.
hazeleyesinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

GigglesnGrins

Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use stikki wax or stikki clips on my cinder block walls. I tried it for the first time last year and it was the first year that I didn't have to redo my wall after Christmas Break.
GigglesnGrins is offline   Reply With Quote

itechkdz

Old 08-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

For my posters and things that stay up all year I used 3M Command strips. Nothing fell down, even my calandar that get pulled on a lot with changing dates and all. I have also used a tape called Mavalous (sp) they sell at teacher stores or at least in CO.
itechkdz is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 08-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

the only thing I have had success with is the stikki clips. To hang posters, I put the clips around the four corners. They stay up all year! I left the clips on the wall (just popped the posters out) so I am hoping they are still hanging on the wall when I get back!
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

UrbanTEacher

Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I used a staple gun on mine.
UrbanTEacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnbrenner

I have the same problem
Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Here is what I have found because my ciderblocks get damp and the blue tack doesn't work. The 3M tabs that are used behind those plastic hooks. I cut them down the center so that I can use one tab for two corners of the poster. I know that they are expensive but it is well worth not having posters fall down every day!
dawnbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote