vacation homework - ProTeacher Community

Reneepooh

Reneepooh

vacation homework
Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for ideas for vacation projects for 5th graders. They worked on autobiography boxes during Christmas vacation but my mind is blank and can't think of something fun and exciting. Help!

musicbug

Projects for vacation
Old 02-16-2006, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are working on The Revolution or the Civil War have the kiddos make trading cards with pictures of important personages on one side an a short factual paragraph and other bio infromation on the back.Use either 3by 5 or 4by 6 cards. I use the later. I have each kiddo make 6-8 cards.Hope it helps.
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

why vacation?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know this isn't what you asked, but I'm just curious...... why do you have the kids do projects during vacation?
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mysticme

Language Arts
Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Rather than take away from my student's vacations, I wanted to enrich them and get them thinking about the things they are experiencing. The Independent Study Contract I use for Language Arts has four sections:

1. Vocabulary - Choose five words that are new to you and reflect the culture of the place you are visiting. For each of the five words, provide definitions, use in a sentence, identify which part of speech it is, and divide into syllables.

2. Writing – Spend 15-20 minutes writing to one of these prompts...
•Close your eyes and imagine the most interesting place you have seen so far on vacation. Describe it using all of your senses. What did it look like, sound like, smell like, etc. Be as descriptive as you can.
•Think of all the ways your life would be different if you lived in the place you are visiting instead of Irvine.

3. Comprehension Skill – Complete the Venn diagram below, choosing your topic from this list of things to compare and contrast.
•The lifestyle at home vs. the place you are visiting
•Your bedroom vs. the hotel room or place you are staying
•A typical day back home vs. a typical day on vacation

4. Speaking – Be prepared to give the class a five minute presentation telling about your trip when you return.

Hope that helps! I also give them one assignment in Science, Social Studies, and Math, as mandated by my district.
mysticme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sara

Vacation Projects
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Similar to what mysticme said, use their trip to be a learning experience.

If going to Hawaii, draw a map with the plotted plane route. Write about the animals you see. For math calcuate the miles traveled.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
burned out

burned out

That's why they're called vacations
Old 02-22-2006, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Consider letting them have a vacation,pure and simple. Everyone needs to change their batteries once in a while. Don't burn them out before they get their first blackberry.
reneepooh

reneepooh

Old 02-26-2006, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I try to give them something creative to do, because most of them will not be traveling or participating in a program. I want them to be able to continue to practice what they have been learning in the classroom and also accomplish something that they could be proud of.

PrivateEyes

How would you feel....
Old 02-26-2006, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One of the teachers on my grade level has been saying something like....
"I hope they don't give us something stupid to do during spring break." I've been saying that I have no intention of doing anything I don't want to during spring break. That is not a part of my contracted hours, and I've been working hard, and I deserve that spring break.

I didn't realize my principal was being so considerate of us, since I'm not planning on travelling or anything. Perhaps she wants me to continue to practice what I've been learning in the classroom and accomplish something I'd be proud of?

I know that's a bit sarcastic, but I'm a mom and a teacher, and I HATE VACATION HOMEWORK! I have big plans for my vacation, which include catching up on things I've been neglecting, some vegetating, and some recreating. I also plan to have my kids catch up on stuff they've not had time to do during the school year (like deep clean their rooms), some day trips with Mom and Dad, etc. I would be really irked if mandatory homework were assigned them or me.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Brooke

Brooke

my thoughts
Old 02-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like mysticme's idea for vacationers who are leaving classes behind and enjoying vacation while their classmates are left behind in classes. I've just spent more time than I wish planning work for a student who is travelling next week. Our school break was this week. I'm going to send along mysticme's ideas.

As a parent I long for the vacation breaks when the pressure of homework is lessened. My son generally gets some homework over vacation, and last week my students may have been working on a project too. This "vacation" homework is usually a project that was assigned two or three weeks before the break.

Truthfully though, I think a break without homework would be wonderful. I know I've been working all week on catch-up work or planning. Vacations are supposed to rejuvenate. Thankfully I did take a two day trip so I feel like I did live a little!

EC

5th graders need a break
Old 02-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't give homework over the weekend or over vacation. These kids are 10-11 years old. Let them be kids! Besides, I work them hard enough during the week. I encourage reading over the weekend and during vacation; sometimes I recommend a movie or play that's coming out. I have given extra credit to kids who visit museums with special displays that are related to our curriculum, but never anything that MUST be done.
EC is offline   Reply With Quote
EC, Brooke,

EC, Brooke,

Old 03-19-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks to all who responded. I have talked with my students and we have come to an agreement that if they do not miss more than five homework assignments in the month of March they will not have vacation homework.

ShirleyHolmes

extra credit work
Old 03-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I like sending home extra credit work. I teach 2nd grade. I send home a tic tac toe type board of 9 different assignments that they get one point each for. They are all easy things that the kids can do if they get bored. It is not required, but I did it over winter break and the kids said they liked the activities.
ShirleyHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote